Thursday, July 9, 2015

3.6 The Promise


Leaning against the railing Don watched Heath while he painted. "How long have we been here?"

Hand stopping in mid stroke Heath replied "about 11 months" continuing painting Heath asked "why?"

Shrugging Don turned towards the city. They could see it but were isolated from it. He had so much pent up energy locked up inside him. He was tired of being locked up unable to do anything to save him or Heath. He felt Heath's arms slide around him "what's the matter babe?" Heath asked.

No matter how many times he heard Heath call him babe it always brought a smile to his lips. Shaking his head Don turned to look into Heath's eyes "nothing," he murmured.

Frowning Heath looked intently at Don's eyes seeing the troubled, haunted look in them "yes there is. Tell me?" he persisted.


Bowing his head down Don looked away from Heath's penetrating gaze. "Nothing that matters at least" he muttered. He turned away towards the cityscape. "I'm tired of being locked up in here. Separated from whatever is out there. I wish we could explore what's out there."

"I know babe," Heath said letting his arms fall to his side. The depression he felt building inside him was also growing inside Don. He could see it in his clear blue eyes "Don I'm sorry. I'm sorry I haven't been able to figure out how to get out of here."

Reaching over Don gripped Heath's hand that was resting on the railing. "That's not what I meant." 
Tearing his gaze away from the scenery he tilted Heath's face  towards  his "I don't expect you t  have the answers. You're just a kid..."

"I'm not a kid," Heath said shoving his hands into his pockets and walking away. Head down the picture of dejection.

"Heath honey don't be like that," Don called after him "I didn't mean anything by that. It's just I'm having a hard enough time wrapping my head around this. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you."


Stopping Heath allowed Don to wrap his arms round him. He mumbled into Don's shoulder "I'm nineteen."

"What?" Don asked confused.

"I'm nineteen. Today's my birthday," Heath said gazing up int Don's eyes.

"Oh hon I'm sorry I should have known....." he kissed Heath gently murmuring "I'm sorry."

"It's alright I'm the one keeping track of the days not you." Heath swiped at the ever present tears "you must think I'm a cry baby."


"No, no I don't,' Don said gently stroking Heath's face enjoying the scratchy feel of Heath's beard as he ran his fingers along his jaw line. "What can I do to make our birthday memorable?" he asked.

Breathing in Don's scent Heath said "I want....I want you," he blurted turning red.

Don looked at him confusion written on his face "you have me I don't..."his voice faded as he wondered if this was the moment he had been waiting for.

"You said when I was ready," he gave Don a smoldering look in blue eyes "I'm...I'm ready."

"Are you sure?" Don asked "We can wait. We don't have to do this. You have nothing to prove."


"I know and I'm sure." To prove it he brought his mouth down on Don's kissing him with a passion that had been growing inside him for months.

Their passion mounting Don pulled his mouth free "I guess you are ready." Smiling he took Heath by the hand leading him to the bedroom.

***


Several weeks later Heath woke up in the middle of the night. As he lay comfortably in Don's embrace he felt a wave of nausea hit him. Stumbling to his feet he slapped a hand over his mouth as he staggered to the bathroom. Falling to his knees he threw up emptying his stomach contents into the toilet. Laying his head on his arm he laid across the toilet seat to dizzy to move. It wasn't long before another wave of nausea went through him. Heath curled up on the bathroom floor next to the toilet moaning softly.

Don stretched out in the bed reaching for Heath. Finding only empty space Don sat up looking around the silent semi dark room. Throwing the covers back he walked into the bathroom stumbling over Heath as he entered. "Heath? Why are you on the floor?"

Lifting his eyelids required more effort then he cared to admit Heath moaned "Don?" 
Kneeling beside him Don put his hand on Heath's forehead noting it felt clammy but not feverish. 

"What's wrong hon?"

"I don't know," Heath panted closing his eyes as a felt another wave of nausea "I'm going to be sick," he said struggling to his knees. With Don's assistance he was able to make it to the toilet instead of throwing up on the floor. He had thrown up so much that it was mostly dry heaves that left him feeling weak and wretched.


"How long have you been like this?" Don wanted to know as he picked Heath up and carried him to the bed.

Shivering under the covers "don't don't know. Woke up like this. Haven't left the bathroom since."

Sitting on the edge of the bed Don ran his fingers through Heath's hair enjoying the feeling of the soft silky strands flowing through his fingers. "Honey why didn't you tell me you were sick?"

"Didn't want to disturb you," Heath squeezed his eyes shut clamping his mouth shut tight.

"Are you feeling sick?" Don asked watching Heath intently as he nodded his head. Lifting him up Don carried him to the bathroom where he immediately threw up again. Don brought him back to the bed. "Are you sick to your stomach or are you dizzy too?"


"Dizzy," Heath said lying still on the bed afraid to move. Eyes clenched shut "everything keeps spinning round and round. It's better if my eyes are closed."

"But you're still dizzy with your eyes shut?"

Heath began to nod then thought better of it "yes" he moaned. "What's wrong with me?"

"I don't know," he squeezed Heath's hand before standing up "I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?" Heath cried plaintively from the bed.


Walking back the bed Don sat on the edge "it's alright sweetie I'll be right back. I'm going to get you a bowl or something to throw up in so that I don't have to carry you to the bathroom every time your sick." Don explained getting. As we walked to the door there was no complaint as he left.

***


Shaking his head Don realized their roles had switched. He was now in the position of caretaker for the ill. It was a scary overwhelming feeling of responsibility that left him feeling helpless unable to do anything to ease Heath's suffering. Coming back into the room he found Heath where he had left him. Lying flat on the bed fists clenched tight into the folds of the sheets. "Feeling sick? Don asked handing the bucket over to him.

Grabbing it Heath heaved producing very little. When he finished he leaned back wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. Shaking his head as Don tried to get him to drink some water. "I'll just throw up."

"Drink it," Don commanded "you'll get dehydrated if you don't." He held the water up to Heath's lips "drink it slow. One swallow at a time," he instructed.

Relenting Heath took a swallow then another. No sooner had he swallowed the second one he was reaching for the bucket. Closing his eyes he mumbled "I told you I'd throw it up."

It was a long day as Heath continue to throw up everything Don managed to get him to eat or drink. Don didn't dare leave for any length of time for fear Heath might need him. When he lay beside him that night Heath complained that his movements made him dizzy. Sighing Don grabbed his pillow and a blanket and laid on the floor.


After three days where Heath made very little improvement Don was beginning to wonder if something wasn't seriously wrong with him. Heath couldn't keep anything down and the rare moments Heath was alert and aware he complained of constant nausea and dizziness. Coming into the kitchen Don found a note in a familiar handwriting. The same handwriting as the note that warned them they were being watched.

Don almost wished their watchers would come and tell him what was wrong with Heath. At the same time the thought scared him. Would they separate them? Would they take Heath and leave him all alone here? Reading the note Don smiled. It was a list of what looked like home remedies for easing nausea. Deciding he had nothing to lose in trying them he threw some bread into a toaster. When the toast was done he crumbled it up and added the toast to a bowl of warm milk. Going up stairs he found Heath staring at him "are you feeling better?" he asked hopefully.

"No," he mouthed as he retched into the bucket. Lying back he eyed Don as he set the bowl down 
"what's that?"

"Warm milk and toast," Don told him grinning as Heath gave  him a disgusted look.

"I'm not eating that," Heath protested.


"I'm told it's good for nausea," Don said spooning up a small portion and holding it out to Heath. "I received a note from our little helper," he explained "let's see if it works shall we? If not there's other things listed we could try."

Wrinkling his nose in disgust Heath allowed Don to spoon it into his mouth. The texture was disgusting but he swallowed in despite his gag reflex. To their combined astonishment Heath kept it down and after five minutes had passed without him throwing up they tried another spoonful. They kept this up until Heath fell asleep. Gathering the remnants Don went to wash the dishes. 

As he washed up Don reflected on the other part of the note that he hadn't mentioned to Heath. It was to preposterous but in an odd sort of way made sense. If it were true how would they manage without medical advice? Taking the note out of his pocket Don re-read it. Towards the bottom it read "your boyfriend is pregnant and experiencing severe morning sickness." Morning sickness really? More like all day sickness Don thought. They weren't ready for a baby. It was just impossible wasn't? Making up his mind Don folded the note and stuck it in his pocket. He'd mention it to Heath when he was feeling better. They'd have a good laugh. Their helper if you could call him that must have their genders mixed up. Men simply couldn't have babies.

***


A couple of days passed with gradual improvements in the nausea department. Waking early one morning Don squinted up into the beaming face of Heath looking down at him. "Morning sunshine," he mumbled sitting up "are you feeling better?" he asked.

Nodding in response Heath jumped out of bed. Grabbing the wall as he turned a sickly white. Seeing him Don rushed to his side "what's wrong?"

"Dizzy," he muttered clamping his mouth shut as a wave of nausea overtook him. Heath felt Don guide him to the bed forcing him to sit. "I'm sorry..." he swallowed convulsively "I thought I was better."

Don watched over him until he was sure Heath was alright and he regained his normal complexion instead of the chalky pale one he had. "Heath there's something else the note said..."

Turning his head to face him Heath asked "what?"


"It's ridiculous really," Don chuckled "these people must be confused as to what gender we are because there's no way...."

Frowning Heath asked "no way for what? Babe just tell me what the note said."

Shaking his head looking sheepish Don said "the note said you were pregnant. Isn't that a laugh?" Don watched as Heath fell silent and worry etched it's way onto his face and eyes "it's ridiculous isn't?" he asked his voice rising. 

"Oh no, no, no," Heath repeated as if he said it enough it would be true. Turning on his side Heath buried his face in his pillow. His shoulders shaking in rhythm to his sobs.

Touching his shoulder Don asked "Heath what's wrong? It isn't possible is it? You can't be pregnant..." As Heath continued to sob Don felt panic welling up inside him "Heath honey tell me your not pregnant."


Sniffling Heath reached for Don's hand as he sat beside him "I wish I could," Heath mumbled "but I can't. I should have known. I....I....forgot," his voice dissolved into tears.

"You forgot what?" Don asked running his fingers through Heath's hair seeking to soothe, to encourage, to calm. "Whatever it is you can trust me."

"I know," Heath turned tear reddened eyes towards Don "I'm a halfling. I was born with the ability to have babies with either gender. We become whatever is necessary to accommodate who ever we're with. We didn't know any of this until Chase told us. I'm sorry....with being here I forgot."

"So you are pregnant," Don stated pulling his hands away from Heath. Standing abruptly he walked outside too stunned to see how it effected Heath.

"Don I'm sorry. I didn't think...." Heath covered his face with his hands and began to sob, deep wracking sobs that echoed through the room.


Outside Don stared out across the cityscape mindless of the turmoil he left Heath in. Staring blankly ahead, his mind screaming a single work pregnant. How could this be happening? Heath should have told him. Should have warned him. They couldn't have a child now. Not in this place. Falling his his knees he cried out in anguish. It was so unfair. If it were any place else but here he'd be happy to find out he was going to be a dad. How could  he be happy now? In this place? Under these circumstances?

Lifting his head from his knees Don noted the sun was going down. He must have cried for several hours without comprehending the passage of time. Wiping his eyes with the backs of his hands he took several deep breaths. Looking up into the darkening skies he wondered what they were going to do. They....we....oh god Heath. Don's mind screamed at him. He forgot all about Heath. He vaguely recalled Heath sobbing as he walked out the door. He left him alone all day to think god knows what. Scrambling to his feet Don entered the darkened room. "Heath honey I'm sorry," Don said softly sitting beside him on the bed. Reaching out he touched Heath's hair only to have Heath jerk from his touch. "Heath I'm sorry..."

Turning to face away from Don on the bed Heath wiped tears from his eyes. The moment Don walked out the door Heath knew Don didn't love him. He just walked out when he needed him the most. "Go away," he muttered into the dark.

"Honey I know I messed up and I'm sorry," Don said placing a hand on Heath's shoulder only to have it fall to his side as Heath shrugged his hand off.

"You don't love me," Heath tearfully accused " you just walked out. Left me when I ... when I...."


Laying down beside him Don put his arms firmly around him "I know and I'm sorry. I was confused, hurt, mad...."

"Mad? Why?" Heath asked "I didn't do this on purpose..."

Squeezing him tight Don said "I know hon and I'm sorry. I over reacted. I didn't think it was a concern we had to worry about. If I had known we could have done things differently. Please forgive me. I acted horribly I know. Please give me another chance."

"Do you really want one?" Heath's voice came out small almost fearful.

"Of course I do," he leaned down and kissed Heath's neck, his chin finishing at his mouth.


Snuggling into his arms Heath sighed "I'm scared."

"So am I," Don reciprocated "having a baby was going to be tough enough under normal circumstances but now..."

"What are we going to do?" Heath cried "Uncle Kyle had to be hospitalized for a c-section. What if we're still here when the baby comes? How is it going to come out? We don't have any medical knowledge. One or both of us aren't going to make it."

Don held Heath tight as he sobbed on his chest. He felt his heart constrict at the thought of losing Heath. He hadn't thought of the complications. It felt as if Heath had been given a death sentence and he helped do it. They fell asleep too exhausted from their emotional trauma to be aware of the two figures that entered into the room.

***


"The plan is proceeding as scheduled " Ton'ga stated in a self-satisfied voice.

"It would seem so," Rendar rubbed his chin deep in thought "the halfling is pregnant."

"Isn't that a good thing?" Ton'ga asked staring at her partner.

"It is but the pregnancy is proving difficult. We may lose the halfling in the process."

Shrugging Ton'ga stared down a the two sleeping boys "does it matter? We only need one with their combined DNA."


"True but we wouldn't get another chance at getting the right gene naturally," Rendar stated.

"It's a risk," Ton'ga stated "but we were never going to let these creatures go. At least not alive, were we?"

"No we weren't" Rendar looked down at the boys "but we can't let the halfling die before the baby arrives."

Smiling with anticipation "I'll secure them so we can scan the halfling," Ton'ga said.

Opening his eyes as he felt hands roughly grabbing him Don tried to struggle, to break free. "This one is a fighter," Rendar commented while his mate struggled to secure him.


"It would have been better for him if he had remained weak" Ton'ga retorted blasting him with her stunner. Securing his limp body she moved to Heath who had barely moved "the halfling appears to be ill, " she noted "will we be able to save it?"

"We shall see" Rendar stated operating his scanner. Making adjustments he instructed "remove the halflings clothing so I can repair it."

Tears running down his cheeks Heath could do nothing to prevent the humiliation he felt as the female stripped him of his clothes. He could do nothing as the male operated on him. He could only wonder if this was how his dad felt like when he had been abducted by aliens, experimented on.... That was how Irissa came to be. Tears trickled down his nose as he wondered if he would be around when his child came into the world. Would he die as his baby was born? Who were these creatures and why were they so interested in his child? Had they been here before? Was one of them their mysterious benefactor? Turning he looked over at Don "what have you done to him?" he struggled to form the words noting the thin trickle of blood that ran from Don's nose.

"Calm down halfling," the male ordered "he is fine and of no further use to us." Heath struggled to free himself until the male threatened "either calm down or I will have Ton'ga neutralize him so that he ceases to be a source of agitation."

Fixing his eyes on the male he quieted his struggles and simply lay still. "What are you doing to me?" he asked after several minutes of silence had passed between them.


"Ensuring the health of the fetus," nodding Rendar closed his operation and turned to Ton'ga "release the other. We are finished here."

***


Heath lay limply where they left him. Growing cold but lacking the strength to either find his clothes or put the on. "What happened?" Don asked groaning beside him.

"I think we had a visit from our jailers," Heath muttered.

Sitting up Don looked over at Heath "what did they do to you?" he asked taking Heath into his arms.

"I don't know. They just took my clothes and operated on me....I don't know what they did." He dissolved into tears as Don pulled in close.

"You're freezing," he muttered.


"Don we've got to figure out how to get out of here," Heath said leaning his head on Don's shoulder "they know about the baby. That's what they wanted all along. They only reason we're here. They want our baby. Don promise me you won't let them take our baby."

"I promise I'll do whatever I can," Don told him feeling as if the death sentence had encompassed him too.. When the baby arrived it would be the end for both of them. They had to find a way out before then.



4 comments:

  1. I never actually thought about the implications of a male pregnancy. Guess it makes sense anatomically why it isn't possible xD I'm looking for a new way for males to "scientifically" have children in my story without involving the guardians LOL Uhm, anyway. Good chapter. Don is definitely a bit more confident when he's around Heath. But a pregnancy, Heath is 19...oh goodness. I just wonder how he's going to handle everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started to really think about it since I've basically trapped them where they had no access to medical help. Since neither one has any medical background getting pregnant could be a death sentence. I just finished writing the next chapter so we'll find out soon what happens.
      Hmm I have ideas of how that could happen without guardian involvement LOL and it doesn't have anything to do with aliens or IF's. There are so many possibilities...
      Don is a bit more confident since he feels Heath needs him to be. Heath brings out the protector in Don. Heath being so young is going to cause him to feel overwhelmed and there's going to be other things that are going to happen to complicate their lives even more. I'm excited to get the next chapter out.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Ugh...those Watchers. Using people as incubators, just so they can have a baby with particular DNA. How rude. Well, in this chapter, Don and Heath managed to see them, so I still think that they only allow themselves to be seen when they want to be seen. They're going to release Don? That surprised me, unless release means kill. T_T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Watchers don't use people in general as incubators. They need their combined DNA to accomplish their goal. If they could have found the creator they wouldn't need that particular DNA combo. It'll become clearer as the story progresses. The had no choice but to be seen this time since they were there because they wanted to make sure Heath survived the pregnancy. Without the procedure they did on him he probably would have died as it is he probably will during birth at least without medical care. At that point the Watchers don't care, they already have want they want. Being released is not a good thing. Without Heath they'll be no need for Don. So yeah neither one will be getting out alive.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete