Wednesday, March 16, 2016

3.25 In The Nick of Time


"That's it," Henry shouted pointing at some parked vehicles on the side of the road "They are all registered under the name of Theodore Kyle Lawrence the 3rd," he said looking up from his phone.

Heath nodded driving past them. Now that they knew where they planned to come out of the mountains he needed to find a spot to park. No doubt Mr Lawrence paid some cop off to look the other way to leave his vehicles sitting idle along the road without worry of getting towed.

"There's a little park about  a mile down the road where we could park and hike back," Henry suggested.

"Do you think we should hike towards them?" Heath asked "what would we do when we meet up to them?"

"All we have to do is slow them down enough for Don and Percy to catch up," Henry mused "we they're somewhere behind them. Once Percy gets there he can zap them with some magic."


"That sounds doable except the part about zapping them with magic. There's some sort of magical block," Heath told him "we'll have to play it by ear I guess. Hopefully by the time we find them we'll have figured out what the block is or have walked out of it."

"It was kind of a lame idea anyway," Henry said looking out the window sighing.

"Not really just not practical under the circumstances. We really don't have a lot of options," Heath tried to encourage the boy. He sensed there was something bothering the boy other than finding his brother.

Locking the car they pulled out their backpacks from the trunk and began the hike back. It was a cool morning but that would help them be able to hike longer and faster without needing to rest.

They stopped once they reached the cars trying to decide which route to take. Pointing Henry said "this one would be the easiest."


"Which means it would be the least likely path they would take," Heath said "Senior would want something difficult...."

Henry gave him a curious look "what aren't you telling me? Can you connect to people like Kimberly can?"

Heath kicked at a rock with his toe "a little. With Kimberly's help I was able to broaden my range. I picked up on Lawrence's thoughts. He's hoping that Elliot will give out along the way..."

"That'll destroy Kyle," Henry clenched his fists "we can't let that happen." Pointing towards another trail that was obviously not used as often. "They probably took this trail."

"I think you're right," Heath stopped for a moment and take out one of their dragons. "He'll alert us if they come out some place else."

***


"Ellie you have to stand up," Kyle shook his husband's shoulder hoping to illicit some response. He received a weak low moan as his eyes fluttered open. "Please El don't quit on me."

Elliot blinked several times trying to bring Kyle's face into focus. "Cccold" he stuttered.

With a sinking feeling Kyle wiped the sweat from Elliot's forehead noting how warm he felt. "You have a fever," he murmured gently "infection from your untreated arm probably."
Elliott shivered "I'm sorry."

"Shhh" Kyle soothed "you've done nothing to be sorry for."

"I'm so weak," Elliot complained "I slow you down. I..."

Kyle brought his mouth down to his to keep him from speaking "don't. I won't let you give up. You're not weak. You're one of the bravest people I know."


"I love you too," Elliot said as he tried to sit up.

"Have this" Kyle handed him his canteen.

Shaking his head Elliot refused the offer "you need that more than I do."

"Drink," Kyle ordered "I need you more than water."

"You're the air that I breathe" Elliot said as he swallowed the water Kyle offered him.

Chuckling "you're delirious" Kyle told him helping him to his feet.

"No doubt," Elliot said leaving heavily onto Kyle.


"He's slowing us down," Senior grumbled walking over to them.

"He's not," Kyle grabbed at Elliot's shoulder keeping him upright.

Scowling his father said "I want to see him stand on his own. If he can he gains himself more time. If not...." He looked over towards the other man who was watching them with an anticipatory smile upon his face.

Elliot wobbled and almost fell over when Kyle was no longer supporting him. He looked steadily into Kyle's eyes drawing strength from him. He didn't want to let him down. If there had been even a gentle breeze it would have knocked him over. As it was he stood on his own much to his father-in-laws chagrin.

Turning to Kyle he said "you coddle him too much. You'd be much better off without the weakling."

"He's not weak," Kyle declared "he stood on his own. You haven't won."

"Yet," he said walking away towards the other man.

***


The trail was even harder to track today then it was the day before. If they weren't paying enough attention it was easy to miss it. They spent twenty minutes back tracking because they missed the faint footprints in the glare of the sun. "Have you figured out what's blocking your magic?" Don asked.

Frowning Percy shook his head "I wish I knew" he shook his head as if trying to clear his vision "I..."

Don looked up in surprise when he didn't continue "Percy" he shouted as the man toppled over. Running to his side Don rolled him over onto his back. Checking for a pulse "good he's breathing," he muttered to himself. He pulled out a bottle of water from his meager supplies and splashed some of it on Percy's face.

Moaning Percy opened his eyes "wwwhat happened?"

