Saturday, April 11, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 36 - Competance Hearing Part 3


After two days of listening to nothing but lies about Kyle's character and mental stability Percy admitted to himself that what he did by taking the pictures and sending the resulting article to his father was the root cause of this fiasco.  He did this.  This was his fault.  He couldn't believe Kyle's father could be this ruthless towards his own son.  Percy should have known, Kyle always reacted badly whenever his father contacted him on the Sim Star Idol.  He understood why now, his father was intimidating to say the least.  His stomach tightened as he realized he would have to endure Mr. Lawrence's baleful glare from the witness stand.

Percy had tossed and turned most of the night wondering what good his testimony would do.  He hoped his testimony wouldn't cause more harm than good. Upon entering the court room Percy felt small and insignificant as he felt the baleful glance of Kyle's father rake past him.  A hush fell over the room as the judge called the session to order.  There was a slight commotion as some court clerk set up some video conferencing equipment. Briefly Percy wondered why. His curiosity was soon set to rest when Corina introduced her first character witness, Gene Bennett.  Percy looked around expecting to see his old co-contestant from Sim Star Idol.


He soon realized Gene was the one they were conferencing with.  Percy took a sharp intake of breath as shock overwhelmed him.  It was obvious why Gene wasn't in the courtroom in person, he was conferencing from a hospital room.  Percy tried not to see the obvious pain and difficulty Gene had talking if not breathing altogether.  Then there were the tubes connected to machines ... Percy closed his eyes losing track of what Gene was saying in response to Corina's questions.  He couldn't help but wonder what happened to him.

Soon it was the other lawyer's turn and despite Gene's physical state the lawyer laid into him "Mr Bennett have you ever take illegal drugs?"

Gene stared at him motionless "yes but ..."

"A simple yes or no will suffice," the lawyer sneered at him. "Have you ever been treated for alcohol abuse?"

"Yes that's no secret.  What does this have to ...." Gene attempted in vain to ask.

"Again a simple yes or no please Mr. Bennett," the lawyer cut him off.  "You've had your share of mental problems have  you not?  Several suicide attempts, isn't that right?"


"I object," Corina said loudly from beside Kyle "Gene's mental health is not in question here."

"I think it is," the lawyer shot back.  "How can one mental patient be able to adequately know when someone else is lapsing mentally if they're not all there themselves?"

Gene's lips thinned before he said "I suffered from depression not a mental breakdown.  There is a difference.  Besides those instances occurred while I was a teenager trying to cope with the tragic death of my older sister Sydney.  What relevance does that have now?"

"What about the episode at your house when you were taken by ambulance after you collapsed?" The lawyer threw back at him.

Smiling slightly "if you did your own research you would know that collapse was caused by a ruptured appendix.  Not drug or alcohol related as the paparazzi reported out of spite.  I can prove it." Gene stated in a calm firm voice.


"Err..." the lawyers bombastic facade slipped a little while he attempted to recover from this set back. "According to this article in Sim Celebrity you were hospitalized due to drug related side effects and the supposed appendicitis was a cover story."

"Don't you know you can't believe anything written in that the rag?"  Gene scoffed "I can show you my scar if you'd like."  A snicker went through the courtroom.

"That won't be necessary Mr. Bennett," the lawyer declined the offer "besides the scar could be from anything not necessarily from surgery."


Lips thinning again Gene stared at the man "then I suggest you look at the retraction Sim Celebrity wrote after their star reporter was sued for libel and lost after writing the article you just cited or you can interview the doctors who performed my surgery or the paramedics who came to my house.  I strongly suggest you check your information before you state them as fact."

Not willing to give up and admit defeat the lawyer was bent on discrediting Gene anyway he could. "What about your hospital stay in Barnacle Bay?"

Shaking his head Gene exhaled loudly.  Anger flashed from  his deep brown eyes "I was not a patient during the dates you cited.  I was there visiting my father and younger brothers who were patients at the time.  It was in all the papers or do you only read what you want and make up the rest?  What kind of lawyer are you?  Didn't you check your facts?"


A ripple of laughter spread through the jury box until the baleful stare of Mr Lawrence silenced them. He turned his stare on the lawyer next to him and in a low angry voice demanded "do something before he makes you look anymore of a fool than you already do."

Gene watched the exchange between lawyer and Kyle's father mumbled "if looks could kill we'd be seeing one dead lawyer." Several jury members hid smiles behind their hands as they heard Gene's irreverent comment.

The lawyer stared death rays at Gene for a moment while he tried to reign in his anger.  "You spend a lot of time in hospitals Mr. Bennett. Trouble seems to follow you around."  Glancing at a piece of paper he smiled slightly "my notes make reference that you were recently arrested for assault and battery."


"That's a damn lie," a female vice broke in as an older woman came into view cutting off Gene's words "I'm Amelia Vera and this young man saved my life when the assailant Wallace Reginald the third threw a knife at me and Gene stepped in front of me and took the knife instead.  Wallace is now in jail awaiting his court date."  Amelia's eyes narrowed "you really should learn to get your facts straight."  She looked straight at Kyle's father "hello Theodore I see you're still up to your old tricks. My soon to be ex-husband will not be able to donate this year.  I wouldn't count on him to back you up on your smear campaign either.  He's too busy trying to save his own ass right now."  Turning towards the jury "this young man is an excellent judge of character and he's a true hero who selflessly risked his life to save mine."  Patting Gene's shoulder she added "he risked his life again by attempting to leave the hospital to come to the aide of his friend.  He just came out surgery to repair the damage he did to  himself in his haste to help."  Turning to Kyle "I hope you appreciate this, I know Gene is in extreme pain testifying in your behalf but it was the only way we could get him to stay in bed, he was that upset with the lies he's been reading about you."  Addressing the whole courtroom Amelia continued "That's a mark of a true loyal friend.  I'm sure Kyle would do the same for Gene if given the chance.  It is not however something Theodore Lawrence would do; otherwise he would not be in the process of shredding his son to bits."

"I object," the lawyer shouted angrily towards the judge
.
"I will allow it," the judge commented evenly "you were after all trying to discredit this young man's credibility as a character witness.  Mrs Vera did an admirable job of rebutting it."


The next witness was Aimee Vera.  Percy wasn't surprised that she too was on video conference.  It made sense that she would be wherever Gene was.  She clung to Gene's hand like he was her life preserver.  Percy was shocked to find out she had been engaged to Wallace Reginald until the night Gene almost died.  He thought that nothing could break them apart but he had been wrong and in the back of his mind he wondered if this was the result of what he had done.

Percy sat in the court room overwhelmed with guilt in the part he played in Gene and Aimee's tragedy.  He had liked Aimee and felt sorry for her.  Gene was good for her.  Gene's protectiveness was the shield Aimee needed to stand up to her parents.  They could have been good friends if he hadn't ruined it.  Sighing Percy knew he was next as the lawyer finished questioning Aimee.  Percy jumped when Corina called his name.  Stiffly he stood up and walked towards the stand.  He felt all eyes on him as he traversed the short distance to the witness stand.  He felt like a condemned man waiting to be hung.  Swallowing over the lump in his throat he swore he would tell the truth.


Corina stood in front of him he was surprised by her first question. "As my esteemed colleague will no doubt bring up with great relish, why were you arrested?"

"Drug possession," Percy mumbled.

"Were you taking drugs?" Corina asked.

"No I was holding them for a friend," Percy mumbled wishing he was anywhere but here.  "The cops received an anonymous tip and I was arrested."

"So you know what it feels like to be betrayed by a friend," Corina stated.


"Yes," he replied refusing to look at Kyle who he felt watching him intently.  "What does this have to do with Kyle?" he asked.

"I'm providing the jury a picture of who you are," Corina told him "we all watched Sim Star Idol.  We all remember the lies you told to get onto the show.  The lies you told as to why you were a mole fixing the elimination results.  We all heard you say it was for revenge against a friend you thought betrayed you. Was that that the only reason?"

"No" he all but shouted at  her.

"Oh" Corina said innocently "then why?"


"For my ... my mother," Percy looked away and across at Kyle "I lied about who I was so that I wouldn't be associated with who my parents are.  I went to live with my grandmother in Sunset Valley.  My mother would visit occasionally telling me stories about the forest she played in as a child in Hidden Springs.  I wanted to save that forest for her.  It was going to be destroyed so that another worthless mall could be built so that my father could make even more money."

"Why was saving that particular forest so important?" Corina asked softly.

Wiping his eyes Percy hung his head "my mother had cancer.  I couldn't be there for her because of my father.  I wanted her to know I loved her.  That was my gift to her so she could die knowing her forest was safe.  She died shortly after the episode aired where I receive all the signatures required to save her forest."


"Why the lies?" Corina asked

Shrugging "I didn't want sympathy not after what I did."

"You feel responsible for your actions then." Corina stated.

Nodding "yes I hurt my friends and I'm sorry," Percy looked across at Kyle "I'd do things differently now if I could."


The other lawyer pounced on those words "what would you do differently? Not send the articles to Kyle and Elliot's parents? Maybe not have been the photographer responsible for taking the pictures in the first place?"



Kyle gasped out loud shocked and enraged.  Corina's hand on his shoulder the only thing restraining him from launching himself at Percy.

"I didn't think it would cause this much trouble.  Who really cares in this day and age whether their kids are gay or not?  I didn't think it would be a case of mental health.  There's nothing wrong with Kyle but there's plenty wrong with his father."  Several of the juror's snickered and nodded at his comment.


"You claim your sorry for betraying your friends on Sim Star Idol yet your actions prove you're a liar. Not only were you responsible for the pictures of Kyle but you also took the pictures of Gene Bennett kissing a young woman last year outside Barnacle Bay Hospital.  This no doubt helped to break up their relationship pushing Miss Vera into the diabolical hands of Wallace Reginald who mentally and physically abused her.  Who came within inches of taking the life of your one time friend Gene Bennett.  Yet you want us to believe that your sorry.  That you're telling us the truth."  Looking at the young man squirming in the witness stand he threw him the final blow "and yet you can't even tell us your real name.  It's not Percy Wilde is it?  It's none other than Percy Wilson the son of the entrepreneur Percival Wilson of Wilson Enterprises.  You have quite the reputation for being a backstabbing liar Mr Wilde I mean Mr Wilson.  Why exactly should we believe you now?"

"Because I'm not lying despite the fact that Mr Lawrence offered me money to lie and back him up," Percy shot back.  Turning to the judge "I have it on video.  It's on my phone if you want to see it.  Mr Lawrence thought I would want to keep my past a secret but I'm tired of the lies and deceit."


"This is preposterous," Mr Lawrence sneered at Percy.  "Utter fabrication from a desperate man who needs money to pay off gambling debts."

"How would you know?" Percy asked "unless you've been talking to my father.  I've never gambled a day in my life."

"Then why do you have loan sharks after you for money?" the lawyer shot back.

"Because my good for nothing father and his equally good for nothing friend Mr Lawrence have been gambling in my name.  They've lost thousands of of dollars in my name.  I have proof my identity has been stolen.  I just hadn't realized it was my my own father until recently.  I've had to change my name to keep the loan sharks from finding me and I had to put distance between me and my fathers dealings. It didn't work they still found me.  Gave me a beating within an inch of my life.  Pay up or else.  I was scared and I had no one I could turn to.  I took the first job that paid enough to keep them from killing me." Turning to Kyle "I never wanted to hurt anyone.  I ... I had no choice."


"Enough," the judge cut into the bedlam the courtroom had devolved into.  Turning to Percy "I want to see the video you claim to have."  Nodding Percy handed him his phone.  While the judge viewed the video the courtroom fell into an uneasy silence.  "I'm calling a recess until tomorrow morning. I'm going to have this video analyzed to make sure it's authentic. Once it's been verified I'll rule to dismiss this case."


Mr. Lawrence stood in one fluent motion and stalked over to Percy.  Staring down at the boy he growled "you'll regret this." He turned his back and walked out of the courtroom. 


Percy swallowed knowing it wasn't an idle threat.  Kyle walked over to him, blue eyes flashing with a mixture of anger and curiosity.  "Our father's know each other?" he asked coming along side Percy.

"Yeah they're old college buddies," Percy murmured.

"Then why haven't we ever met before?" Kyle wondered aloud.

Shrugging Percy said "maybe because I chose to live with my grandmother.  I couldn't take living under my father's iron thumb and she was my out."  Hanging his head "I really am sorry.  I never meant to ruin any one's lives.  I'm a walking disaster."


Elliot approached the two "Percy this is my dad, Peter."

Percy looked up into the sincere blue eyes of Peter Van Winkle, "nice to meet you sir."

Peter shook hands with the young man "Percy you've caused considerable amount of trouble but you also seem to have brought the one piece of evidence we needed to shut Mr Lawrence down.  With that video evidence it will allow Kyle and Elliot to move on with their lives and we can put these last few weeks behind us.  For that I'm thankful."

"I don't understand," Percy said looking confused "I'm the one who started all of this.  You don't have to thank me.  I don't deserve it."


Peter smiled "it's time you cut yourself a break and accept a helping hand.  If  you'll let me I can help you get control of your life and you identity back."

Looking into Peter's eye's he felt confident that he could help him get his life back.  Percy glanced over at Brian who was standing behind Peter.  "I should have listened to you more when we were on Sim Star Idol.  I thought I was so sure that anyone from money were all time jerks and there was nothing I could learn from them."

Brian smiled at "then let him help." 


Shaking his head Percy sighed "Brian I ... I lied when I said I gave you all my equipment.  I thought I needed to get pictures of you and your family to pay off the loan sharks.  I ..."  he hung his head regretting his actions and what he was about to confess "everything is on my phone .... I ...." He looked up "I couldn't bring myself to send them.  But what am I going to do?  I already took an advance on it to get the sharks off my back.  I can't pay it back ... I ....." A look of fear flashed across his face as he looked up and saw one of the men that always came to collect staring at him from across the courtroom.

Peter glanced over in time to see a flash of a smile from a young man who looked somewhat familiar. He was positive he had seen him before or was it just the blue hair under the man's hat that was causing him to think he was someone he knew?  Shaking his head he turned back to Percy "I'll give you the money to get the sharks off your back and to pay back your employers on one condition."

"What's the condition?" Percy asked feeling like he would do anything to get out of this mess.

"Actually it's two conditions you quit moonlighting as a paparazzi and you sue your father for identity theft." Peter told him.

Smiling in relief Percy felt a weight lift from his shoulders "gladly."



4 comments:

  1. My baby Percy :'( You turned him into a good guy after I tortured him on Sim Star, thank you! I feel like there will never, not be a twist in Percy's life. He's got a screwed up father :/ He, Aimee and Kyle seem to be going through similar things, so they should be best friends haha. Anyway, wonder who the blue haired guy is? Just screams Emit to me ;) Good chapter, I enjoyed the twists and turns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw Percy as a bad guy more like someone in a situation beyond his control who felt he had no way out. I always planned to give Percy redemption. Their parents run in the same circles and have business dealings, so it's not surprising that they'd be miserable human beings lol. The last chapter of SSI provided a lot of background I needed to round out Percy as a character thanks :)
      The blue haired guy ..... hmm since he was one of the loan sharks that would extort money from Percy and beat him up if he couldn't pay I doubt it's Emit. But there is another blue haired individual that is out to get the Van Winkles that goes by the name of Chase .... Stay tuned for the next chapter because there's trouble brewing.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Aww, Percy. He learned from his many mistakes. I love that he gave the judge the key piece of evidence. Even though yes, he did start all of this, the fact that he also ended it speaks volumes. I hope one day Percy will learn to love himself and just focus on the future, put all his bad stuff behind him, start fresh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Percy was always a good guy on the inside but he really did feel caught in circumstances he couldn't get out of. Now that he has someone willing to help him he'll have a better chance of making real progress in his life and putting all this behind him.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete