Saturday, October 4, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 15 - Too Far

Feel


A few arguments later, Adam found himself on his way back to college. Brian grinned at him from the passenger seat. "What has you so happy?" he asked irritated.

Shaking his head Brian responded "I'm looking forward to this year."

"Doesn't it bother you that you're older then most of the kids in your classes?"

"Not really," he shrugged. "Besides it's really not that much."

"Well I feel old," Adam grumbled.




"It's because you're a dad, while most of the kids here have no concept of responsibility."

"Yeah I guess," he said not completely convinced.

"You just need to relax and quit expecting every girl you meet is going to eat you alive. Not every girl's a maneater."

"You're a fine one to talk. Aren't you the one who said he'd rather be single than married to a VW?"





"That's true," he shrugged looking sideways at his brother. "It still doesn't mean I expect every girl to be a VW. I'm cautious but I expect to meet the right girl one of these days."

"My brother, the eternal optimist," Adam grinned at him.

"That's more like it," Brian said "that's the first smile I've seen you crack since we left."

"Yeah well," Adam sighed "I just wish I didn't feel like I'm abandoning my son to finish my degree." Throwing the car in park he announced "Well we're here. You and Dad won."





Getting out of the car Brian put his arm around his shoulder "Cheer up Adam, for the next few months you get to pretend to be young and carefree."

Unable to hide his grin he playfully punched his brother. "You have such a way of cheering me up. I don't know how I'd manage without you."

"I do my best," he said punching his brother back.

"Do your best by unloading the car," Adam said over his shoulder as he walked towards the dormitory.




"Hey aren't you going to help?" Brian called after him.

"That's why I have you, manual labor," Adam called back laughing as he entered the building.


Mumbling under his breath, Brian started to unload the car. As he entered the foyer he noticed Adam was in a heated argument with someone. Ignoring them, he made his way up the stairs to their room. Dropping the suitcases on the floor, he went down to get another load.



As he was coming down the stairs he noticed several people were milling around gawking at something. Curious as to what was happening Brian was shocked to find that the person Adam was arguing with had him pinned against the wall, yelling at him. Without thinking Brian launched himself at the larger, older man, trying to pull him off his brother.

 
Before he was able to do much, the guy whipped around and punched him, knocking him to the floor. As he laid there stunned, the guy walked swiftly out the door. "Are you ok," Adam asked him as he kneeled down beside him.
 

Rubbing his jaw he said "that guy hits like a sledge hammer. Who is he anyways?"

"That was Scot Macklamoor," Adam said staring at the door that Scot left by.

"No kidding? I guess he's not happy that Windy was arrested again."

"Don't you know it."

"What did he want?" Brian asked rubbing his face.


"That's the whole thing, I don't know. He didn't make any sense. He kept telling me to stay away from his girl. As if I want to be anywhere near her. He should be telling Windy to stay away from me, it's not like I'm the one doing the stalking here."

"Best you keep clear of him from now on." Brian suggested.



"I'm gonna try but I have a feeling it's not going to be easy," Adam said as he followed Brian out to the car. As he grabbed a box from the trunk he noticed Scot watching them from across the road. He shivered in the warm summer breeze as he felt the murderous glare that Scot gave him.


"If looks could kill," Brian said beside him "you'd be dead."

"Now that's a wonderful thought," Adam said trying to laugh it off despite the unwelcome feeling he had that it was indeed going to be difficult to stay out of Scot's way.


After class one day, a month into the second quarter Adam's phone started to vibrate. Pulling it out of his pocket as he walked saying "Hello." Receiving no response from the caller, he repeated this several times before looking at the caller ID. Unknown caller, only one person had ever called him that came up as unknown caller, Windy.




So rattled by this, he did not notice Scot watching him from a nearby bench. Yelling into the phone Adam asked "Who is this?" Listening intently, he heard someone laugh, the sound sent chills down his spine. He knew that laugh, then she spoke "You don't sound happy to hear from me." Scowling at his phone he asked "How did you get my number?"

"I'm married to a faculty member," she laughed "I have access to all kinds of information."



"Leave me alone," he shouted at her as his feet tripped over something in his path. As he fell his phone flew from his hand and landed just out of reach. He landed hard, knocking the wind out of him. As he tried to catch his breath, something large and heavy came down on his back.




A rough hand yanked his head back by the hair as a gruff male voice spoke in his ear "I told you to stay away from my girl." Adam grunted in pain as Scot ground his knee into the small of his back. "This is my last warning." Abruptly Scot let him go and walked swiftly away.


Adam laid there shaking, trying to catch his breath when someone roughly pulled him to his feet. "Are you alright kid?" Adam looked into the kindly eyes of an older man when it dawned on him "Campus Police," he mumbled.


"That's right," the older man said "I saw that guy attacking you. But he took off as soon as he saw me."



Adam spent the next several hours explaining the situation to several different people. By the time he made it back to the dorm, he was exhausted. The most he could hope for is that Scot would be dismissed from his position on campus. He didn't think that was going to be enough to deter Scot, he had a feeling his warning wasn't an idle threat. But why? Why does Scot think he's after Windy? It's Windy who has been contacting him? What was she up to? What has she been saying to convince Scot otherwise? It didn't make sense. Sleeping was an elusive commodity as his mind gnawed on it all night and he woke just as exhausted as he had been the night before.

Sighing deeply he knew it was going to be a long, grueling day. As he walked to class he heard the rumors about Scot. He had been suspended from his position until a disciplinary hearing could be held. Adam wasn't surprised nor was he sorry, his only regret was adding fuel to Scot's hatred.


As graduation neared the harassing phone calls from Windy stopped. Adam wondered at the abrupt silence but hoped that it meant she had finally given up. He hadn't seen Scot anywhere around campus since he lost his job. Adam finally felt like he wasn't a walking target anymore. He was looking forward to going home and being with his son. Things were finally looking up, his grades were good and no Windy contacting him to spoil things. He smiled as he walked, feeling good with where he was at in his life. Reaching for his phone, he failed to notice the van pulling up alongside the curb.


"Hey Dad," he said happy to hear his voice. "Did you get the graduation announcement?" He frowned as two large men walked towards him. Interrupting the happy flow of words from his Dad "I think I might have a problem."



One of the men confronting him said "You're coming with us." Adam tried to turn and run but bumped into a third man that had snuck up behind him. Adam made eye contact with Scot who smirked saying "It's time you learned your lesson." Someone roughly pulled his arms behind his back, sending pain shooting threw them as the ligaments and tendons were stretched and pulled. Someone took his phone from his grasp and smashed it on the concrete. He hoped his Dad had heard enough to know he was in trouble but he feared any help was going to arrive too late.


His feet were knocked out from beneath him. He fell heavily on his face, gasping for air as someone pinned him down as others tried to tie his feet and hands together. He kicked out blindly trying to get free. His feet connected with someone as he heard one of his attackers grunt in pain. He struggled for what felt like forever but was probably no more than five minutes. Adam laid on the ground, bound hand and foot, gagged and blind folded as his assailants panted above him.


Adam grunted in pain as one of them kicked him, then the others joined in the fun. He faintly heard the wail of approaching sirens. "Someone called the cops, we've got to get out of here."

"Calm down, we'll be long gone before they get here."

"They're getting closer."

"Alright we'll go but we're taking him with us."

"That wasn't part of the plan."

"It is now. Come on grab is feet and help me get him into the van."

Adam felt himself being lifted and carried as he heard the van door open. They threw him on the floor, throwing something rough and scratchy over him. He struggled to breath through the gag and the stench of the blanket that smelled of body odor and stale sweat. The sirens drew closer as the doors slammed shut and the engine roared to life. Adam was tossed around on the floor as the van swerved through traffic and turned corners at reckless speeds. For them to be driving this crazy Adam thought the police must be right behind them.


They crashed through something as the wheels left the pavement. For a brief moment it felt like the van was flying before splashing down. Adam's head hit the floor with a resounding thud, coming to again he was lying in water that was rising fast. In growing panic, Adam realized they must have crashed into the lake. Adam struggled to free himself of the blanket that had twisted itself around him. Unable to see or free himself, Adam knew this was the end as frigid water washed over him. As he breathed in water, his thoughts turned to his son and he hoped Heath knew how much he loved him.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.  Beep.


The constant beeping was starting to annoy me. Where am I? Who am I ? I couldn't see anything, couldn't move. Do I have arms? legs? It didn't matter. I existed in a sea of darkness. It would have been peaceful, it had been peaceful before the beeping started.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.  Beep.  Beep.


Uugh someone shut that alarm off. Why do I need an alarm? It's not like I can go anywhere. Where would I go? Still can't see anything beyond this darkness. My existence is the constant beeping sound and darkness. Nothing else existed except for the multiplying questions that ran through my mind. Why am I here? Where am I? Who am I? These questions let me know that there is more to my existence, if I can only break through this darkness. I grow tired and my mind focuses on the beeping. It doesn't matter, it's the only thing I can do.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.  Beep.  Beep.


Another day another beep, an hour? a minute? It didn't matter. It felt like an eternity. Nothing but beeping and darkness. I'm seriously losing my mind. Wait what was that? It felt like someone took my hand and is holding it. Shock fizzled through my brain. I have a hand and someone beyond the darkness is holding it. Excitement quickens my pulse and the beeping increases. If I had a face, I'm sure I would be smiling. I wish I could see who was holding my hand but I can't.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.  Beep.  Beep.



I'm growing frustrated with this darkness that keeps me from seeing. The beeping sound has increased and whoever it is has released my hand. I want to scream and tell them to not leave me alone again. They have no idea how lonely and scared I am to exist in this place. I am screaming but only in my head. I have no mouth to form the words I need so I am unable to communicate with anyone beyond this darkness.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.  Beep.  Beep.


That sound again. It's slow and steady beat is somehow reassuring but maybe it's the hand holding mine. I'm not alone. My mind is doing somersaults. If I had a body I would be jumping with joy. Something bright flashed through my mind. What was that? Whatever it was broke up the monotony of the darkness. I wonder if it will happen again. Flash. Blinding light. I can't see! Oh wait I couldn't see before so it doesn't matter. I see spots that my mind wants to follow and catch. Laughter bubbles up but doesn't escape. I still have no mouth. I see spots, spots before my eyes. My mind sing songs and I am amazed at how easily I am amused.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.  Beep.  Beep.

The flashes of light continue on and off for days. It seems like days, as a I have no idea what day or time it is. It could be years for all I know. I am comforted by the gentle pressure on my hand. I am not alone. Someone cares.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.  Beep.



A sound startles me, someone is crying "Daddy wake up." I should know that sad little voice but the memory eludes me. Other voices intrude upon my solitude. No longer am I alone with the constant steady beeping. They keep pleading with someone to wake up. That someone, could it be me? I still do not know who I am. What I do know is that I have two hands, both are being held by someone. The beeping has stopped, replaced by voices. Voices of people I should know but do not. I find comfort knowing that they are there.

I moan in my sleep as I fight to free myself from my bonds. I struggle but I cannot get free. Strong hands grab me as I scream. The sound shocks me into silence. I have found my mouth. I open my eyes and look into the concerned face of someone I should recognize but do not. This person pulls me close and hugs me.


"Who are you?" even as I ask I regret the pain that flits across his face.

"Don't you know me?" he asks as if he didn't understand. I shake my head saying "I don't even know who I am?" I see tears swell in his eyes as he hugs me again, telling me to go to sleep and when I wake things will be clearer. I do as I am told even though I doubt I will know who he or anyone else is when I wake up.

 
 

10 comments:

  1. Srry didn't mean to enter it twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I like the point of view shift. It's definitely interesting. Scott is a psychopath honestly. So now, Adam lost his memory? Uhoh not good at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scot is definitely that, it didn't help that Windy fed those feelings that he towards Adam but letting him believe that Adam was the one calling her and not the other way around. So things boiled over and out of control. His memory loss won't last long.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. This chapter was the hardest to write but it's one of my favorites
      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  4. Windy must be manipulating Scot somehow because Adam has not stalked Windy at all. Scot must be blind or something, LOL, surely he would have noticed if Windy was being harassed by someone. Maybe it just means him and Windy aren't very close, and he only has her words to rely on because he pays her no attention.

    Awww, Adam has amnesia? T_T I hope his memory comes back because that's the last thing Heath needs, more trauma in his life, and he's only four.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point I don't know who is manipulating whom. Scot and Windy feed off each other and they're both obsessed with Adam. Maybe it's Windy always telling Scot how he'll never measure up to Adam and Scot wanting to get rid of his rival. Even though Adam has done nothing to provoke Scot's animosity, Scot believes that Adam has to want Windy. In Scot's mind who wouldn't want Windy. While Adam is thinking who in their right mind wants her.
      Heath is the real loser in all of this. The only person he has doesn't even know who he is. :(

      Delete