"You fainted," Don told him "are you sick or something?"

"Weak," Percy said sitting up "the stronger the block becomes the weaker I become." He stopped talking gulping in air "it's like it's draining my body of it's magic."


"Do you know what it is?" Don asked him concern not liking his pale face and shaky hands.

"I'm not sure but I think this is one of the rare places that magic can't exist. I've read of places like this. I just never knew I was so close to one before. It might explain why the Dragons never come here."

"So it's not something man made?"

"I wouldn't think so," Percy shook his head "I could be wrong but I don't think I am. I someone was casting some sort of spell it would diminish over time not grow stronger. The more magic a person uses the weaker they become. Eventually they would have to recharge, rest."

"So you have what? A magical battery?" Don quipped.

"Something like that," Percy smiled "come on help me up. We're wasting time."


"Maybe you should stay here or go back" Don suggested.

Shaking his head Percy persisted "I'm ok. Just weak. Sooner or later we'll walk out of this magical dead zone."

"What if it zaps you of all your powers?" Don asked "won't that kill you?"

"I hope not," Percy frowned "I don't really know what happens to a mage when they use all of their magical energy."

"Then you should go back," Don insisted.

"I can't," Percy repeated "I don't know which way is out. I've been to focused on following the foot prints to keep track of where I'm at. I'm sorry. If I go back I'll just get lost. I'll be better off then I would be going forward."

***


"Where are you going?" Gwen asked coming up to the girl as she prepared to ride off on her bike.

Stopping to consider the questions Kimberly explained "I can't feel any of them. It's like they dropped off a cliff or something."

"Where are you going?" Gwen asked knowing the girl was up to something.

Looking down at her feet "I'm going to that camp ground where the bad guy took you. If I get close enough maybe I can connect with them again."

"You can't go by yourself," Gwen told her "I'm coming with you."

"No you're not," Kimberly declared "it's too dangerous."

"Like it's not too dangerous for you," Shaking her head "I'm coming with you. I'll be your look out when your resting. Otherwise I'm telling Grandma."


"You can't do that," Kimberly objected.

"Just watch me," Gwen declared walking towards the house.

"Alright you can come," Kimberly called to her "but you have to do as I say."

"No," Gwen shook her head "I'm older than you. So you do as I say."

"You don't know how to connect to them" Kimberly pointed out "you don't even know how to get back to that campground."

Gwen looked at her hands refusing to acknowledge Kimberly's words "fine we'll do it your way."

Smiling Kimberly hopped on her bike, "I knew you'd see my way."

***


They had been hiking for three hours when Heath stopped abruptly in front of Henry. "Did you hear that?"

The blank expression in Henry's eyes was all the answer Heath needed to know that whatever he was hearing was inside his own head. Concentrating he tried to pick up the faint voice. "Kimberly is that you?"

"Yes daddy."

"How?" Heath asked even though he knew he wasn't going to like the answer.

"Gwen and I came to the campground the bad man took Gwen to," she explained.


"I want you to go home now," Heath shouted at her using a tone he'd never used on her before.

"I wanted to help," she said her voice sounded on the verge of tears.

"Baby I'm sorry for yelling but I want you where it's safe," Heath told her.

"But Uncle Elliot needs your help daddy," she yelled "the bad man is going to kill him."

"Can you tell where he is and if I'm close?" Heath asked her deciding Elliot's life was more important then getting angry with his daughter.


"Not far. If you hurry you can save him" she said her voice full of urgency.

"Stay where you are," Heath shouted at her "stay hidden and do not come out until I tell you to."

"I promise daddy," she said then added "please hurry."

Heath started to run as soon as he disconnected from her. Caught off guard Henry fell behind unable to keep up. He couldn't worry about that right now not if he wanted make it in time to Elliot's life. He could hear someone screaming. It sounded like Kyle.

"Please dad don't" Kyle pleaded his voice loud and strident "I'll do anything just don't hurt him."


Laughing Mr Lawrence nodded to his companion "just do it." Turning to Kyle "as long as he's alive you'll still have hope that he'll come for you. With him gone you'll be shattered, without hope. Mine to fill your soul with hate."

"Don't do this," Kyle cried "please I'll do anything."

"I said do it," Mr Lawrence commended. The man lifted Elliot from Kyle's arms where he had fallen unable to get back up. "I've been waiting to do this for days" he taunted positioning his hands to snap his neck.

Heath heard and saw all of this as he raced towards them. He tackled the man to the ground hoping Kyle would get Elliot out of harms way. Heath swung at the man but knew his inferior skills would get him killed if he gave the man a chance to use his skills against him.

