Sunday, December 6, 2015

3.18 The Rescue Part 2


They drove for several miles in silence. Quentin stared sullenly out the window before turning his gaze towards Don. His heart still longed with unrequited love for him. "Don what if Heath really is dead?" he asked trying to keep his feelings hidden.

Don clenched the steering wheel turning his knuckles white "I can't think about that. He's alive. I have to believe that he is. I...." He struggled to form the words he needed. He knew Quentin had feelings for him. Heath had told him during their time in the bubble universe. He liked the werewolf as a friend. He doubted that would change even if Heath wasn't in the picture.

"Didn't you feel anything for me?" Quentin asked struggling to keep his voice steady free from resentment despite the hollow feeling growing in the pit of his stomach. "I've liked you since the day we met..."

"I'm sorry," Don shook his head "I wish I could tell you otherwise but I can't. I've only ever liked Heath even when I thought he'd never feel the same way about me." He glanced over at his friend
"Quentin I'm sorry I never knew how you felt. I thought we were friends. I never meant to hurt you."

Swiping at his eyes "I know. I should have told you how I felt a long time ago. I'm sorry for bringing it up now." Quentin sighed turning his gaze out the window "you should turn up here. The portal to Midnight Hollow should be along this road."


Following his directions Don made the turn. "It doesn't look like this road is maintained. We may have to walk."

"Pull over," Quentin demanded "pull into driveway and park the car." He got out of the car shaking his head. When Don joined him he apologized "I shouldn't have had you turn here. It could be a trap. I wasn't thinking. Alessandro's men could be lurking about."

"I doubt that," Don told him "most of them have probably either run off or in battle."

"I hope you're right " he stared a Don's stomach "are you able to walk? I mean for long distances?"

"I'm pregnant not an invalid," Don scowled at the werewolf.


Shrugging he decided against saying anything else. Quentin just turned and started walking through the woods positive Don would follow.

***

Heath moaned as he regained consciousness. What happened? It felt like he had been hit by a truck then flattened by a steamroller. He tried to sit up but his body felt weighted down and the pain shooting through his body almost sent him back to oblivion. Swallowing several times to settle his stomach he liked his dry cracked lips forcing his mind to remember.

The last thing he remembered was knocking the dark haired girl over. She lay unconscious on the floor. He ran for the stairs. Something or someone hit him sending him backwards down the stairs. The familiar face of his attacker sent jolts of fear and revulsion through him. He knew that face. She was the bad lady from his childhood nightmares. She had knocked him down the stairs without a shred of concern for the damage it would cause. His body felt smashed beyond repair.

Moaning he moved slowly as he tried to sit up. Someone must have put him back in his cell. Was this his life? Was there something else out there? Someone else out there? He had to believe there was. The little girl of his dreams ... he was positive she was his daughter. He wasnt sure why but it felt like she was trying to communicate with him. Maybe if his mind would clear he would have his answers and things would make sense. Lying back he knew he wasn't going to get out of this on his own.

***

Alessandro stood before Adam defeated but defiant. "I should never have bestowed the heirship onto you," he spat "you're not even a fully transformed vampire. I refuse to yield to you."


"It doesn't matter if you yield or not," Adam spat at him "your rulership is over. The people of have spoken."

"I still have loyal supporters willing to do my bidding," Alessandro assured him "I will rise again." He looked out towards the assembled crowd "my loyal subjects will rally to support me."

Adam had o shout to be heard over the growing unease of the gathered crowd. "I don't think you can count on the people to save you Alessandro. You have oppressed them long enough."

"The people don't know what's good for them. That's why they needed to be ruled with an iron fist." he declared looking out into the crowd "they have forgotten all the good I have done for them."

"We shall see," Adam told him "we will hold you accountable for your crimes..."


"You can not judge me by mere human standards. I'm above all that. I'm the supreme ruler. Everyone bows down to me. They do my will." Alessandro stepped close to Adam "I am superior to you in every way."

"If that were true then you would have been able to procure an heir instead of adopting me, your brothers progeny." Adam turned his back on him to address the people.

Alessandro sneered as gripped the knife his loyal werewolf elder had given him before dying at his feet. He lunged forward towards Adams unprotected back to the horror of the watching crowd.

***

They approached the portal after Quentin had scouted the area. They froze when a male vioce commanded them to halt. A young male with purple highlighted hair approached them. Quentin growled as he sniffed the air  unable to pic up the strangers scent. "What are you?"

"I'm an IF. We don't give off a scent for werewolves to follow." He rolled his eyes "you should know that if you were a properly trained werewolf," he added unable to keep from taunting the boy.


Don held a hand up to stop Quentin from attacking the man. "Get a grip," he said under his breath "who are you?" he asked the man.

"I could be a friend if your the man I seek," he said in response to Don's question.

"Who do you seek?" Don asked feeling like he was in a bad role play game.

A slight smirk brightened the strangers features "I have a message of someone by the name of Don Olivia from his twin sister Dana." He stepped several steps back as Quentin's growling increased.

"Give me the message," Don demanded ignoring his friend "I'm the one you seek."



Eyeing the angry werewolf the man took a piece of folded paper from his pocket. "She told me to give this to you."

Don took the note frowning as he read it. He sensed Quentin come up beside him. "She says she's sorry. That she'll help us get Heath to safety. She say's we need to hurry because Heath is hurt and needs medical attention."

"Can we trust her?" Quentin asked baring his teeth.

"I doubt it" Don acknowledged "but she has a soft spot for Heath. He's her obsession. If he's hurt it's entirely possible she'll do whatever it takes to help him."

"If I help you," the man interrupted them "can I come with you?"


"You know where we're going," Quentin told him "we can't keep you from following us to Midnight Hollow."

"No I don't mean there. I mean to wherever you go afterwards. I'm a halfling and I'm tired of living where I don't belong and hated because of my human half."

Quentin sniffed the air picking up the strangers scent. Growling softly he said "why am I picking up your scent?"

"It takes a lot out of me to suppress my scent. Not ever halfling can do it. It's taken me a lot of practice." He looked towards the two men "please I'm begging you. Let me help you and once you're away from Midnight Hollow you'll never see me again."

Don turned to Quentin "we could use someone with his knowledge of Midnight Hollow."


"We could but can we trust him?"

***

Adam sensed something was wrong by the reaction of the assembled people. He tried to turn an defend himself but Alessandro was already upon him slashing out with the knife. He felt the knife slice through his back. Felt the warmth of his blood as it gushed from the wound. He fell to his knees as he brought a hand to his side to stop the flow of blood. He looked up into the angry vengeful eyes of his sworn enemy. "I win" Alessandro sneered down at him.

Adam stared up at the man who had made his and his families lives a misery since the day they met. He couldn't believe this was how it was going to end. Defeated by the hands of his enemy. With his death the hope of the people died with him. Mustering what remaining strength he had Adam gripped the dagger Alanon had insisted he carry. He wouldn't let the people suffer on his account. He mumbled something so low that Alessandro strained to  hear.

"What was that?" he asked "Pleading for your miserable life?"Alessandro taunted. Turning to the crowd "I'll have all of you punished for this act of rebellion against me. I'll punish you and all the generations that follow you. First I'll have your would be leader's head mounted on my wall." He rushed towards Adam. He was still kneeling holding his side. He was giving the appearance of everything that was weak and detestable.

Adam could feel his end was near seeping between his fingers but he wouldn't go until he gave his followers one last gift. He knew Alessandro would come in close to finish him off. Hoping he would want to savor his victims face as he breathed his last. Adam gripped the hidden dagger until he felt Alessandro rest the cold metal of his sword on his bowed and bent neck. Lounging forward Adam drove the dagger deep into Alessandros stomach. He felt the swords razor edge slice into his neck as he lunged but he didn't care. It was do or die more likely both.


Ambrogio watched frozen as Adam toppled on top of Alessandro having expended whatever strength he had in attacking Alessandro. Fear coursed through him as he realized he would be facing death again at the hands of his brother. A hate he didn't fully realize he had burned inside him. If it weren't for this brother turning him into a vampire he would never have met Silver. Everything he suffered since then was all Alessandros fault. The loss of his son. Not seeing him grow up. Everything welled up inside him as he watched Alessandro push Adam from on top of him.

Alessandro staggered to his feet pulling the dagger from his stomach and tossed it to the ground as if it were nothing. Screaming in rage he turned to address the people.

***

"How do I know if I can trust you?" the halfling retorted shrugging. He stared at the werewolf a moment before sticking his hand out to Don "I'm Reggie by the way." He smiled slightly as the wolf growled in disapproval or jealousy. He couldn't tell which.

Ignoring the growl Don reached for the halflings hand "I'm Don and this is Quentin."

Winking at Don the man asked "is he your mate?"


"No." Don almost choked "he's helping me rescue my mate."

"Ah that Heath you were speaking of?" Reggie asked then added "good less competition for me." He gave Quentin an appraising glance as he walked up to the portal. "We best get going before the war is over and Alessandro sends his men back to guard the portals."

Grabbing Reggie's arm Quentin demanded "so we've lost the war?" His heart was pounding fast in his chest. He longed to rejoin his pack. Now that would be impossible.

Nodding Reggie sighed "we hoped this was the end of Alessandro's tyranny but the last report I received was Alessandro attacked Adam and took him out. All is lost my friend. Which is another reason why I want out of Midnight Hollow."

"If you don't like Alessandro why didn't you go and fight with the rebellion?" Quentin asked.



"Oh I wanted to but they wouldn't let halflings join," Reggie explained.

"That doesn't sound like Adam," Don protested "he would have accepted halflings..."

"No doubt he would but my pure bred IF leaders wouldn't." Shrugging he continued "so here I am." He pressed some buttons and a moment later they materialized in Midnight Hollow "helping you rescue your mate." He helped Don from the platform "you should rest a moment in your condition. You should be careful that you don't over do it." Laughing when he heard the disapproving growl coming from behind him.

***

Shaking his head Ambrogio stared at Adam's fallen body then glared at Alessandro's back. Moving with the speed his vampire powers provided he swooped up Adam's discarded dagger and plunged it into his brother's back. "You don't get to win. Not this time."

Alessandro staggered to his knees staring in disbelief at this brother. "You can't do this to me. I am your master."


"No Alessandro," he pointed towards Adam "he's my master." There was a  growing rumble as the gathered vampires who had sided with Adam realized their allegiance was still with their fallen master. They rose in mass and rid the remnants of Alessandro's loyal supporters.

For the first time Alessandro felt the first stirrings of fear as the people stood against him. "Why are you doing this to me?" he asked his brother.

"Because of all the promises you broke. The pain you caused." Ambrogio shook his head in disbelief at his older brother. He turned aside when several vampires took Alessandro and led him away to be executed. He staggered to his knees covering his ears with his hands trying to block the screams for leniency. Alessandro may have been a cold blooded monster but he was also his brother. Ambrogio couldn't forgive him his crimes but he couldn't bring himself to witness his execution either. "How is he?" he asked Alanon who was inspecting Adam's wounds.

Sitting back rubbing his chin Alanon sighed "not good not good at all." He moved aside for the healers to attend to him "we'll need to prepare the stasis chamber if it isn't already too late," he instructed.

"No need to wait," one of the healers said "Alessandro hat them prepared several days ago in preparation for battle. It's how he always healed so fast. We've always kept it ready."


"That's good," Alanon watched as they moved Adam onto a stretcher before adding "be careful with him he is pregnant with the heir." He chuckled at their combined looks of astonishment. "Don't be so surprised halflings do it all the time."

"But he's not...."

"No he's not What he is is a modified human thanks to alien technology. I'll explain everything later just heal our leader before he expires." Alanon turned to look at Ambrogio but his words were drowned out by the shouts and cheers from the crowd who had witnessed Alessandro's beheading.

"Well it's done," Ambrogio said his tone flat.

"It had to be done," Alanon told him.


"I know but he was my brother. I mourn what could have been not what he was." Ambrogio told him. Giving his old friend an appraising look he continued "now tell me what you did to Heath."

"What do you mean?" Alanon asked a look of wounded indignation came over his face.

"You gave Heath something to mimic death. Why?" Ambrogio demanded not be be put off.

Hesitating a moment Alanon nodded "I did it was the only way to ignite Adam's fire. To make him strong enough to lead the people to victory."

Frowning Ambrogio too a step closer to Alanon grabbing his arms. "Where did you get the serum?" he nearly hissed the words he was so angry.


"From an IF," Alanon said shaking Ambrogio's hands from him "she promised to see he got home safe."

"What?" Ambrogio shouted "they came and took him?"

"Yes she and her daughter," Alanon shook his "I don't understand. Why are you so upset? The IF's are our allies. Heath is safe. Once Adam is healed we'll tell him the good news."

Ignoring him Ambrogio asked "what IF promised you his safety? Tell me Alanon it's important."

"Windy...."


"Damn" Ambrogio clinched his fists wanting to pound them into Alanon's face.

"I don't understand," Alanon repeated taking a step back from the anger radiating from Ambrogio.

"Of course you don't," he yelled "If you had only talked to me I could have told you that Windy was after only one thing. You do know what an IF's primary goal is don't you?"

Nodding he muttered "to kill the one who gave them life."

"Right I'll give you one guess who that is."


"No it can't be," Alanon gulped realizing his mistake "oh no than she's....."

"Yeah she's Heath's mother. There's nothing we'll be able to do to stop Adam from going after him."

"Yes there is," Alanon said with determination "we go and rescue Heath before Adam wakes up. We'll have his son hear safe and sound when he wakes up."

***

Dana sneaked into the basement after Windy hand gone to bed. Opening Heath's cell she approached the bed cautiously "are you awake?"

Moaning Heath opened his eyes "yes what do you want?"


"I've come to get you out of here," she moved to help him from the bed "we'll have to move quickly before Windy wakes up." 

Eyeing her suspiciously Heath asked "why are you helping me? I thought I was your husband."

Hanging her head Dana sighed I wanted to be your wife. I had it all planned since I was twelve years old. You never saw me though. I let that fester inside me until I became this person." Sighing she continued "who am I kidding I was always this person. Thinking I could take what I wanted. I'm sorry. I know you don't love me. You belong with Don and your daughter. I know that now."

Leaning heavily on her Heath tried to hold back a cry of pain "I don't think I can do this."

"I'll have to carry you," Dana told him.


"You can't do that," Heath protested.

"I did when we brought you here. I can do it again." She adjusted her hold "see easy as pie." She grunted moving towards the stairs.

They made it through the dark house and opened the door when Windy shouted from behind them. 
"Stop you ungrateful girl."

Dana turned to stare at Windy holding a gun on her. "He's my only chance to lure his father into my trap. Put him down. Then you can go."

"What if I don't?" Dana asked trying to ignore the gun pointing at her.


"Then you die," Windy shot twice point blank before the girl had a chance to decide.

Heath fell heavily to the ground looking towards Dana he knew she was gone by the glassy-eyed stare she was giving him. He tried to crawl away but knew the woman with the gun was behind him. Would she shoot him too? He covered his head as people jumped from the trees and shots rang through the air. Windy shot a couple of times before she was over powered. She lay on the ground shackled and hurling insults to any one within hearing.  

A young man dropped beside Dana's prone body. Heath watched as the man reached out and touched her. Despite the tears rolling down his cheeks Heath would have recognized his eyes anywhere. He was the owner of the light blue eyes that have haunted his dreams for days. "Don?" he whispered. The man looked up and moving swiftly pulling him into a fierce hug as they both gave way to a torrent of tears.




4 comments:

  1. Well that sucks for Dana. But at least she tried to do the right thing. As for Alanon's mistake--that was unexpected. He's always the smart one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once Dana made up her mind nothing was going to stop her. Much like she was when she saved her family from her grandfather's murderous intent. She wasn't completely evil just obsessed unfortunately she paid the ultimate price. Alanon thought he was pretty smart too! He was only thinking about what was best for the rebellion and he needed something to motivate Adam to stand up and fight. He should have been more cautious knowing that Heath was a halfling. He may have thought that Adam's IF was already destroyed...I don't know but he really was thinking when he accepted the offer. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Wow, was not expecting Dana to die! After she changed her ways and everything. Probably should have taken that gun more seriously. But at least Quenton gets a love interest, right? :0 I can only imagine what Adam will think when he wakes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt bad for her but ultimately it was the best solution to her obsession. She paid the ultimate price but she let her true colors out so it wasn't all bad. Quentin just might have a love interest, he just doesn't know it yet. Adam will be ecstatic to find out Heath is alive....they've both been through more than enough. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete