Monday, November 3, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 17 - Aliens Among Us Part 3

 


The aliens dropped Adam in the front yard, where he laid there, trying to gather the strength he need to drag himself to the door. His legs were still tingling and painful, he still wasn't able to walk or support his weight on them. Crying in anguish, Adam pulled himself up onto his hands and began the arduous journey to the door.


Before he had moved more than a couple of feet, his Dad was scooping him up into his arms and carrying him into the house. His dad kept muttering to himself "I didn't think I'd ever see you again." Adam reached up and wiped the tears from his face as Adam's chest tightened at the sight of seeing his father again saying softly "I'm sorry."


Stunned Peter said "You don't have anything to be sorry for." As Peter laid Adam onto his bed, he said "I doubt we'll have much time before people arrive to interview you I need you to tell me everything." Adam told him everything he could remember and what William told him, ending with the information the alien man had downloaded into his brain.

"Dad it'll self destruct if anyone but you receives it," Adam said concerned about the people who would want to get the information he had without a thought or care for his well being.

Nodding Peter suggested "best we do it now before they get here."

"It'll be painful, at least it was for me. But then it wasn't meant for me but for you."

"I don't understand how or why the alien would want me to have this information."

"I think he's working against his leaders and trying to help us. Maybe it'll be explained somewhere in the data he gave us." Adam hesitated pressing the device to his Dad's temple.


Sensing his hesitation Peter told him "just do it son it'll be alright." Pain shot through is head nearly knocking him out but he hung in there, refusing to pass out. When it was done he collapsed, leaning his head in his hands as he absorbed the data flow. He groaned when Jean walked in announcing "Peter there's a bunch of people here from the gov ... Oh my god, Adam you're home." she cried as she ran over to give him a hug. "I guess you're the reason the fed's are here."


"I'd assume so," Peter said pulling himself together.

"What's wrong?" Jean asked noticing the grimace of pain Peter was unable to hide.

"Nothing, just a migraine," Peter assured her. Getting up he went out to greet his unannounced visitors. "What can I do for you gentlemen?"


"We've come for the boy." a short belligerent man stated.

Staring down at him Peter fought to maintain calm "ah and you didn't trust that I would inform the authorities that my son was back."

"Sorry sir," a younger man spoke up clearly trying to diffuse the situation.

The shorter man interrupted "we've come to take your son," he waved towards the guards to search the house.


"This is hardly necessary," Peter said as he inserted himself between the guards and his son's bedroom door. "My son is an invalid and can't walk. He's no threat to you and in no position to run." He stated before opening the door and letting them in.


The hostility visibly melted from everyone but the short, heavy set man. The guards put their guns away when they found Adam was everything Peter said he was.

"As you can se my son is exhausted from his ordeal and needs rest."

"We don't have time for this," the short man said. Turning to the guards commanding "take him into custody."

Angered by his callus remark, Peter reached out and grabbed the man's arm "Who exactly are you and what gives you the right to take my son?"


"I'm the man in charge of ascertaining his involvement with the aliens," the man said shaking Peter's hand off him. "I can have you arrested for interfering."

"I'd like to see you try, you arrogant pompous ass," Peter said through gritted teeth, releasing the man. He turned his attention to the other man "and who are you?"

"I'm Bruce Scott sir, Mr. Alexander's assistant."

"Ah and what are your orders?"

"We are to take your son to the Science facility for questioning and observation."

"That sounds reasonable. I would suggest that you bring all returned abductees to the facility so that all can be observed at the same time," Peter suggested.

"We were planning on it sir as soon as we received approval to do so from the lead scientist."

"You have it," Peter stated enjoying the faint look of shock from the young man before he grabbed his phone made the calls necessary.

"Who do you think you are giving my people orders?" Mr. Alexander protested.

"I am the lead scientist in charge of alien abductions at the science facility, everything comes through me. Surely you researched who you would be dealing with and who you were coming to collect before you barged into my home?"

"We'll be bringing in our own scientists," Mr. Alexander asserted.

"Yes I'm sure you will, all of which I've worked with before on other cases," Peter stated enjoying this moment of triumph "You see Mr. Alexander I'm the authority on this and I have a higher security clearance than you and have access to more information on this situation than anyone else."

"I don't care what security level you are or your position at the science lab. I want that person in custody now." Mr. Alexander shouted asserting his authority.

Unfazed by the outburst, Peter calmly said "I will bring my son in as soon as he has rested and seen his son."

"You are not in charge," he yelled waving his finger in front of Peter's face.


Peter was about to confront the irritating little man when his phone started ringing. Distracted for the moment he answered the call "Hello?" he listened for a moment "bring Mr. Bennett to the facility as soon as he's had a chance to rest and reassure his family that he's ok." Listening some more he said "no problem, I look forward to working with them." He looked directly at the asshole standing in front of him and asked "Who's in charge?" Peter listened for a moment before handing his phone to Mr. Alexander.


He took the phone with an anticipatory grin "Sir?" his grin fell from his face as he listened saying "yes sir I understand sir" he grumbled as he finished the call, throwing the phone at Peter before walking out the room.

Turning triumphantly to the armed guards "Gentlemen I'm the scientist in charge. I will bring my son to the facility in a few hours." The guards nodded and silently left.


Adam was growing weary of the poking, prodding and being everyone's pin cushion. He tried to be patient, telling himself it was important to understand what the aliens had done to them. But his patience was wearing thin, he just wanted to go home. He wanted to hug his son, pick up the pieces of his life and move on. He smiled over at William, he was sure he was feeling the same way.


Adam was a little worried about William, the tests confirmed he was pregnant but he refused to talk about it. He claimed he had no knowledge of how or when it happened. Adam remembered the last night on board the ship, he was positive he was right but he wasn't going to contradict what the scientists believed. Another pregnancy performed in the lab, that's how it was written up, that was how Adam was going to leave it. He caught glimpses of what might have happened and his imagination filled in the rest. He would be there for his friend when and if he ever felt like talking. He looked up as his Dad entered the room.


"I have good news," Peter announced walking over to them. "We're done with all the tests and the observation period is over." Turning to William he said "I booked a flight for tomorrow evening. I imagine your anxious to be home."

"Thank you," William said "how much do I owe you?"

"Don't worry about it," Peter waved his offer off. "I'd like you to come to the house, unless you prefer to stay here another night."

"No I'd sleep outside before staying here another night."


"Thought you might feel that way," Peter smiled warmly at him. He turned to Adam "Son it's good to have you back and I have more good news. The serum the aliens gave you healed the brain damage you had. Over time you should be good as new." Peter hugged Adam close glad this ordeal was over. Part of his mind already wondering when the aliens would be back. The alien modifications worried him, he knew the next step. He hoped to reverse what the aliens had done maybe in the process learn how they did it. There were so many possibilities a procedure like that could open up. If only the aliens had been willing to work with them instead of just taking what they wanted and instilling fear and distrust. Adam wondered if the information was already in his head, if he only had the time to sift through all it..



That night after everyone settled down and gone to bed Adam, William and Peter sat in the living room talking. Adam was nodding off in one of the chairs, finally feeling safe and secure knowing he was home surrounded by family. Peter glanced over at him and smiled. "I'd do anything to protect my son from danger."


William nodded agreement "I want this to end before my son Robert has to go through this." He looked over at Adam who was now asleep, then back to Peter "You have quite the boy there. I got to know him well on the ship. He kept me going when I wanted to give up, he's really remarkable. He kept telling me to observe everything because you'd know how to fix it."

Chuckling a little Peter said "My son still sees me as superman who can do anything."

"He has faith in you and your abilities. From what I've seen so far, he's right."

"I hope so, I'd hate to disappoint," sighing loudly "for whatever reason the alien who entrusted this data download to me must feel the same way. I wish I knew why or what I'm looking for in all of this."

"Maybe it's not so much the data but where you met the alien," William suggested. "Have you ever met an alien?"


"Not that I remember ...." a thought popped into his head. "I talked to an alien once. You'll probably think I'm crazy but I had gone into the future and met one there."

"Oasis Landing?" William asked

"Yes, you've been there?"

"Once. I suffered from time sickness and never went back," he laughed at the memory.

"I've heard that could be pretty bad. Never experienced it myself." Peter stopped trying to recall the conversation he had with the alien. "At the time I thought the alien was upset about me asking them questions about the ship that had crashed. I even explored it, but I didn't find anything. I wonder if I missed something.".

"Maybe with the alien data you'll be able to figure it out." William said trying to stifle a yawn.

"I hope you're right. I have no choice but to keep trying.  When I figure it out I'll let you know."

 
 

6 comments:

  1. I love this cross over thing. William and Peter seem like they'd be good friends and I don't really want to see William leave the story. What can we do, he has to return to his family in Barnacle Bay. I hd no idea the alien encounter in the future would come back into play, in fact I almost forgot about it! Wonder what's up, though I do have my suspicions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William and Peter do become good friends and they both will do anything for their kids. William won't leave the story completely and will show up again.

      I was drawing on things that had already happened in Peter's story and expanded upon it and it seemed to make sense (I hope it did). Even Peter forgot all about it because he found nothing of interest on the ship or so he thought. But he made it possible for the alien man to begin his work again.

      Delete
  2. Anything else mysteriously happening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something mysterious happening. Poor guy can't get a break!
      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  3. It's cool that William's been showing up in the past two chapters. I also love that Peter is the one who might be able to help. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William and Peter become good friends. Peter just has to study the alien download he was given then they'll be able to proceed to the next phase of wiping out the alien menace.

      Delete