Friday, February 27, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 34 - Coming Home


Waking early Adam silently got dressed and went out to prepare breakfast for the gang.  What had started out to be a brief trip home for his grandfather's funeral turned into an extended trip to Barnacle Bay because of the tragedy that happened to Beverly's father and his friend William.  The longer he lingered in the present increased the odds that Chase would locate them.  It wasn't like Dragon Valley where they were in a blind spot to all time travelers and they couldn't bring the dragons out here either.  Dragons were a well kept secret anywhere but in Dragon Valley.  Most people thought dragons were things of myths and legends.

Mixing the pancake batter Adam gnawed on his bottom lip.  Today was his and Beverly's turn to watch the kids while the rest took turns at the hospital.  William was still in critical condition but at least he was alive.  It was still touch and go but he was no longer on life support.  The doctors were still puzzled as to his remarkable recovery.  Adam smiled knowing they had the alien to thank for that.  He hoped they did the right thing allowing the alien to transfuse his blood into William.  Adam couldn't shake the feeling that they'll be paying the consequences for that decision once the side effects took effect.


Adam kept his concerns to himself for the most part.  Other than Evelyn no one else seemed concerned but he knew Evelyn was thinking along the same thoughts as he was.  How was this going to change William?  Will he be more or less human when he recovered?  Will he too claim to be bonded to the alien?  Will the transfused blood strengthen the bond?  Adam couldn't help but wonder if William felt that bond and he clung to Jessica because it was normal and what he was feeling wasn't?  Shaking his Adam hoped to rid his mind of the never ending questions and nagging worries.

There were so many questions and not enough information.  The alien stayed, too weak to leave and William might need another transfusion.  He was at the house resting.  Everyone else was crammed into Casey's small house as no one else felt comfortable to stay at the house where it had all happened.  Adam knew it was only a matter of time before they put the house up for sale.  He wondered who would want it?  Some morbid individual drawn by the senseless tragedy no doubt.


As the kids stirred to life Adam had pancakes ready and waiting for them.  He frowned when Dana came out holding onto Heath's hand.  Heath turned imploring eyes towards him clearly not liking it any more than Adam did.  That was another situation that had him worried and it seemed only leaving would put an end to it.  Dana's odd behavior was troubling to say the least but Adam found it worrisome that it was directed towards his son.  They had yet to finish the discussion they began on how best to help her.  Adam was afraid that her problems may be shelved due to what happened to William.


For the time being Adam had enlisted the help of Michael to keep them apart.  Michael had been willing to help and seemed willing to take the older boys on day trips to local fishing spots around Barnacle Bay.  Seeing  Michael coming out yawning Adam asked "So what's on the agenda for today?"  Adam noticed the scowl Dana directed at him.

"Not another fishing trip," Dana turned to Heath "You can't go. I forbid it  Your staying here with me."

"Am not" Heath mumbled as he stuffed pancakes into his mouth.

"That's gross.  Stop stuffing your mouth," she demanded.

With a mischievous gleam in his eyes Heath opened his mouth wide displaying all the contents for her to view "is that better?"  Screaming incoherently she grabbed Heath's plate.  He swallowed quickly yelling "hey I'm still eating that."


"Not anymore you're not," she said as she dumped the remaining pancakes over Don's head.

As syrup and pancakes dripped from his head Don demanded "what was that for?  I didn't do anything to you?"

Standing with hands on her hips Dana proclaimed "you exist that's good enough for me."



"That's enough young lady," Adam said coming up to the table standing over them. "I won't tolerate that kind of behavior."

"You're not my father.  I don't have to listen to you." She defiantly announced.  

"No I guess you don't," Adam conceded his tone deceptively soft.  Heath knew when he spoke like that he meant business.  So he was prepared when Adam turned to him "but he does.  Heath you're not to play with Dana.  I don't think she's a good influence for you."



Heath almost giggled as he watched Dana's mouth fall open stunned.  "You can't do that," Dana told him stomping her foot.

"What do you say Heath?  Am I being unfair?" Adam asked winking at him.

"No dad I don't like how she acts either," Heath replied honestly.

"Boys as soon as your done eating you can take off.  Michael I prepared a lunch for you guys so don't forget to take it.  Have fun and be home by supper time."  Adam watched the boys gulp their last few bites and make tracks for the door.  "Where do you think you're going young lady?"


"With them," Dana said pointing.

"I don't think so.  Not after what you did to your brother," Adam told her.  "You're staying and cleaning up the mess you made."

Staring at him then at the congealing pancake mess "you can't seriously expect me to clean that up, do you?"

"I do and you will if  you expect to be able to go outside any time soon," Adam told her as he walked away to help Beverly with all the babies.


Screaming she stomped her foot "you'll regret this," she mumbled under her breath.  Ignoring the mess she went to the window and watched the boys ride by on their bikes.  Maybe if she was quick she could see in what direction the boys went in before they were out of sight.

She moved fast and soon she was running outside looking in all directions but it was too late.  The boys were gone.  Screaming again she threw herself on the ground crying.

***


Looking out the window Beverly observed "that girl isn't quite right is she?"

"That's why I'm concerned about her behavior towards Heath.  It's unnatural.  She shouldn't be that obsessed about a boy she hardly knows."  He put an arm across Beverly's shoulders "we need to talk."


"You want to go back to Oasis Landing don't you?" she asked looking away.  She didn't want him to go without her.  Turning to Adam she grabbed his hand, pulling him close.  "Adam I ... I don't want you to go."

Looking deep into her emerald green eyes he smiled gently.  "If I could stay I would.  I want to be here for you and your family.  There are other things I have to consider like the safety of my kids. The longer we stay the better chance we have that Chase will find us."

"Is that the only reason?" she looked up at him "it's not because you don't trust me with your kids.  I know I messed up and you blame me for what happened with Irissa ...."


Grabbing her arms "What are you talking about?  No it never even crossed my mind."  Pulling her close he kissed her forehead.

"Then why? Why don't you want me to go back with you?" She licked her lips as she eyed Adam's lips.  Before she knew what she was doing she brought her mouth to his.  She had imagined this moment many times in her dreams.  His lips were soft and hesitant but grew more assertive as he deepened the kiss.


Pushing back from her breathing hard "I .... oh god Bev it's not that I don't want you to come back with me ..." Pulling her close holding her face gently in his hands he kissed and nibbled his way to her mouth.  Hovering just above  her mouth "it's the only way I know to keep you safe," he claimed her mouth.  Ignoring the alarms going off in his head telling him he was crossing a line of no return. He didn't care.  All that mattered was this moment.  This girl.  This kiss.

Lost in the heat of the moment Beverly almost missed what he said.  Safe?  Keep her safe?  Pulling away from his insistent mouth she murmured "keep me safe?"


Sighing he leaned his forehead on hers "Emit told me Chase tried to kidnap you and Heath.  Why didn't you tell me?"

Shrugging Beverly turned away from him when Adam reached out and turned her towards him.  "I thought Heath would tell you.  I wasn't trying to hide it from you."

"I've been so worried that something would happen to you and wouldn't be able to protect you.  I'd never forgive myself.  


She brought her hands up and gently stroked his face "is that why you want me to stay here?  Do you really think I'll be safer without you?"  Adam nodded and tried to look away.  She held his face firm and looked deep into his eyes.  "How could I be any safer than in your arms?  We're stronger together than apart.  Don't you think Chase knows how distracted you'd be if we weren't together?"


Chuckling Adam cocked his head "do you think you occupy that much of my mind?  You're not conceited or anything are you?"  Moving away he sighed "I have to admit you're right.  You've been on my mind since the first time I heard Heath call you mom.  I don't know ... hearing that melted the ice around my heart.  I liked the sound of it.  Heath has never warmed up to anyone before not the way he has to you."

Walking up to him she gazed into his eyes "I know what Heath thinks of me but what about you? How do you feel Mr. Ice Man?"

"Like I've come back to life," Adam reached his hand out touching her lips.

Kissing them softly Beverly smiled at him "so we're agreed.  When you go back to Oasis Landing we go together."


"I wouldn't want it any other way," Adam leaned in to kiss her finding he had an insatiable desire to feel her lips against his.

"Good," she mumbled against his lips before losing  herself in his touch.  The persistent ringing of Adam's phone made both of them groan.  "Ignore it," Beverly moaned as he pulled away.

"It could be important," he gave her a quick kiss before answering "hello."  "Hey dad" .... "slow down. What's wrong?" ..... "Is ..... is he alright?" ..... "No I'll get the first flight I can to Isla Paradiso" ..... "Love you too."  Feeling light headed Adam went to his knees putting his head down.  "Adam?" Beverly shouted in alarm.  Rushing to him she wrapped her arms around him "Baby what's wrong?"


"My ... my little brother is in the hospital."  Struggling to his feet he swayed for a moment until Beverly put an arm around him.  Turning to look at her Adam mumbled "thank you"  His actions stiff and jerky like he was fighting to remain in control of his body.  He looked at Beverly with strain evident in his eyes and voice as he said "I can have another conversion episode."


"Adam look at me and breathe." Beverly told him holding his face forcing him to focus on her.  "Tell me what happened."

"Elliot went to Isla Paradiso for spring break.  While scuba diving he was mauled by a shark.  I've got to go,  Mom's beside herself and dad needs help.  I've got to get tickets I ...." he started to shake as he was overcome with wracking sobs.

Beverly held him "let it out baby. Don't keep it inside, let it out."  She kept talking soothing him until he was less distraught.

Lifting his head up he smiled grimly "thank you."

 
Beverly kissed him firmly on the mouth "I'm coming with you."

"What about your family, your dad I ....." Adam protested.

"They're doing much better.  You came with me when I needed you  Let me lean on you when I needed strength.  It's my turn now.  Let me be there for you."  She stroked his face "you've been facing too much alone.  Now you don't have too.  Let me help you.  I'll be your support.  Your shelter in the storm."  Hugging him tight she pulled back enough to look into his eyes "okay baby?"

A  moment of silence while Adam soaked in her words.  He drew her close murmuring "okay," before bringing his mouth down on her with a feeling of coming home.

***
This song seemed perfect for what was going through Adam's mind at this moment in time and been there in his dreams.





4 comments:

  1. You're killing me here ... not Elliot too :( Unless, it's like some trick to lure Adam out? Or sharks have pretty crappy timing...and on spring break? That's tough. But on the plus side...Adam and Bev! I literally laughed out loud when Beverly said, "She isn't quite right, is she?" Haha, seriously Dana looks and acts like a sinister little girl. She means trouble, Adam and Heath better watch out. I notice she doesn't get angry or try to manipulate females though, that's because her mother manipulated her father right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharks have crappy timing. :( Seriously I was free playing with my save for Elliot and this shark comes along and attacks him. I wanted a way to bring Elliot into the story and that gave me a way to do it. Plus I needed a way to get Adam/Bev extricated from the other story back into their own.
      A large portion of this chapter was dedicated to them finally admitting their feelings for each other. Finally something good in the middle of so much drama.
      With Adam's past he recognizes the obsessive tendencies that Dana is displaying as familiar behavior he remembers from his mother Vallari. Scary thought and he wants Heath as far away from Dana as possible. She might try to manipulate females if she feels threatened by them. How will she react when she and Heath become teenagers and he starts to date? It might mean trouble for whoever that is if her obsession is over by then.

      Delete
  2. Oh nooooo, not Elliot and his gorgeous self. Ok, sorry that sounded quite superficial. LOL. I am sad that Elliot got mauled by a freaking shark?! *slaps shark*
    Yay Beverly talked to Adam about her fears. I'm glad.
    LOL, I greatly enjoyed how Adam turned it around on Dana, and telling Heath he wasn't allowed to play with her. XD Is... Dana just having a crush on Heath, and showing it in an unhealthy way or something? I know you said she was behaving like her mother did, but does she know what she's doing is bad, or is she just enjoying the little thrill of being bad without knowing it's harmful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll find out in the next couple of chapters how Elliot is doing. Maybe a little shark hunting is in order! LOL
      Yay they finally talked and are now an official couple.
      There's a lot of things going on with Dana. She does have a crush on Heath and the way she's showing it is unhealthy to say the least. Adam is probably a little too sensitive to her actions because of dealing with Windy all those years. He just wants Dana as far away from Heath as possible. Also she's mimicking her mother, really that's the only role model she has had up to this point. There may be an underlying personality problem that may get worse as she gets older if she doesn't get the right kind of help. But right now she doesn't see her actions as being bad. No one has ever told her and Don has always paid the price for her actions. So if anything she thinks everything she does is right. This is the first time anyone has ever told her her actions were unacceptable.

      Delete