Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 37 - It's Time Part 1


Kyle grabbed Percy by the arm and pulled him away from the group. "Why didn't you ask for help?"

"I told you ... I didn't want sympathy," Percy muttered distracted by the commotion as Peter and Brian rushed from the courtroom.  "Hey what's up?"

"What?" Kyle repeated unsure what Percy was referring to.

Motioning for Elliot to come over Percy asked "where did your dad and Brian rush off too?"

Sighing Elliot mumbled "he received a call from Shannon regarding an intruder. He and dad left to check it out."


Running his hands through his hair Percy moaned "I didn't think. I'm such an idiot. Everything I touch becomes a disaster." Approaching Corina "we've got to get to Brian's. I saw one of the loan sharks in the courtroom and I think he might be the intruder."

"I've got to stay here," Corina said biting her lip. Reaching for her purse she handed Percy her car keys "take my car and be careful."

He snatched the keys and ran from the courthouse. He didn't notice Elliot and Kyle following behind him. They piled into Corina's car as Percy threw it into gear and sped from the parking lot. Percy hoped he was overreacting but he feared he wasn't. The blue haired man was insistent in the assignments he took and Percy knew he had a hand in how the stories were spun.  He didn't know why the blue haired man wanted to hurt the Van Winkles but his intentions were malicious.

Looking into the rear view mirror he groaned "where's a cop when you need one?" He looked at Elliot "call 911 and have the cops check things out at your brother's place."

Doing as instructed Elliot stared at his phone a moment "they said the police were already on their way."


"I really don't like the sound of that," Percy stomped his foot down on the gas pedal causing the car to lurch ahead. Racing down the hill towards Brian's house they could see a police car with lights flashing parked in front of the house. Slamming the car into park Percy ran toward the house, dreading what he would find.

"Halt! Don't move," a gruff voice commanded from behind them. Stopping in his tracks Percy raised his hands. "What are you boys doing here?" the officer asked gun pointed at them.

"This is my brothers house," Elliot explained "we think he might be in trouble."

"You call 911 kid?" the officer asked relaxing a bit.

"Yeah but I was told the cops were already on their way," Elliot replied.

Smiling the officer closed the distance between them "they just might be but you'll be long gone before they get here." Motioning with his gun he had the three boys walk in front of him towards the fake patrol car.


"What did you do to my brother?" Elliot asked attempting to turn around.

"Don't worry kid," the impostor said "he's more comfortable than you're going to be." Coming up to the car "you" he pointed towards Percy "open the trunk. See that box? Open it and handcuff your two friends together. Hands behind their backs." Under the watchful eye of the man and the unwavering gun Percy had little choice but to do as instructed. "Now get in the trunk." Percy did as he was told "lie face down. Hands behind you." A commotion above him had Percy struggling to his knees. A harsh blow to the head knocked him flat. His last sensation he had was having his hands jerked painfully behind him and secured to something on the interior of the trunk lid.  

After securing Percy inside the trunk the impostor went after the fleeing boys.  He quickly caught up to them "we don't have time for this," he snarled as he marched them back to the car. "Now get in," he demanded as he opened the backdoor. "you first" he told Elliot.  Kneeling Elliot crawled in almost falling on his face.  Kyle fell on top of him unable to stop himself without the use of his hands.  "Lie flat.  We wouldn't want anyone to see you now would we." He chuckled a little at his own bad joke. The man yanked on one of Elliot's leg to secure his ankle to a chain leading into the trunk. "Now you won't be going anywhere."

"Who are you? Where are you taking us?" Kyle asked hoping to stall the man in the vain hope the police might arrive.


Laughing at the questions the man got into the car tossing his hat onto the passenger seat. His blue hair evident in the light. He smiled back at his hostages "I'm Chase Mars and you really don't want to know where you're going."

***


Several hours later Emit was reviving Peter in Brian's house. "Where...What happened?" Peter asked groggily.

"I'm sorry old friend," Emit said helping Peter to sit up "I failed to see what Chase was up to before it was too late. This trial was an elaborate trap to get you out into the open. I think Chase intended to kidnap Adam and his family but because of Adam's relationship with the Bennett's Chase couldn't isolate them."

"Brian?" Peter asked groggily looking around.

"I'm here dad," Brian pushed himself into a sitting position. Leaning his head back he groaned "my wife ... kids ... where?"

"They're fine," Emit reassured him "knocked out from the gas but fine."



"Good ... that's good," Brian sighed in relief closing his eyes. "What's going on?"

Looking at him, Emit contemplated his words before asking "do you know who I am?"

Nodding "yeah you're the time keeper. I met you once in the future when dad was sick."

"That's right," Emit smiled remembering the young teenager "what you don't know is I'm a descendant of your dad's through Adam." He went on to explain how it was vital to keep the timeline intact to save the future and the people who want to prevent him from doing that. The watchers. His brother Logan. His son Chase.


Brian stared at him in consternation "this is unbelievable. Dad is this guy for real?" He turned to his dad who was nodding at him. His heart dropped wondering what new calamity was about to engulf his family. Looking around the room Brian asked with dawning realization "where's Elliot? Kyle? Percy?" He looked at Emit who glanced away refusing to meet his eyes. "They're gone aren't they?" Struggling to his feet Brian faced Emit "they wouldn't have been far behind me." Hanging his head "the call I received was meant to lure them here wasn't it?"

"Yes I'm sorry," Emit said "Chase has been using Percy to get to your family. He's the one extorting money and threatening Percy. Elliot was vulnerable. An easy target." Turning to Peter "I should have known Chase would do something to get to you. He knows how vulnerable you are when it comes to your children."

"I need to find my son," Peter said his voice muffled behind his hands.

"No you can't," Emit protested "that's exactly what Chase wants.  He wants to distract you from releasing the alien cure in the future."


Lifting his head Peter responded angrily "I can't. Not until I know my son is safe." Peter staggered to his feet grief marring his features. Brian reached out to support his father as he stumbled.

"You must. It's been delayed too long. It must be now or it won't work," Emit reasoned.

"I don't care," Peter mumbled "why is he doing this?" Peter asked his old friend "I thought the watchers want the aliens stopped as much as we do."

"I thought so too," Emit admitted "but their hatred of me. Me standing in their way and the image of the future they want to create has clouded their judgement. They seem to have accepted a future with aliens in it. I've done the calculations. Seen the future. It's not a place either of us want our children to grow up in."

"Why don't you do it?" Brian asked "leave my father alone. Can't you see he's devastated over this?"


"I would if I could but only your father has the knowledge to do it. He has the alien knowledge to do it. It has to be him." Emit said looking straight at Peter hoping his words would penetrate his grief and motivate him to act.

"Dad is this true?" Brian asked staring at him.

Nodding Peter felt shaky sitting there engulfed in memories when Elliot had been kidnapped years before. The pain and helplessness he had felt. It was ten times worse now knowing that this time he couldn't do anything to find his son. He had to go to the future. Responding to Brian's question "yes as much as I want to be the one to search and find Elliot I have to go to the future. Release the alien cure." Looking up" Emit's right it's been delayed too long. Adam's work has been done for months now. But with this trial I haven't wanted to leave until it was done. The familiar looking blue haired man in the courtroom today was Chase wasn't it?"

"Yes," Emit confirmed quietly "he refuses to believe anything I've told him about Logan.  His hatred of me has blinded him of the truth. I can't get through to him." He hung his head in defeat.


Reaching out Peter squeezed his shoulder "don't give up hope. He could change."

"He might given the opportunity and time.  Unfortunately we don't have the luxury to wait," Emit said lack of hope evident in his voice. "The future depends upon finding those kids before it's too late. I can't afford to have feelings. I need to find Chase and prevent him from endangering the future."

Shocked Peter looked deep into Emit's eyes sensing the depth of Emit's conviction. He had no doubt Emit would do whatever it took to stop Chase to save the future even if it meant sacrificing his own son in the process. "I'm sorry."

"So am I," Emit mumbled. Shaking his head he visibly shook himself to clear his head. "You need to go and collect William and his son and take them with you to the future. I'll go to Adam and together we'll look for Elliot and the others."

"What about me?" Brian asked "I'm coming too."

Peter turned to his son "no Brian your place is here. Shannon and the kids need you."

"But I ..." Brian began to protest before realizing his father was right. He couldn't leave his dying wife to cope with five young children by herself. "I'm sorry ...."


"Don't be son," Peter hugged him tight "we all have our roles to play.  Yours is here. It's no less important then anyone else's."

"I know .... I love you," Brian squeezed his father tight. Turning to Emit he gruffly said "bring my brother home safe."

"If I can I will," Emit told him.

"That's not very confidence inspiring," Brian muttered.

"I can't do better than to promise to do my best," Emit told him "the future is changing and while it's in flux I'm just as blind as you."

"We better get going," Peter interrupted "you have three boys to find. Brian you have your family to care for and I have the future of two worlds to save."





4 comments:

  1. Poor Percy can't catch a break. I wonder where Chase took them o_O So many possibilities. Is Emit seriously willing to do anything to save the future? You know that saying, the end doesn't justify the means... Emit is going to get someone in a lot of trouble. I hope everything works out in the end though. Save the boys Emit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR it's a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hmm we'll find out as the story goes. There's three more parts to this chapter so we'll see if Emit and Adam are able to find them. There are so many worlds and realities Chase could have taken them. Emit feels like he's between a rock and hard place. He wants to save the future and his son. He's feeling he may not be able to do both. Will he sacrifice his son to save the future? We'll see if it comes down to that or not. I have the 2nd part half written already. I'm hoping to wrap this gen up at the same time as NSOL so that I can start Gen 3 for both stories together.

      Delete
  2. Yikes, I hope Peter can put that cure into motion, and Emit can find the boys. Chase is so delusional, sheesh... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot going on in the next few chapters. Chase is delusional but he's also being misled by a very convincing liar. Will he see the truth before someone gets hurt?
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete