Thursday, June 18, 2015

3.3 Who is Ambrogio? Part 1


Heath woke to the sound of the lock clicking in their cell door. Opening his eyes he could see a beam of light from the corridor beyond filter into the room. Groping for his shoes he left beside the bed the night before they were the best and only weapon he had beyond his bare fists. Heath watched as a figure of a man silhouetted in the light enter into their cell. Recognizing the man Heath almost gasped aloud. "Emit?" he whispered careful to keep his volume low so as not to disturb Don who was sleeping beside him.

"Sorry no," came the reply.

"Ambrogio?" Heath questioned confused recognizing the voice he had heard countless times in his head.

"You're getting warmer," the man said laughing.

"I hate guessing games," Heath growled.


Closing the door behind him the room was once again in complete darkness. "Lovely accommodations you have here," the man said flippantly.

"Who are you?" Heath asked standing up from the bed.

"Who else do you know who has blue hair and a remarkable resemblance to Emit?" came the reply.

"Logan," Heath felt as if had jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

Laughing audibly the man lit a candle "don't worry kid I am also Ambrogio." He set the candle on the edge of the sink. "I promised your dad I would get you to safety."


"I'm not going anywhere with you," Heath said crossing his arms across his chest. "You led my dad into a trap. Helped turn him into vampire. Why would I trust you?"

"No doubt your dad would feel the same way," shrugging "I seem to have that effect on people," 
Logan/Ambrogio said. "Look kid, we don't have time for this. The Watchers are on their way here to get you and Dana..."

"Why? I don't understand," Heath said running his hands through  his hair "I should be at home getting ready for college. Not locked up in some crazy woman's basement," he muttered to himself.

"What can I tell ya kid, life sucks sometimes," Logan/Ambrogio told him "I wasn't kidding about the promise I made your dad. We need to go."

"Where is my dad?" Heath questioned "why didn't he come himself?"


"The Watchers attacked Percy and Shon while they were taking Quentin to Bridgeport. Your dad has the ability to heal them with his untainted blood. Since Adam couldn't be in two places at once we split up." He looked at Heath "I'm taking a huge risk materializing in this form to help you. The Watchers have been searching for Logan ever since William returned the children to Moonlight Falls. They think Logan betrayed them."

"Which you did," Heath said eyeing the man carefully.

"Naturally," Logan/Ambrogio grinned "I can see you have questions. I'll explain all of this to you later once we are away from here."

"Not without Don," Heath turned towards his friend.

"Can he travel?" Logan/Ambrogio asked.


"Not without help," Heath said as he turned to wake his friend. Helping Don to his feet while Logan/Ambrogio stood back and watched lost in his own thoughts. 

Ambrogio wasn't prepared for the uncanny resemblance Don had to the creator. He had to restrain himself from wanting to take the young male into his arms, embracing him. If all the plotting and planning he had done throughout the centuries worked out he would be reunited with the creator soon enough.

"What's happening?" Don asked his voice thick with confusion "who is he?"

"Shh it's someone come to help us," Heath said trying to calm him "we have to be quiet now."

Don took a couple of unsteady steps before falling weakly to the floor "You should go without me. I'll just slow you down."


"I won't leave you," Heath said kneeling beside him. Turning to Logan/Ambrogio "help me."

Shaking his head "we should do as he requested. He'll only slow us down. If The Watchers arrive before we make our escape they will force you to mate with Dana. After they have the infant they will have no need for any of you."

Don turned his light blue eyes towards Heath fear bright within them "you need to go."

Shaking his head "not without you." He grabbed Don and threw him across his shoulders shocked that he didn't weigh as much as he expected. He must have lost a lot of weight in the last couple of weeks imprisoned down here. "You ready?" Heath asked Logan/Ambrogio  who was waiting by the door for them. As he passed the man Heath was unable to read the expression in the mans eyes.

As Ambrogio watched the boy pick up his friend he felt a pang of jealousy cut through him. It was an unexpected and unwarranted response. He tried to shake it off knowing that soon he and the creator would be reunited and these young ones would be allowed to live their lives the way they were meant to. He knew the boy still had not figured out what was happening and the forces involved here. It was absolutely essential he bond with one of the creators descendants and whether he knew it or not he had already made his choice. 


Once they were out of the house Ambrogio led them towards the dense woods surrounding Midnight Hollow. He noticed Heath struggle with the extra weight of his burden. As much as he might want to help Ambrogio needed to keep his hands and mind free. If The Watchers ever found out who he truly was he was a dead man in more ways then one. Ambrogio was their most hated enemy. All the time he masqueraded before them as Logan they had never suspected. He had maintained the facade well. They hadn't known the difference when he had taken Logan's place after the explosion they used to kill Chase's mother went off killing both. It was a convenient opportunity that Ambrogio used to his advantage to work havoc within The Watchers. At times he had been forced to do some despicable things while pretending to be Logan  but in the end it gave him the ability to set certain things in motion.

He felt the first pains once they entered the forest. Shaking his head he tried to clear his mind. The Watchers had finally figured out his true identity and knew how to reach inside to Ambrogio and his vampire blood. He staggered falling to his knees. Heath saw him go down and turned to help. "No you must keep going. The Watchers are close. The cannot have you." Ambrogio pulled himself up seeing the indecision in Heath's eyes. "You and your father are so alike," he whispered to the boy. He made a hand motion the way the creator had taught him long ago and formed a bubble in time pushing Heath and Don inside it as The Watchers came into view. Abandoning the body he was in Ambrogio fled to the only being he knew who could handle his complete essence....

***


Resisting the urge to continue on towards Midnight Hollow Adam wondered how much he knew about Ambrogio the voice within his head. Could he really be trusted? He felt the pain Percy was in and knew he wasn't lying, Adam could feel the outside force that shattered his link to Percy. Turning to follow the path that Percy and Shon had taken earlier Adam knew he had to go back, he would never be able to look at his sister again without feeling guilty if Percy died. He had to trust that Ambrogio would keep his promise. 

Adam traveled fast relying upon his vampire senses in following the trail that his friends had made. Tripping over a root in his path Adam went sprawling. Landing hard he felt his air leave his lungs as he gasped for breath. Shakily he picked himself up jumping as he felt someone touch him. Smiling in relief when he recognized Shon "Ambrogio told me you guys were in trouble," Adam said in way of explanation. "Are you alright?" he asked looking at his friend with concern.

Nodding Shon said "yeah I think so. Just a bad headache from being hit over the head."

Looking around Adam frowned "where's Percy and Quentin?"

Waving his hand "over there." Shon led Adam to another small clearing. "I was afraid that whoever attacked us might come back." He watched as Adam check on them "I don't think they're going to make it."


"If Ambrogio's correct my blood will speed their recovery," Adam told him.

"What do you mean?" Shon asked watching Adam roll up his sleeves.

"Ambrogio informed me that my blood contains healing components since it's untainted by feeding on others." Looking up at Shon "what do we have to lose?"

Shaking Shon raked his hands through his messy dirty hair "nothing I guess." Watching Adam cut into his wrist so that his blood would flow he cringed "did you find the kids?"

"No I'm sorry," Adam looked up "I had to make a choice. If Windy took the kids simply to get me to come then they'll be ok until I get there but you guys might not have survived...."


"What if you're wrong?" Shon asked even though he already knew the answer. If Windy simply wanted to kill them they'd already be dead and nothing they did would change that.

Adam looked up sadly. What could he say? That he trusted the voice inside his head to rescue his son. It was better that Shon believe they were still dealing with the same entities they had been instead of trying to explain who and what The Watchers are. After giving as much of his blood to Percy and Quentin as could. Adam wrapped his wrist up and sat back realizing all they could do now was wait and see if it worked.

Standing Adam swayed as dizziness overtook him. "Are you alright?" Shon asked grabbing him so that he didn't fall.

"I think so," Adam blinked "weak I guess from blood loss." Shaking Shon's arm off Adam sat on the ground shaking. Groaning he looked up at Shon seeing a map of his capillaries and arteries. Squeezing his eyes shut he growled "Shon you should run ....now."

"What? Why?" Shon asked not liking how Adam was staring at him.


"I need to feed," Adam hugged his arms around himself "I gave them too much .... Please go.... I .... don't want to hurt you," Adam begged him.

"No I'll help you through this," Shon refused shaking his head "I know you Adam. You won't hurt me."

"I..I..."Adam whimpered baring his fangs "can't control it."

Running to their packs Shon searched frantically for their supply of plasma juice. Unable to find any he grabbed a plasma fruit. He felt rather then saw Adam lunge at him. Without thinking Shon shoved the fruit into Adam's mouth as he was about to bite. He watched as a look of confusion came into Adam's glowing eyes followed by awareness.

Adam scrambled away from Shon sucking on the plasma fruit. Trembling in shock and disgust with himself he covered his face in his hands crying "Oh god I'm so so sorry," he mumbled.


Shon grabbed a few more plasma fruit before he approached Adam. Eyeing Adam he cautiously he handed one to Adam "eat it," he commanded.

Slowly Adam held his hand out reaching for the fruit. After the third fruit he felt the blood thirst abate. The self-loathing remained. Hanging his head "I don't want to do this anymore...."

"You don't have a choice," Shon told him sitting beside him on the ground.

"I'm a monster...a blood thirsty monster that's dangerous...." he choked on his words crying.

Shon pulled him close "no your my best friend, a loving husband and father." Hugging him tight he continued "you need to stop seeing yourself as a monster."


Straining for emotional control Adam mumbled "I don't know how..."

Shon held him until he cried himself out wishing there was more he could do to help. "Is he alright?" Percy asked sitting up staring at them.

"I hope so," Shon murmured shifting Adam's weight onto the ground to check on Percy. "What about you?"

"Better," Percy said rubbing his neck.

"Good," Shon said checking on Quentin who seemed to be sleeping easier and no longer in pain. 

"Adam came back and gave you both some of his blood. Ambrogio told him it contained healing components that would help you. I guess he was right. You two almost died."


Percy stared over at Adam comprehension dawning on his handsome face "the blood loss must have drove  him into a blood thirst. Did he..."

Nodding "he tried," Shon admitted "I shoved a plasma fruit into his mouth. It brought him out of it but I thinks he's not handling it well."

"No I imagine not," Percy acknowledged sadly "we'll need to watch him closely. He's let depression drive him to try and kill himself before. What this will do to him is anyone's guess."

"All we can do now is hope for the best," Shon sighed hating how useless he was to help. He could only hope what he told Adam would have some benefit.

A few hours later Quentin woke up "What happened?" he asked groggily "where's Heath?" he asked trying to get to his feet.


Putting a restraining hand on his shoulder Percy forced him to sit down "not so fast. We'll explain everything."

"So that's it. Windy and Dana have them..." Quentin looked at the two older men.

"Calm down son," Percy told Quentin as he started to bristle and show his canines. "We didn't say we were giving up. We just need a different plan."

"First I suggest we rest," Shon said motioning towards the lightening sky indicating dawn was approaching. "Adam can't travel in the day light."

"We'll pitch the tent and put Adam inside for the day" Percy suggested "Shouldn't he be waking up it's been several hours since he was weakened from the blood loss"


"Do we have more plasma juice?" Shon asked "I couldn't find any earlier except for a few of the fruit I gave to Adam."

"They should be in Adam's pack," Percy said getting up "He took all of it when we split up." Handing one to Shon he asked "what are you planning on doing with it?"

"I think he's weak," Shon said rubbing his chin. "He may have gone into a coma maybe if we can feed him so he'll wake up."

Shrugging "it's worth a try," Percy agreed "Quentin you can sit with him first. Make sure he drinks all of this. Spoon feed it to him in small doses."

***


"Your friends are worried about you," Ambrogio told Adam rousing him from his stupor.

"I know," came Adam response "I don't have control of my body..." He resumed his struggle to regain consciousness.

Laughing Ambrogio told him "stop before you hurt yourself. You won't wake up until I want you too anyway."

"What?" Adam mumbled "Why are you doing this? Where is my son? What have you done to him?"

"So many questions. Don't you trust me?" Ambrogio laughed "Your son is safe. I put him and Don into a time bubble where they would be safe from The Watchers. It was the best I could manage with the limited time I had. The Watchers were coming."

"I thought The Watchers couldn't hurt you," Adam said confused.

"They can't unless I'm in corporeal form," laughing at Adam's confusion "I do have a body. One I hope to return to one day."

"If you have a body," Adam began "Why do you insist on being inside my head?"

"Because it's familiar," came the cryptic response "also you being a vampire your strong enough to handle my essence not just my voice. When the others hear me I'm still in you. But when I take corporeal form I have to leave you completely."


"I don't ... wait," Adam sighed appalled "that means that body....that person would have to be ...."

"Dead?" Ambrogio acknowledged "yes I've been using the body of Logan..."

"Logan? He's dead?" Adam asked astonished.

"For quite a while actually," Ambrogio confirmed "it came in handy. I was able to work havoc on the inside of The Watchers network. They found out and have been hunting for Logan and tonight they found him. I almost didn't get away."

"You must have known The Watchers would be able to sense Logan's presence," Adam said "why risk it?"

"To save your son," Ambrogio said simply.

"How will I get my son out of the time bubble?" Adam asked.

"I will show you," Ambrogio told him "first I must become a part of you but you must accept the consequences...."


"I want to know how and why all of this is happening.. but I'm not sure if I can handle anymore change," Adam replied.

"It won't be that bad Adam. I already exist in your mind. If you want my knowledge. My memories you'll have to accept that you and I will essentially become one person.."

"What aren't you telling me?" Adam asked 

"What I can't," Ambrogio replied "not because I don't want to but because I don't know. If we do this there are no guarantees that when The Watchers are defeated and the creator is himself again. The future is back on track that we'll ever be separated. This may be permanent."

"Is there any other way for me to get the knowledge I need to release my son from the time bubble?" Adam asked.

"No I'm sorry...."

"Then we do this," Adam accepted "without Heath there is no future...."


4 comments:

  1. I don't know what to think, is Ambrogio a good guy or a bad guy!? He seems like he s only helping Adam for his own personal gain, to see the creator again,which in itself sounds really cryptic. Didn't get a good vibe at all off of him. Hey, at least Heath getting with Don is much better than him getting with Dana lol. Good chapter as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you decide if Ambrogio is a good or bad guy. The next part will be almost entirely in Ambrogio's POV. You'll be learning a lot about his life and relationship with Alessandro and how he met the 'creator'.We'll even learn his name ;) The next part is jam packed with all kinds of goodies. Don has always been a better choice over Dana;)
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. That's certainly curious that Don looks like this mystery creator for whatever reason... I wonder what it is that Ambrogio finds so appealing about Adam, could it be that no other vampire ever has had the ability to hold his essence, or is Adam's family just special somehow. I think that Ambrogio does have a mission that is somehow tied to this family because he stuck to his word and saved Heath. As to whether he's good or bad I still haven't decided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next part will hopefully explain things better. There is a reason why Ambrogio finds Adam appealing and it is rooted in who he is and who his family is. Basically Ambrogio would not be able to connect with anyone else other than someone in Adam's family line. You may be right about the mission tied to Adam's family which you learn more when Ambrogio tells his story in the second part of this chapter. Ambrogio may or may not be good.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete