Saturday, March 14, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 35 - Shark Attack Part 2


Beverly took the kids to the resort Jean had obtained that was in competition with Lawrence Resorts. Adam was relieved to have the kids out of the way for a while.  He wasn't sure what was going to happen with Elliot and he didn't want the kids there to hear it.  All the doctors were deaf and dumb when they were asked questions regarding Elliot's condition.  Taking pity on Kyle, Adam put a hand on his shoulder  "he's going to be alright."

Kyle looked at him with bright blue eyes "I hope so.  I keep replaying  it in my mind.  If I hadn't chosen that spot for scuba diving maybe none of this would have happened."

Concern prompted Adam to say "Kyle this wasn't your fault.  Elliot is an experienced scuba diver even if he didn't grow up here.  He knew what he was doing. You couldn't have known this would happen."





"I know it's just .... I keep seeing the shark.  It keeps replaying over and over in my mind."  He shivered hugging himself.


Walking into the waiting room Adam found his sister Doloris arguing with a doctor.  Turning towards Elias he asked "what's going on?"


Elias glanced over at his wife "you know what she's like.  She's on a mission and that idiot of a doctor just told her a procedure couldn't be done.  She just about went ballistic on him since it's something she's done multiple times in Appaloosa. "  He turned a wary eye towards the ongoing discussion "your dad was trying to reason with the idiot but it doesn't look like it's working.  Even Peter looks like he's about to explode."

Adam watched his dad for a moment and he certainly looked like he was upset.  He had every right being the father of the boy who was injured and being refused adequate medical help.  Sighing Adam approached the group.


"I'm sorry we're not equipped to do that kind of procedure here," the harassed doctor shook his head.


"What the hell do you mean your not equipped," Peter yelled at him.  "What happened to the money that my lab funded for this hospital to obtain that very same equipment?  A medical facility situated near the ocean should be equipped to handle shark attack victims.  What kind of establishment is this that you care more about the interior design then the welfare of the patients?"

"You'll have to take that up with hospital administration.  I don't have the authority to say where the money is spent. I'm sorry," he said as he beat a hasty retreat.


"Of all the stupid ... "Doloris began only to be stopped by the angry glare from her father.  "I could do that procedure with my eyes closed given the right equipment."

"I'm sure you could but it's useless if the hospital isn't equipped."  Peter blinked back tears trying to clear his head.

"Is Elliot stable enough to be moved?" Adam asked.  Both Doloris and Peter turned to look at him.

"What are you thinking?" Peter asked.

Shrugging "I was thinking why not have Elliot transferred to another facility where he could get the proper care he needs."

"If he doesn't get the right care soon he'll lose his leg," Doloris said out loud.


"So why not move him?" Adam pressed on. "If time is paramount we're wasting it here arguing with idiots who would rather spend money decorating then on equipment to help people."

Pondering his words Peter nodded "your right.  I'll make the arrangements."  Turning to Doloris Peter asked "will you fly with him?  I want someone I can trust up there with him."

"All you had to do was ask," Doloris told him as she followed him out of the room.

***


Kyle was unusually quiet, observing how the Van Winkle family pulled together.  He had never experienced or seen that kind of family bond before.  "I never really believed Elliot when he said his family would move mountains to help each other."


Before Adam could respond to Kyle's comment a commotion at the door had both of them turning. Adam smiled as he recognized the people coming through the door.  "Brian, Corina I'm so glad you're here," Adam said with a smile giving each of them a hug.


"Kyle it's been awhile," Brian said engulfing him in a hug.  "So your the college roommate. I thought the name was familiar but I never thought of you as college material."  Brian shrugged "I've been a little busy."

"I here congratulations are in order," Kyle told him with a smile.

"Thanks," Brian beamed at him "the twins are a handful and feel like I never get any sleep."

"Did Shannon come?" Adam asked.

"She wasn't feeling well.  This pregnancy is taking a lot out of her."  Turning to Kyle "We're expecting triplets this time around."


"Congrats man but if you think you're tired now just wait until the triplets are here." Kyle joked.

"You have such a way of making a guy feel so much better," Brian quipped.  Turning to Adam "so where's dad?"

"Arranging Elliot's transfer from this sorry excuse of a hospital," Adam told him.

Brian's eyes narrowed over Adam's comment but he chose not to comment.  "Kyle have you met our sister Corina?"  

Corina smiled at Kyle's confused expression "Doloris and I are twins.  We also have two younger sisters that are twins too.  Have you met them?"


"Yeah we met when they were staying at my family's resort," Kyle explained
.
"Were?  Did you run out of room for everyone?" Corina inquired.

"Not exactly," Kyle began.

"More like dad had a major clash with Kyle's old man.  He's a pompous ass.  Sorry Kyle but he is," Adam added to the conversation.

"Don't apologize.  I've known that for a while now," Kyle said his voice flat.


"I'm beginning to understand why you felt you had to run away to do the show," Brian chuckled.

"That makes it sound like he ran away to join the circus," Corina added.

"Not far from it.  We never knew what those idiots were going to be doing when we went into that house," Brian told her.

They sat in the waiting room talking to each other.  Kyle found himself wrapped in a cocoon of family love even though he didn't know much about them he felt he belonged.  So engaged in their conversation no one noticed when a man entered the room.  


"Kyle you're coming home now," the loud arrogant voice boomed into the conversation like the loud clap of thunder.

"Dad," Kyle jumped to his feet in shock.

"Now Kyle," Mr Lawrence growled grabbing his son's arms, yanking him towards the door.


"Dad I .... I ...." Kyle stuttered the old fear threatening to drown him.  Taking a deep breath "I'm staying here."  He tried to yank his arms free from his father's strong grip.

"You'll do as your told," his father intoned.  "I won't tolerate disobedience.  Not from my subordinates and definitely not from my son."


Adam nodded towards Brian who maneuvered towards the door, blocking the exit.

"I'm an adult" Kyle protested "I can make my own decisions."

"Not for much longer," his father informed him "I'm having you declared mentally unfit and incapable of making decisions.  In a few days I will be made your custodian and I will be making all decisions for you."


Clearing his throat Adam glared at the older man "that doesn't give you the right to drag him off..."

"It certainly does.  I'm his father.  I won't let him hang out with the likes of you."  He pulled harder on Kyle's arm as he walked towards the exit.  "Get out of my way," he demanded when he found Brian blocking the door.


"Where is your certificate declaring you Kyle's custodian?" Brian asked leaning casually against the door.  

"Unless you have the necessary papers proving your claims you have no right to forcefully take Kyle anywhere," Corina said approaching him.

"Who do you think you are little girl?" Mr Lawrence growled as spittle flew from his mouth.


"Who I am is less important than what I am," she smiled up at him like a cat who at the mouse "I'm a lawyer and as of this minute Kyle is my client and unless you want charges of harassment and attempted kidnapping brought against I would suggest you let Kyle go."

Mr Lawrence stared down at her.  Corina refused to blink as she returned his stare.  The years of facing off against Vallari were paying off as she refused to back down.  Mr Lawrence growled deep within his throat at he dropped Kyle's arms.  "We're not finished."

"I'm sure we're not," Corina said handing him her card.  "If you need to contact my client you can do so at that number."

Glancing at the card he visibly paled "I'll be in touch." He walked towards the door that Brian held open for him.  He turned around looking straight at Kyle "I'm disappointed in you."  He turned and walked out the door.


"Wow," Brian said "that guy has serious issues.  He's almost as bad if not worse than Vallari ever was."  Turning to Kyle he said "If I were you I'd run as far and as fast as I could while I could."

Kyle looked from one to the other struck dumb by what he had witnessed.  No one had ever stood up for him before and never ever against his dad.  Everyone cowed down to his father and let him walk over them.  Struggling with his emotions he mumbled a heartfelt thank you.

***


The door swung open again and they all turned at once to see Peter coming in.  "What did I miss?" Peter asked as they all seemed shell shocked.

"Nothing we couldn't handle,"Adam told him. "We just had an unpleasant visit from the pompous ass."


"Adam ...."

"Yeah I know ... watch my language."  Adam smiled at him "but he is one and you know it."

Peter rolled his eyes choosing to let it slide "I have an airplane arranged to transfer Elliot to Appaloosa. We have room for me, Doloris and one more."  He looked directly at Kyle "Do you want to be the one more?"

Flustered when all eyes turned in his direction Kyle stuttered "I would but I ... don't want to intrude ..."

"Son your not intruding," Peter told him "we're not leaving you behind whether you come with me or Adam.  You're coming. Elliot would be furious with us if we left you behind to confront you father on your own."


"Thank you sir," Kyle said almost speechless.

"Do you need to get anything before we go?" Peter asked the boy.

Looking down at the clothes he was wearing Kyle shook his head "I guess what you see is what I have.  Dad would have taken everything else I had when he sold my houseboat."

"Don't worry about it.  We'll go shopping for whatever you need once we get to Appaloosa." Turning to the others "The airport has tickets for the rest of you for tomorrow morning.  Jean and the kids will be flying out this evening."

"Don't worry dad, we'll take care of her and the kids," Adam assured him.

"All right then we'll be on our way," Peter said giving each of them a hug.


As they walked from the waiting room Kyle began "I don't want to impose or be a burden on you."

"Don't be ridiculous" Peter told  him brushing his comments off.

"Thank you sir," Kyle mumbled overwhelmed with the acceptance he was receiving from the entire Van Winkle family.

"Son we're going to have to do something about you calling me sir."  Peter said putting a hand on Kyle's shoulder "How about you call me Peter instead."

***


An hour later Kyle was staring out the airplane window when Peter sat beside him.  Turning to look at him Kyle asked "how's Elliot?"

Leaning back Peter closed his eyes "as good as can be expected I guess.  He's resting comfortably thanks to painkillers.  The sooner we get to Appaloosa the better.  Doloris is watching him and she's one of the best neurosurgeons in the country."

"Really?" Kyle asked in surprise "she's so young."

"She's a genius," Peter told him confident in his daughters abilities.  "Don't worry she'll take good care of him."  Sitting up straight Peter looked at the boy sitting next to him.  "Kyle I can tell you care a great deal for Elliot. If you need someone to talk to I'm here."

Jumping a little in his seat Kyle wondered if the family were mind readers along with being geniuses.  "He's my best friend," he mumbled.

"If you say so," Peter shrugged "but don't you think you owe yourself and Elliot the truth."


"He's my best friend," Kyle repeated turning to look at Peter.  Kyle found Peter's presence reassuring "I'm not sure what I feel or what Elliot feels.  We shared a moment in college.  I'm sure it meant more to me than him."  He sighed turning away looking at the passing clouds.

"Do you really think you tricked Elliot?" Peter asked with a hint of amusement in his voice.

"What?" Kyle asked staring wide-eyed at Peter.

"That make-out session in the hot tub," Peter smiled at him.  "I do see the gossip magazines from time to time; especially when they're delivered to me like this one was.  I'm sure whoever it was wanted a different reaction from me.  Probably expecting something along the lines of your father." Peter smiled "they were disappointed to say the least.  I love my children.  I want them to be happy. If you bring my son happiness and love, who am I to judge?"

"But Elliot has a girl friend," Kyle protested "he talked about her all the time."

"She's a very nice girl but they're not dating anymore," Peter said.  "They broke up when Elliot was home last Christmas.  She wanted someone closer to home.  Elliot I believe was beginning to have mixed feelings for his best friend."

"But he ... he never said anything," Kyle sighed


"No he wouldn't would he? You were always talking about your next scheme to get the girl."  Peter laughed at his confused expression mixed with embarrassment.  "You really need to sit down and talk about your feelings with him.  You could be missing out on something wonderful.  Elliot chose to come to Isla Paradiso with you instead of coming home.  That should tell you something."  Peter got up saying "think about it."


A couple weeks later Kyle was still thinking about what Peter said to him.  Could it be that easy?  It felt odd to be so accepted.  He was more used to being the clown in any situation.  The guy who couldn't sit still.  The one with all the crazy ideas. It was his way of keeping people at a distance while still feeling like he was part of the group.  He was always afraid the minute he slowed down and let someone get close to him that they wouldn't like what they saw.  After all his whole family never accepted him for who he was.  Why would anyone else?


He leaned forward in the chair.  He had been sitting in this chair for the last few hours.  He was sure the cushion had permanent butt impressions.  He opened his eyes to find a pair of emerald green eyes staring up at him.  "Elliot?" he asked in surprise "how long have you been awake?"


"Not long," Elliot smiled "what's wrong?"

Shaking his head "nothing," Kyle mumbled.

"Liar" Elliot shot back at him "tell me please," he entreated.

Taking a deep breath Kyle blurted "I like you."


"Of course you do, we're best friends.  I like you too."  Elliot told him frowning when Kyle looked away.

"No you don't understand," Kyle sighed looking at Elliot "I like like you."

"Oh .... ok," Elliot said grinning up at him "it took you long enough to say it."

"What?  I ... does that mean you like me too?" Kyle leaned closed to Elliot.

Nodding Elliot said "I like like you too."



Unable to contain his happiness Kyle jumped up and bounced on the bed beside Elliot.  Leaning over him their lips almost touching when the door slammed shut behind them.  Jerking upright Kyle looked into the furious eyes of his father.

"I knew I'd find you here," he shouted through clenched teeth "with him."


Standing Kyle turned to face his father.  "You can't control me.  This is my life.  I'll live it the way I choose."  He felt Elliot take his hand as he stood up to his father.

"Over my dead body," Mr Lawrence spat "I forbid it.  You'll marry whom I approve.  You'll do as I say."  He shouted seething like a smoking volcano.  He grabbed Kyle's arm dragging him towards the door.

An orderly walked into the room.   Looking from the bald furious man to Elliot he asked "is everything alright Mr Van Winkle?"


"Call security," Elliot instructed him.  The orderly looked at the furious older man  before turning on his heels and left.

Kyle struggled against his father's grip "your not at home where everyone trembles in fear of you. You can't just snap your fingers and command instant obedience."

Two security guards entered the room followed by Peter "let the boy go," he commanded.


Shaking Kyle "this boy is my son and he's coming home with me." He started towards the door where Peter stood leaning against it.  "Get out of my way."

"Gladly" Peter smiled unfazed by his anger "just as soon as you let Kyle go."

"I will not be bullied into complying with your demands, " Mr Lawrence countered.


"The only bully I see here is you," Peter shot back eyes' narrowed in anger.  "Kyle is an adult and as such can come and go as he pleases."

"Is that so," Mr Lawrence intoned "we'll see about that once his competence hearing starts.  Until then you can keep the wimp."  He straightened his clothes and walked out of the door.

Kyle sank to the floor shaking.   Peter kneeled in front of him "are you ok?"

Nodding his head Kyle wiped his eyes on the back of his hand "I'm fine.  He's never going to give up is he?"

"Doesn't seem to be in his nature," Peter told him.



"Maybe I should ...."

"No," Peter and Elliot said together.


6 comments:

  1. Awwwww Kyle and Elliot are so adorable! They're acting so childish, "i like like you". So precious lol Kyle's dad is a pompous ass, and glad that someone put him in his place. I forgot how bad ass Corina and Doloris were, it's good to see them and Brian in one piece. Hopefully after this, no more hospital visits for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR :) Kyle was being childish but to be fair he isn't used to being honest with his feelings. He wouldn't have said that much if Peter hadn't given him the green light. He's always been under the thumb of his father or the persona he displayed to everyone on SSI. Elliot was humoring him by responding back in the same way. Kyle's dad doesn't give up easily but it is the first time he's run into anyone who didn't tremble in his presence. It was good to bring back Corina, Doloris and Brian. We might see more of them as the generation winds down. I can't promise no more hospital visits but none for a while for the Van Winkles at least.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Kyle and Elliot are so sweet bless them <3 Kyle's father has officially lost it... Like seriously the guys a nut case... And I don't think he'll give up on trying to control his son any time soon! Hopefully things will be easier if Elliot gets out of hospital. Great chapter :)

    ~Kipper123

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR they're so good together. Kyle's father isn't going to give up; although he is going to have to come up with a different strategy. Things will definitely improve once Elliot is out of the hospital.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Man... Kyle's dad is so adamant on taking Kyle with him. What the heck... a competency hearing on Kyle's mental state? Sheesh, Kyle seems perfectly fine to me, his dad seems crazy to think that anyone would look at Kyle and think he was mentally ill... It's so sad, these parents who don't even care about their kids feelings. Thankfully Kyle met Elliot because Elliot's family is way more normal, LOL, at least in the sense of family love. Corina and Doloris really took the cake with their high powered careers, LOL. It looked like Corina and Brian arrived at just the right time, before Kyle's dad came, so Corina could use her lawyer card on him. So perfect. XD I'm glad they transferred Elliot to a different hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle's dad doesn't like to lose. So he's going to prove that Kyle is unstable if he has to pay people to lie. He could care less what Kyle wants as long as it conflicts with what he wants he will do whatever he can to make sure Kyle doesn't get it. Kyle knew Brian from doing Sim Star Idol since Brian was one of the mentors on the show. He didn't know Elliot was his brother though when they met at college.
      While Elliot's family may not be the most normal because strange things tend to happen to them but they are normal when it comes to family love and support.
      It was fun bringing Corina and Doloris back into the story. They can be a force to be reckoned with when they want to be. So Kyle has himself a good lawyer who will do look out for his best interests.
      Kyle's dad didn't leave them much choice but to transfer Elliot to another hospital. They were only wasting time and energy arguing with the idiots who ran the hospital in Isla Paradiso.

      Delete