Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 35 - Shark Attack Part 1


Once they arrived at the airport they took a taxi to the hospital.  Adam's thoughts were on Elliot and the beauty of his surroundings were lost to him.  Beverly squeezed his hand reminding him that he was  alone.  Turning he smiled at her, leaning over he kissed her cheek.

"Eew dad no PDA in public please," Heath complained from the front seat.

"Get used to it kid," Adam retorted.

"Does that mean Beverly will be our mom now?" Heath asked with a hopeful note in his voice as he turned around to look at his dad.

Raising an eyebrow at Beverly Adam rolled his eyes, "it means we're working on it."

"Good I like  her," Heath smiled satisfied with the answer.  "Can I be the best man?"


"We'll discuss that when the time comes," Adam told  him turning to look out the window to hide his flushed face.

"and Irissa can be the flower girl,"  Heath continued.  After a moment of silence he continued "I think you should get married here on the beach."

"What are you, my wedding planner?" Adam joked.

"Can I?  That would be so cool," Heath said enthusiastically looking forward to his dad getting married.

"Give me patience," Adam mumbled leaning his head on the cool window

"Don't I get a say in any of this.  After all I'm supposed to be the bride.  Isn't the wedding all about the bride?"  Beverly asked intrigued to see what Heath's reply would be.


"Well ... I guess so," Heath grudgingly acknowledged "but I've been waiting a long time for dad to meet the right girl so it's his day too.  It has to be perfect."

Laughing Beverly asked "and you know what you're dad wants."

"Of course I'm a genius.  I know everything," Heath informed.

"I hate to rain on your parade but I haven't even proposed yet," Adam told them in the hope they would give it a rest. 
"You better get on that dad.  I can't do everything," Heath told him as he turned around and looked out the front window.

"Shall I take you and the lovely lady to a jewelry store?  We have several that would have appropriate rings for you to choose from sir." the taxi driver asked helpfully.

"Not you too," Adam moaned shaking his head. "No we need to get to the hospital."

***


His father told him to go to the VIP waiting room but once they entered into the lobby of the hospital Adam had no idea where to go.  He stood in line for the receptionist just to be directed to the elevator up to the fourth floor, room 405.  He hoped the rest of the hospital staff was friendly than the over worked crabby receptionist he spoke with.  


Exiting the elevator Adam ushered his family into the hallway as he tried to figure out which way to go to find room 405.  Why couldn't the hospital put up helpful mags to tell someone where they are?  How many waiting rooms did one hospital need that they had to number them?  As these thoughts raced through his mind raised voices caught his attention.  One of the voices was undeniably that of his father's.  Turning to Beverly "somethings wrong dad doesn't get angry very often or easily and I can hear him all the way out here.  Whatever is going on I don't think we should bring the kids in there."

Nodding her agreement Beverly turned to Heath smiling "why don't we take Irissa for a little walk along the beach. And you can tell me all your ideas about the wedding."

"Oh can we?" Heath asked with undisguised excitement in his voice.  "That would be so cool if I had a say in the wedding."


Rolling his eyes he gave Beverly a kiss before walking them back to the elevator.  "Have fun and remember it's my wedding too."

"I know, I know but if you ask me you have enough to worry about with the proposal." Heath told him.

Laughing despite himself "you might be right but you don't have to rub my nose in it."

"Bye dad, love you," Heath called as the elevator doors closed.

"Love you too," Adam whispered turning back to confront the raised angry voices from down the hall.

***


"You narrow minded little prick," Adam heard his dad say as he opened the door.  He had to hide his smile as it's not very often he heard his dad use that kind of language with anyone.

"Hey what's going on here?" Adam asked looking towards his dad "I can hear you all the way to the elevator."


"It's my fault," a young man with brightly colored hair said standing up awkwardly.

"It's not your fault," Peter told him his voice somewhat calmer but no less furious.  "It's this so called father of yours."

"If I had known this was the way I was going to be treated I wouldn't have offered you and family lodging at my resort," the older bald man retorted.

"You can keep your room, we won't be needing it."  Peter pulled his phone out "Jean honey no I haven't spoken with the doctor yet.  No I'm being stonewalled by a pompous jackass who thinks he runs the hospital.  I'll take care of it.  But in the mean time I need you to find us alternate lodgings.  I have no intentions of staying at the said jackass's resort.  Yeah I love you too."

"Excuse me, who are you?" Adam asked the older man who looked like he was about to explode.


"I'm Theodore Randell Lawrence the third.  Owner of the Lawrence Resorts and chairman of the board of hospital.  I decide where our resources are spent and what medical procedure we provide.  You'd be wise to tell your father to shut up and do as he's told.  We won't be wasting time and resources on any experimental procedures on the say so of your father."  



Ignoring the self-important wind bag Adam eyed the boy sitting like so much wilted lettuce.  Walking over to the him Adam held out his hand "you must be Kyle, I'm Adam." The boy took his hand as he nervously watched the pompous man who was pacing the room like a caged lion.  Adam gave him a slight smile before turning to confront the bag of hot air "Mr Lawrence I don't believe we've been properly introduced I'm Adam Van Winkle."

The man ignored his proffered hand as stared at Adam "your brother of the queer my son brought home."  Adam's eyes narrowed at the intended insult.


"My brother's sexual preference is none of your business" Adam said his tone low but firm. 

"Well the tabloids don't seem to think so," he waived a picture in front of Adam's face "have you seen this?"


"Dad I told you it's not what it looks like," Kyle pleaded standing up taking the magazine from his fathers outstretched hand.  "It was a stupid scheme I had to make a girl jealous.  I talked Elliot into because he couldn't say no to his best friend.  I didn't think anyone would be taking pictures or sell them."

"That's the problem with you Kyle you never think."  Mr Lawrence shook his fist at  Kyle  "I see now I should have been stricter on you.  After you ran away to do that ridiculous show embarrassing me, your mother and brother I thought sending you away to university would give you some direction in your life.  Instead you completely ignored my wishes and changed all your classes to Home Ec 101.  No son of mine is going to be a pansy."


"Dad I took courses in cooking.  I'm learning from the greats.  Gino  says I have what it takes to be a great chef I just need ..."

"I don't care what that man told you.  I'm your father and you will do as a I say.  I'm telling you I will not tolerate any son of mine working in a kitchen and serving others.  You will run the resort with your brother ...."

"I don't want to run the resort.  Randy can have it.  I just want to cook.  Why can't you accept that?  Why won't you try to understand?"

"What I understand is your a lazy good for nothing unappreciative spoiled brat who needs a strong hand to guide him in the direction he needs to go." Mr Lawrence stepped close to Kyle grabbing his arm "I have stopped the automatic payments for your tuition.  I have sold the houseboat you have been living on.  You will come to live with us at the resort.  You will learn the business with your brother and you will marry Madeline Hall of Hall Industries."

"I won't," Kyle protested struggling to break free from his father's fierce grip.  Slapping him hard across the face Mr Lawrence releases him.  Kyle fell to the floor holding the side of his as his father towered above him "if I have to I'll beat the g..."



He didn't get a chance to finish as a fist landed hard in his face knocking him to the floor.  Peter stood over him breath rapidly "Adam take Kyle out of here while his dad and i have a little chat."  Helping Kyle to his feet Adam looked at his dad who nodded back at him "don't worry son I'm not going to beat the shit out of him even if he does deserve it." 
Smothering a giggle Adam turned to Kyle "let's get you cleaned up.  Then we'll meet up with my girlfriend and kids."


Nodding Kyle walked towards the door hesitating be turned towards his father "dad please...."

"If you go out that door don't bother coming back.  We're through forever."  Mr Lawrence told him refusing to look at him.

"That's a bit harsh don't you think?" Adam said in disbelief.  He couldn't imagine saying something like that to Heath.  Putting a hand on Kyle's shoulder Adam silently gave the boy the reassurance to pull himself together and walk out the door.   They took a half dozen steps before Kyle stopped leaning again the wall.  "Come on," Adam gently tugged on Kyle's arm "I'm sure the cleaning staff doesn't want to be cleaning up your blood from the wall."

Laughing Kyle wiped his eyes on his arm nodding "no they wouldn't even if it were Lawrence blood."


"It's kind of fancy in here for a hospital," Adam commented on the plush decor.  

Shrugging "Lawrence money hard at work.  My father believes donating money is a way to ensure people do as they're told and look the other way when he's being an ass."

"He probably has all the feeble minded falling all over him to their hands on his money," Adam said in a disgusted tone.  Several security guards stepped out of the elevator running past them towards the waiting room.  "Uh oh looks like your dad called in reinforcements."

"Yeah he likes to throw his weight around,"  Kyle said looking towards the door.


"Come on kid your blood isn't going to wash off by itself."

"Aren't you concerned about your dad?" Kyle asked half way turned back towards the waiting room.

Catching his arm Adam shook his head "dad knows how to take care of himself.  He doesn't want us in there.  That's why he sent us out.  He's fully capable of throwing his own considerable weight around too.  Your dad isn't going to know what hit him."

"I'd like to see that," Kyle said with a twinkle in his blue eyes.

"I bet you would.  But dad sent us away and not even I want to disobey him in this." Adam firmly directed them back towards the elevator "I know I saw a sign to a restroom somewhere along here," he muttered as they neared the elevator.

***


Washing his face in the sink of opulent restroom Kyle looked up to find Adam watching him "do I pass inspection?"

"Barely but you'll do," Adam smiled.  He was about to say something else when his phone started to vibrate "Hello?" .... "Dad is everything alright" ..... "Mr Lawrence oh he's gone".... "Is he out of surgery?" ..... "Oh".... "I'll find the others, feed them lunch then come back" .... "love you"....


Looking at Kyle he smiled "your dad left in a huff but we still have domain over the VIP room.  Evidently your dad felt it was his personal domain since he paid for redecorating.  Dad countered that with the mention of the Van Winkle research fund that allowed the hospital to build the extensive new medical wing the hospital just built and the continued research funds that dad's science lab provides.  It probably had hospital administration scrambling to appease my dad to keep those funds available."  Turning to Kyle he added "I told you my dad could handle himself if push came to shove.  He doesn't very often feel the need but I think he pulled out all the stops to put bring your dad down a peg or two."

"I wish I could have seen it," Kyle said "it's not very often he gets the worst of any encounter."

"He had dad's dander up already but when he hit you that's when the kid gloves came off.  Game over.  That's one thing you'll learn about my dad, there's nothing he won't do for his kids.  That also extends to those his kids fall in love with ...."

"I don't ... I told you that wasn't what it looked like ..." Kyle stammered.


Shrugging "whatever, you're still included in the protection bubble.  Dad couldn't just stand by and let the guy hit you.  That's not who he is."

Thinking over what Adam said Kyle had a sudden idea "Brian Van Winkle, is he your brother?"

Nodding "yeah he's the quiet one.  Talented but quiet.  We were all surprised when he was offered to do Sim Star Idol, he I guess all of us didn't think he was famous enough for the show.  But Shannon, his wife convinced him to do it.  He was really upset with Percy.  That's one thing Brian won't tolerate underhanded unfair dealings.  He would have been Percy's biggest advocate if he would have played fair."

"So is he coming too?" Kyle asked.

"I'm not sure.  He has his hands full with twins and Shannon is expecting again, this time with triplets.  Shannon is having a difficult pregnancy this time an the twins are handful, so I don't think Brian will make the trip out here unless Elliot takes a turn for the worst."  Looking at the clock Adam groaned "come on if we don't hurry I'm going to have two very hungry and crabby kids on my hands and that's never a good combo."

***


They met up with Beverly and the kids as they were half-way back to the hospital.  "Hey what's up?  I thought you were going to the beach?" Adam asked.

"It's closed to the public," Heath explained "some body's getting married."

"Oh" Adam smiled "did it give you any ideas?"

Shaking his head "no it was two guys getting married.  If Beverly was a boy I'd have asked to stay and watch but since she's not what's the point?"  Heath pointed out.  "I'm hungry.  When are we are going to eat?"

"How about now?  What would like to eat?"  Adam asked everyone as he took Irissa from Beverly.

Shrugging "I dunno, food." was Heath's less than helpful response.

"How about the rest of you?" Adam asked and before Kyle could respond he added "don't say food or I just might have to hit you."

"Well since you put it so nicely," Kyle thought for a moment then suggested "hot dogs?"

"Hot dogs, can we dad?" Heath asked while Beverly groaned beside him.

"Not your favorite I take it," Adam asked her.

"No but I'll eat one," she smiled "so whose your friend?"

"Oh this is Kyle Lawrence, Elliot's roommate and best friend from college," Adam told her.


"Oh"  Beverly continued to stare at Kyle "I know why you look so familiar, you were on Sim Star Idol.  You were one of my favorites next to Gene."

"You watched the show," Kyle asked " and I wasn't your favorite.  You wound me." He stuck is bottom lip out and pretended to pout.

"Don't take it personally," Beverly laughed "I was pro Gene all the way.  He's my brother."

"Ah that explains it, nepotism."  Kyle laughed "you do look like him except the eyes.  You have really pretty eyes." He winked "I have a thing for green eyes."

Stepping between Kyle and Beverly Heath said "hands off mister.  She's taken or dad will have to beat you up."

Kyle put his hands up in mock surrender "Is that so?" Kyle asked enjoying himself.  Heath nodded.
"I'm afraid she's off the market," Adam said putting an arm around her shoulders.

"I can always fight you for her," Kyle offered.

"Dad will win, won't you?" Heath turned to Adam not sure if this was serious or not.

Winking at Heath Kyle turned to Adam "I concede.  You win.  If you punch half as well as Peter does I don't stand a chance."

"Did grandpa his you?" Heath asked astonished pointing at Kyle's black eye.

"No but you're grandpa hit the guy who did.  He's my hero," Kyle told him with a straight face.
"He's mine too next to dad," Heath told him in a confidential tone.


Sitting at one of the outside tables waiting for their order to arrive Beverly asked "tell me Kyle did you ever convince Ivy to give you a chance."

"No that was a never gonna happen," Kyle sheepishly admitted looking out across the beach towards the ocean.  "I had some crazy idea if I came home with a pretty girl on my arm that it would somehow appease my dad.  Get him off my back about being gay.  I don't know it was stupid."

"Oh," Beverly blinked turning towards Adam "so are you and Elliot ...."

"No" he was quick to deny.

"It's alright if you are, isn't that right dad?" Heath added "Great Uncle John is, so it'd be alright."

"Quite right," Adam backed up his son looking at Kyle as he added "so why does your dad believe you're gay?  You don't have to tell us but it seems to be a touchy subject with him."

Looking down at the sand beneath his feet he mumbled "he caught me making out with my best friend from high school.  It was my first kiss and it just sort of happened.  It was then that dad barged into my room and found us kissing.  He hit the roof, he was so furious.  I never saw my friend after that.  A month later my friend's dad lost his job and they had to move off the island.  I know my dad had something to do with it, he was too pleased with himself afterwards.  Since then I mostly just dated girls."

"Do you like girls?" Heath asked.


"Yes I find them attractive," Kyle said.  Looking over at Adam he asked "should we be discussing this in front of him?"

Shrugging "I don't see why not.  I'd rather he feel free to discuss anything with me instead of getting his information off the street.  At least this way I know what he's thinking and what information he's getting."

Looking from his dad to Kyle Heath asked "so you like girls and boys?"  Blushing Kyle choked on his hot dog.  "Doesn't that make you bi not gay?"

"I guess so," Kyle muttered.

"I think it's time for a change in subject," Adam said looking at Heath.

"Why?" Heath asked.

"We're making Kyle uncomfortable," Adam told him.

"Oh, sorry," Heath said dropping the subject while he continued to stare at Kyle.


"What?" Kyle asked catching his eye "do I have something on my shirt?" he asked inspecting himself.

Shaking his head Heath blurted out "Are you part IF?"

"Am I what?" Kyle asked shocked "How?  What makes you think that?"

"Your hair," Heath told him in a matter of fact tone "or do you color it that way?"

"Would you believe me if I told you I was born this way?" Kyle asked attempting to joke.

"Yes," was the unexpected reply.

"Why?"Kyle asked intrigued by this little kid.


"Because mine is blue and I was born that way. My mom was an IF."  Heath confided "so I thought you might be like me."

"You're a weird little kid do you know that?" Kyle said.

"No I'm a genius.  People get weird confused with genius all the time," Heath told him with a straight face.  "You haven't answered my question."

"Can I trust you?" Kyle asked leaning across the table towards Heath.  Heath nodded.  "Ok then yes my father my mother's IF come to life.  I get my hair from him.  My brother looks more like my mom but acts more like dad."

"Your dad didn't .... he shaves his head." Adam stated. 

"Yeah.  He told me to do the same actually when i was a kid I had no choice.  But once I turned 18 I let my hair grow out."  Turing to them he begged "please don't tell anyone.  He forbade me to ever tell anyone he was an IF."

"Your dad isn't very nice is he?" Heath wondered aloud.  Kyle shook his head "neither is my mom.  She hurt my dad and almost killed him."

"Heath that's enough," Adam said sternly.

"Is that true?" Kyle asked turning to Adam "my dad hurts my mom all the time.  Everyone here is too scared of him to do anything about it."


"Is that why you had to run away to appear on the show?" Beverly asked.

Kyle nodded "Dad would never have allowed me otherwise. You don't disobey him unless you're willing to pay the consequences.  I never wanted to go to college but I accepted the offer because it meant not being here.  I miss my mom but I'm not welcome here unless I'm willing to tow the line. Which means marrying Madeline Hall and producing the next heir."

"Why can't you're brother marry her instead?" Adam asked "why does it have to be you?"

"Apparently Randy shoots blanks and can't have children.  Dad forced me to get tested and I'm fine so it's up to me to produce the heir."

"That explains a lot." Adam stated.

"It'd mean no heirs to pass his kingdom to," Kyle said glumly.

"But great grandfather was working on a procedure to duplicate how the aliens made dad be able to have a baby.  Grandpa is going to finish it, I know he will.  Then you could have your own babies."  Heath added into the conversation.

"Heath ...." Adam attempted to gain Heath's attention.

"What dad?" Heath asked.


"Heath you know grandpa's research is confidential," Adam reminded him.

"I know but Kyle isn't just anybody, he's Uncle Elliot's friend.  He's practically family." Heath told him confidant he could trust Kyle after all he was like him, part IF.

"Heath is a pretty good judge of character.  Welcome to the family," Adam held out his hand smiling.
Taking his hand Kyle said "great I mean I could use family right now.  I'll keep your secret if you keep mine."

"Deal" everyone said in unison

"We need to get back to the hospital and see if there's anything new on Elliot's condition." Adam said gathering up the debris from their lunch.




4 comments:

  1. Well being part IF would explain Kyle's hair color. I'm a firm believer that not all IF's are bad, even if all of the ones in your story are (and Rickie and David in mine) xD Will Kyle and Gene ever meet again? That'd be cool! Kyle's dad is really bad, woah. I thought Aimee was having it bad, but talk about throwing your money around. Heath is a cutie pie! He's already planning a wedding and Beverly doesn't seem to think it's a bad idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Night is growing on me. He better not turn out to be bad. Maybe one day I'll have an IF in my game that isn't bad. Heath's mission is to find out why they all turn against the one who made them real. Kyle's dad is a real piece of work. But Kyle is a sweetie and has been adopted by the Van Winkle tribe, so we'll be seeing more of him. Funny his story came to me when I putting screen shots of him and Elliot on Tumblr so I had to bring them into the story. Heath is a cutie and he brings some comic relief to an otherwise emotionally charged situation. I hope he keeps that as he gets older. I'm looking forward to his generation to start. Wedding plans are in the works and Beverly is 100% on board with it. Adam may need some convincing. He's a worrier but knowing that Heath is for it is going to make things much easier for him ;)
      Kyle and Gene .... maybe. I've got ideas but you'll have to wait to see what they are.

      Delete
  2. Kyle's hair is awesome. I sometimes make my Sims have crazy hair all on my own, so I didn't immediately think Kyle was part IF, but that makes sense that he is. *whispers* Kyle's really hot too... I can't wait to see more of him and Elliot in the same pictures. Teehee.
    LOL, Heath is so much of a little meddler! It's quite adorable, but hopefully he doesn't keep being so pushy and make Adam upset or give Beverly stress when they actually do want to get married.
    The IF thing also makes a lot of sense since your IF's were crazy, LOL, that Kyle's father would be so crazy. He's just like a stereotypical snobby rich guy. It makes me wonder if he was like Windy, where he had some bad influence in his life, that he molded himself to, mimicking their personality and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR I made Kyle for a challenge and he showed up as Elliot's roommate at college. So I had to bring him into the story. Also I got distracted and left Elliot on free will and I come back and they're making out in the hot tub. He obviously knows what he likes so I went with it. So there will be more pictures ;)
      Heath just wants his dad happy. He doesn't mean to to be pushy but Beverly is like the only person Heath has liked that Adam had dated so he's overly excited to get them together. Adam might need the extra push and Beverly doesn't mind, she's used to kids. She has like a million brother's and sisters.
      Not all IF's are crazy just the ones in my stories lol. Who knows maybe I let Heath meet one that is nice? Kyle's father likes to look important and goes to great lengths to show it. Including changing this name to sound entitled. His IF name was Sharkie and that doesn't sound like the typical snobby rich guy. His personality matches his real name though. I was going to include that in this chapter but I see I didn't maybe it'll come up in the second part. He might be imitating Kyles grandfather who liked to boss people around.

      Delete