He was losing the battle when the man was able to roll him over on to his back and all he could was black his punches. The man hit like a sledge hammer. Vaguely Heath heard voices as they combined with the buzzing in his ears. He felt the mans grip around his throat cutting off is oxygen. The world grew dark. He heard Kimberly's terrified voice as she screamed for him in his mind before he succumbed to the darkness.

***


Blinking he looked up into a pair of scared light blue eyes mere inches from his face. "Heath" a voice cried "don't leave me."

"Where would I go?" he mumbled unsure his mouth was working or if any sound was coming out.

"I thought I lost you," Don cried almost smothering him as he pulled his face into his chest.

"Will you marry me?" Heath mumbled against Don's shoulder.

"What?" he asked pulling his head from his chest "what did you say?" he asked again as if he hadn't heard the first time.

"Will you marry me?" he repeated through swollen lips.

Tears streamed from his eyes. Don peppered Heath's face with kisses "is that a yes?" Heath asked.


Nodding Don hovered above his lips. "Yes yes I'll marry you," he said before he crashed his lips onto Heath's. Don heard Kimberly's excited screams inside his head. Smiling he looked down at Heath "we need to explain to our little girl what privacy means."

"Don't be too harsh on her," Heath said leaning into him "she's been worried, scared and excited in a short span of time. She's young and will learn."

"I know," Don hugged him tight holding a ring out "I've been carrying this around with me for months waiting for just the right moment." He held the ring out to Heath "I'm sorry I made you wait. That I made you feel that I was pulling away. I love you. I never wanted you to feel trapped or pressured. Mostly I didn't want to become my sister."

Heath gave him a lopsided grin "you are nothing like your sister. You were nothing but patient with me." He allowed Don to slip the ring on his finger "you know I should be the one giving you the ring. I did propose you know." He fumbled in his pocket hoping it hadn't fallen out when he was fighting for his life. Smiling he presented Don with the ring he had slipped in  his pocket before leaving that morning.

Staring at the ring Don let Heath slip it on his finger "it's almost like we're married."

"Uh guys I hate to break this love fest up but we really need to get Elliot to the hospital," Percy said coming up beside them.

***


Heath nodded "I just need to make a phone call." He fumbled to get his phone out only to find it shattered "Don I need your phone." His hand were beginning to shake.

"Elliot's not the only one who needs a hospital," Don muttered handing over his phone.

"Grandma I need a favor...." he listened for a moment "good I was worried about them being alone." he handed the phone back to Don "the girls rode their bikes to the campground but Grandma followed them and has been with them all afternoon. They're on their way home now."

Sometime later as they came out of the mountains near the road where the cars were parked Heath said "there's a vehicle missing."


Henry nodded "I guess we know what happened to Senior now when he ran off."

"Pity my dad's such a coward," Kyle mumbled.

"At least we got the mole," Don told him.

"Until he gets another one," Kyle sounded defeated while he hold Elliot's unconscious form on the ground.

Heath turned to Henry "you remember where we left the car?" The boy nodded "good go get it and pick us up."

***


Several hours later Heath was allowed to join the to others in the waiting room. "How's Elliot?" he asked as limped up to the subdued group.

"The doctors are trying to save his arm" Don told him "it was a severe break that went untreated for several days. There main concern is the infection and fever." Moving to him Don wrapped his arms around him "how are you?"

"I'm ok," Heath replied not mentioning the two black eyes, the stitches, the bruised and swollen 
larynx that made talking difficult or the severe concussion...

Don shook his head "don't lie the doctors told me they want you to stay the night for observation..."


"But.."

"You are going to stay if not for you then for me," Don told him kissing him briefly "I don't want anything happening to my fiance."

"Alright you win," Heath grumbled and a nurse appeared at his side with a wheelchair to take him to his room. "You had this planned, didn't you?"

"Let's just say I know you better than yourself sometimes," Don said following him.


4 comments:

  1. Lawrence Sr. is indeed a coward. But he knew he stood no chance of success now. I'm glad they found them. Once again Kimberly saved the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Senior is a coward of the worst kind. He ran as soon as he realized he couldn't succeed. Everyone had a share in saving the day. Kimberly's sole intent was the desire to know what was happening with her parents. She hasn't learned yet to filter people out so once she was able to connect with her dads she could connected to Elliot too. But her urgent plea to Heath was instrumental in getting him to move quicker and arrive in time instead of too late. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. What a way to propose lol Glad they worked it out <3 Kim isn't going to want to be in their mind for long!!! What's bugging Henry though??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For now. Kind of cryptic but you'll see what I mean once you catch up in the story. No she's not. Ah poor Henry we may never know. I think I was going for something along the lines he wanted to be treated like an adult and not the baby of a very large family.

      Delete