Thursday, November 20, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 21 - A Difficult Choice


Peter reviewed the test results, rubbing his eyes he re-read them. It couldn't be denied, no amount of re-reading the results was going to change them. His son and his friend were both pregnant with alien offspring. Wearily getting to his feet, Peter moved towards the door of his office, walking towards the boys room. Upon entering both boys looked up at him with hopeful eyes that vanished as Peter silently shook his head.



"We're pregnant?" Robert asked sitting down heavily on the edge of the bed as if the burden was to great to bear.

"I'm sorry," Peter was about to continue when someone entered the room. Turning around Peter said "William I'm so glad you're here," Peter greeted shaking his hand. "I was about to tell the boys their options."




"Options?" Adam echoed wondering what his father was talking about.

"Yes you do have options but I want you to think seriously about your decision before making it." Peter sighed looking at each of the young men sitting in front of him before speaking. "I want both of you to know it may be possible to terminate the pregnancies. Plus we may be able to remove the alien modifications."


"Wait a minute that was tried before and it wasn't possible," Robert interrupted him. He remembered all to well the pain and the near death experience he went through from the scientists that tried it.

"I know what you're thinking and you're right to be skeptical, it's never been tried before and there may be risks. I've learned a lot from the alien information I was given and I'm sure we can remove it. My concern is whether we should." Looking at William before continuing "both of you have alien tracking devices embedded in you. I think they are there so the aliens can locate you wherever you are when they want to take you and it enables them to keep track of how their experiments are progressing."

"What you're saying is the aliens will know if the modifications have been removed and the pregnancies were terminated," William said.

"Yes, it would definitely alert the aliens that we are onto them and give them a chance to change their methods before we've had a chance to release the cure. If it weren't for that concern I would be all for doing this."


"Dad I know you mean well but I wouldn't be able to terminate the pregnancy," Adam objected. "No matter how it came about, the baby's a part of me, I just can't ...." 
"I know son and normally I'd agree with you," Peter said putting his had on Adam's shoulder. "I'm concerned about your welfare. From what I've learned about this process, the aliens haven't allowed enough time for your body to adjust to the modifications yet. Coupled with the torment they put you through there could be complications that could jeopardize  your health if not your life." Squeezing Adam's shoulder Peter continued "all I ask is think about it before you decide."

"I will Dad, I promise but from where I sit I don't think I have much of a choice. If the aliens are tracking us, I have to go through with this pregnancy." Smiling up at Peter he said "I've defied the odds before, let's hope my luck holds up."


Robert who had been quiet throughout this exchange cleared his throat before speaking "What about the pheromone? We'll start producing it as soon as we give birth, won't we?" Turning to William he said "Dad I don't want what happened to mom to happen to Patricia. I can't have this child if it puts her in danger."


William turned pleading eyes to Peter seeking help, someway to reassure his son. Peter taking the cue spoke up "Robert I understand your concerns believe me I'd feel the same way if I were in your shoes. From what I can tell and the tests we've run on your mom the effects are accumulative, it builds up over time as the pheromone grows in potency. It'll take years before your wife feels any effects from it and once we've released the cure she should be fine."

"How long before we're ready?" Robert insisted. "I need to know the danger I'll be putting my family in before I go through with this. I won't put my children through the same experience as I did growing up." Turning to William he said "I'm sorry your the best dad anyone could ask for but mom was horrible. I know now it wasn't her fault but it doesn't make the past go away."

"We need someone to go to Oasis Landing and learn all they can of their technology. Adam could do it with his background he's the best qualified among us, plus he has a firm grasp on the scientific side of things too. He could probably go in a couple of years."

"Why so long? Why not now?" Robert interrupted agitated with the delay.


"For several reasons. One he's pregnant and can't travel through the time portal without fatal complications. Then he would need to wait for the infant to be old enough to travel through time without experiencing any ill effects." Peter explained knowing that Adam wouldn't want to spend a large amount of time in Oasis Landing without his children even if he returned to the same time as he left. Adam would still feel the pangs of separation.

Adam nodded in agreement to what his father was saying. Seeing the look of disappointment on Robert's face Adam turned to him saying "I know your concerned about your wife but we have to do this the right way or we risk the aliens finding out and destroying everything we hold dear."

Robert looked at Adam knowing what he said made sense, he just wished it wouldn't take so long. "Ok I'll go along with it," he grumbled not happy but feeling he was doing his part to foil the aliens plans.




"Great," Adam said in genuine enthusiasm throwing an arm across his shoulders. "Now do you know of anyone who has a background in technology that would be willing to help?"

William nodded before saying "my daughter Beverly is studying computer programming at university. She'd be willing to help."

"What about Evelyn? She has a degree in technology?" Robert suggested.

"The more the better," Adam said warming to the idea of going to Oasis Landing away from the pressures of his life here and away from any contact with Windy. Now that she was cleared of any involvement of what her husband did to him he was afraid of what she might do.

Peter turned to William saying "would it be possible to have Evelyn come here? I need to see if she's producing pheromones after the birth of her son. I'm worried that with her alien DNA she could be developing it at a faster rate and may start experiencing the ill effects sooner."


William abruptly sat down next to Robert on the bed. "She can't come." Looking at his son he continued "I didn't want to tell you like this but Evelyn was in a really bad car accident a couple weeks ago."

"She's alright isn't she?" Robert asked wishing he could go to her.

"She's still unconscious but the doctors are hopeful she'll pull through," William explained pulling Robert into a hug.

After comforting Robert for awhile, William said goodnight and walked out of the room to speak to Peter. Upon entering Peter's office, Peter stood up saying "I'm sorry about your daughter."




William nodded looking at Peter with tear filled eyes "her brakes failed causing her to lose control of her car. The car went over a cliff and rolled multiple times before exploding. It's amazing she managed to get out and survived at all."

"William I'm sorry but we really do need to run tests on her and gather samples. We'll be as quick and gentle as we can be and won't do anything if her doctor feels it would put her in jeopardy. It really can't be put off."

William nodded his understanding "will you do the tests? I don't trust anyone else."


Peter smiled at him "I'll leave to night to be their first thing in the morning. We'll have to postpone your surgery, unless you want one of my colleagues to perform it during my absence."

"No I'll wait for you. I know you have my best interests at heart, I'm not so confident about anyone else."

"While I'm gone, try to keep the boys calm and upbeat. Also inform security if anyone tries to visit them that are not on the approved visitors list."

"I'll take good care of them, don't worry," William assured him. "I'll call Shon to let him know you're coming and to expect you."
 



7 comments:

  1. Its strange how well these two families fit together. It feels like its all part of just one story, maybe it's because I'm caught up on both. But, I do see stark similarities between the two (Peter and William, Adam and Robert) and so it meshes well. Anyway, back to the actual story, I have my suspicions about the car crash but I'll save that for NSOL. The Jessica thing makes sense now! I wonder how Heath will feel about having an alien sibling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to here that the two stories are meshing together well. I was a little worried about combining them but still keeping them separate (if that makes any sense). I have the next NSOL chapter written but I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to post it. I'm going to try Saturday morning because next week I'll be too busy with family to work on either story. I wonder if your suspicions are correct, guess we'll see. I felt bad about making Jessica so mean and horrible but it was beyond her control, hopefully the kids will be able to forgive her. Heath may be a little jealous having to share his dad.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's about to get interesting with alien babies!

      Delete
  3. Awww. I love these guys, all working together to fight for what's right. Omg, Evelyn was in an accident? T_T So sad. I hope that their plan goes somewhat smoothly. LOL. The way you've integrated the two families together is fitting. Nice job, DandyLion. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked having the opportunity to bring them together like this and yet keep their individual stories. There will be further opportunities for them to interact with each other but that's mostly in NSOL so far. Hopefully everything goes smoothly, everyone needs a break from alien abduction. LOL
      Thank you I was afraid it would get too confusing so I tried to add enough detail from NSOL without repeating unnecessary stuff.

      Delete