Sunday, January 18, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 28 - First Impressions


It was early, much too early for anyone to be ringing his door bell. Adam grabbed his robe, shoving his arms into as he stomped down the stairs muttering. Swinging the door open he growled "what do you want?"


A young red haired, green eyed girl stumbled backwards away from the door. She appeared to be frightened at the harsh almost angry response she received to her early arrival. Mustering her courage she lifted her chin and gazed up at the handsome young man standing in the doorway. His frown lifted and disappeared as they stared at each other. "I'm sorry," she mumbled "I hadn't realized it was so early."

Smiling faintly Adam stretched out his hand, when she took it he asked "can I help you?" He looked past her towards the road then back at her "did your car break down or something?"


Shaking her head "no I ... I came in a taxi," she bit her lip at a loss for words. Sighing she could see this was a mistake just showing up unannounced. Her curiosity had gotten the better of her and on impulse she decided to meet the family she would be living with in Oasis Landing. As her thoughts drifted, she realized she was still holding his hand, dropping it like it was a hot potato she noticed the slight frown that flashed across the his face. "Where are my manners?" she laughed self-consciously "I'm Beverly, Beverly Bennett." Looking past Adam's shoulder into the house beyond she continued "I was told a Mr. Van Winkle lived here."

The man smirked "I'm Adam Van Winkle," he stood aside asking "would you like to come in?"


Nodding Beverly stepped past him and into the foyer. Looking around her then back at Adam she felt butterflies fluttering inside as she realized her assumption of the man she would be living with was all wrong.  He was much younger than she had imagined and better looking. "I really am sorry for coming so early. I've heard so much about you from my dad and brother.  I just wanted to meet you before we were stuck in the same house together." She struggled to maintain a nonchalant attitude while she withered away from embarrassment inside.

"You're the girl?" Adam stammered unable to hide his astonishment. "Robert mentioned he had a sister into technology and robotics I just didn't put two and two together." His voice faded as he looked down at his feet then glanced over at Beverly fiddling with his robe tie wishing he had taken the time to get dressed. Cinching his robe closed he muttered "I'm sorry for being so rude before when I answered the door."

"It's ok you weren't expecting me," she murmured "I should have called first."


Motioning towards the living room "come in have a seat," Adam offered. "Would you like something to eat? Drink?"

"Water please."


Nodding Adam went on his errand, shaking his head wondering how he hadn't pieced it together. It was a relief to know the girl would be someone he knew, however remotely. Carrying the water back he smiled noticing for the first time how pretty she was, feeling that maybe this wasn't going to be so bad after all. Handing her the water he asked "How is Robert? I haven't heard from him in a while."

Her eyes welled up as she replied "he and his family disappeared a couple months ago and nobody knows where they are."


Sitting beside her he put an arm around her "I'm sorry I didn't know." He was silent allowing her time to compose herself.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled sitting up scooting away putting distance between herself and Adam. "We hardly know each other. You must think I'm an emotional wreck for dumping this on you."

Shaking his head he softly responded "no I see someone who cares deeply for the welfare of her brother." Getting up "I should go get dressed. Make yourself at home."


Absently she nodded as she watched him leave. What was she doing here? The simple answer, she was curious but if she admitted it to herself she just wanted to get away. Away from the stresses of being at home, where the void Robert left in the family was unavoidable and palatable. She loved her brother but she couldn't sit around and wait for him to come home or for word on his whereabouts. What if he never came home? What if they were already dead? Shaking the thoughts away she remembered how her dad had tried to convince her not to come here. She understood that he was having trouble coping and didn't want another child beyond his reach. As much as his distress saddened her she had to get on with her life.


She was so deep in thought she didn't notice the little boy who had come into the living room until his voice intruded upon her thoughts "are you alright?" Heart skipping a beat she looked into the concerned face of a little boy with blue eyes and hair. "I could go get my dad. He could help you."

"No I'm alright," she smiled at him "I'm Beverly."

He scrunched up his face as if he didn't believe she was ok "I'm Heath," waving his hand as Adam entered the room "and that's my Dad."


Looking from Heath to Adam and the little girl in his arms Beverly asked "are these your kids?"

"Yes," Adam said putting Irissa down. "Didn't Robert tell you? He and I spent a lot of time together aboard the alien ship. His little girl is just about the same age as mine; although Irissa is a little older since she was a preemie."

"Daddy do you know this lady?" Heath interrupted with a note of apprehension in his voice.


Kneeling Adam asked "do you remember Robert and William?" Heath nodded "well this is Robert's sister Beverly. She's going to live with us while we're in Oasis Landing."

Beverly observed how father and son interacted and she liked what she saw. Adam took the time to reassure his son despite the abundance of questions that Heath shot at him, never once losing his patience. She watched as Heath smiled seeming to be satisfied that she was there to help them. Heath went over to his sister and started to play with her but Beverly could tell he was listening to the conversation that she and Adam were having.


"Not many parents are as open minded as you to allow their child to color their hair at such a young age," Beverly noted playfully after watching Heath a while.

"It's not colored," Heath announced, confirming that he was indeed listening "it's real."

"It can't be," Beverly laughed thinking he was joking.

Indignant putting hands on hips Heath repeated "It is real. Just ask daddy. I was born with blue hair." Turning to Adam he demanded "tell her it's real because Windy was an imaginary friend and she had blue hair."


Confusion overwhelmed her as she looked from father and son. Turning towards Heath she tried to reason "imaginary friends don't exist..."

"They do," Heath narrowed his eyes at her "I bet you had one but didn't know how to make her real."

Nodding her head "I had one when I was little. I still have that old doll somewhere. But that's all it was, a doll." She turned concerned eyes to Adam hoping he would jump in and correct his son.


Adam smiled slightly "my son's right. There's a formula you can use to turn the doll as you call it real." Shrugging Adam looked away "I discovered the formula while I was working on my chemistry set. I used it on my imaginary friend, I half expected it not to work but it did. My son is half IF and he inherited his mother's blue hair."

"Where is his mother now?" Beverly asked still trying to wrap her mind around this. Why was it so difficult to believe? Really it wasn't not compared with alien abductions and men having babies.

Before Adam was able to reply Heath answered "Windy is a bad lady and the dragons won't let her come here and hurt us."

"Dragons?" Beverly asked feeling like she had fallen down the rabbit hole and traded places with Alice.


Rolling is his eyes at her "Dad you're gonna have to show her."

Smiling Adam enjoyed how well Heath seemed to be warming up to their guest. Normally he would ignore the few women that Adam had ever brought home. "I think your right. Which one should I show her?"

Looking over at Beverly sitting on the couch "the purple one." Heath grinned "she's a girl and will think it's pretty or something lame like that."

Bringing a hand to her mouth to muffle the laughter that threatened to bubble out, Beverly's eyes sparkled. She could watch this father and son pair all day and was half embarrassed to admit to herself how easily she could fall in love with them. After Adam left on his errand to find the purple dragon, Beverly slipped from the couch and joined the children on the floor. Glancing up, Heath nodded towards her acknowledging her presence. Irissa inched closer pulling her hair "pretty."

 

"Ouch" Beverly mumbled trying to untangle her fingers from her hair. Despite his attempts to refrain from laughing Heath snorted with enjoyment. Ignoring him Beverly set Irissa in her lap "you're going to be a real beauty when you grow up. A real heart breaker like your big brother."

Snorting again Heath retorted "am not. Girls are way too much trouble."

Winking at him "oh you'll change your mind. Wait and see."

"No I won't," Heath shook his head despite the fact he enjoyed being teased by her.

Undaunted by his response, Beverly reached over and wrestled him to the floor tickling him. Squealing in delight Irissa joined her high pitched giggles with that of her brothers.


Stopping in the archway holding the purple dragon, Adam silently watched.  He realized how much his children were missing by not having a mother. He had tried to be as good a father as circumstances had allowed but at this moment he felt the void in his children's lives acutely. Once again he felt like the outsider looking in on the life he wished he had.

 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Woah, was not expecting Bev at all! Kinda glad we get to see more of her. Heath is hilarious, typical little boy. I think it's hilarious that Adam was just walking around in his underwear lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purposely kept Beverly's presence in NSOL low profile knowing she her story was going to be told along side the remainder of Adams. She's perfect. When I brought in the attraction hearts were flying and they only had eyes for each other. Love at first sight! I'm looking forward to Gen 3 and telling Heath's story. Adam seems to be in his underwear a lot LOL but seriously Beverly woke him up, so what else was he going to be wearing?

      Delete
  2. Beverly. :D Awww. How cute. We also know Beverly is normal LOL, thank god. Adam needs normal in his life. Hehe, Beverly got a sneak peek of Adam cause she woke him up. XD
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but were there IFs in your other legacy? I'd probably lean towards not since Beverly is foreign to the concept. Forgive me, I read too many stories, sometimes I get them mixed up when people use similar blog backgrounds LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly is normal although she understands odd LOL Good thing too since Adam's life is anything but normal. Beverly will be good for Adam. Yep and she liked what she saw ;)
      No IF's in NSOL so they were just dolls to them. Beverly never knew that was a possibility but the idea didn't scare her off though. Strange yes but not out of the realm of possibility after all her brother and dad both gave birth to alien babies.
      No problem I completely understand. It's hard to keep them all straight.

      Delete