Wednesday, September 30, 2015

3.15 Together Again


Opening his eyes Heath looked around the cave. His mind a mess of chaotic memories and emotions. Flashes of the the past bombarded him. Seeing his dad fall from the hospital window. The feeling as he felt his life being drained from him. The lifeless body he resided in. Moaning out loud he saw his mom look over at him. Saw the concern in her eyes before  he shifted his gaze not wanting to see the monster that killed him.

"Heath are you alright?" he heard her ask. Closing his eyes he tried to blot out what he ha become. He was nothing more then a man sized doll. Was he even alive? In a low voice he said "I want to go home. I want my dad."

"I'll get you home sweetheart," Beverly soothed taking him into her arms "I promise I'll find a way to get you back to normal."

He leaned his head on her shoulder listening to her heart beat. "I want my dad," he mumbled again. Even as he said it he wondered if his dad was alive and if he wasn't what was going to become of him? Refusing to even think about his relationship with Don. Heath couldn't see how he could ever be a husband and father in his current condition. It just wasn't possible, was it?

***

Don stared at Adam as he stepped through the time bubble. Fear etched across his face as he held his daughter. "Who are you?" he demanded.


"I know this is confusing. Believe me I understand," Adam said not attempting to approach them. "This was the only way we could think of to get Silver to take us to Kimberly."

"You couldn't just tell me?" Don asked siting down overwhelmed by the events "don't you trust me?"

Sitting across from him Adam nodded "we trusted you. Silver had to be convinced that he was manipulating/controlling Ambrogio. I...."

He stopped speaking Don looked up shocked to find Adm crying. Tears streamed from his eyes reminding him of Heath and how sensitive he was. "Adam are you alright?"

"I don't know," he replied through tears "it's been a rough week. If I had known how difficult being ousted from my body would be I might have tried harder to find another way. It was the only viable option we had. We needed to trick Silver into taking us to Kimberly."


Hearing her name the little girl looked up and smiled "thank you grandpa for saving me. I didn't like that place." Turning to Don "it's ok daddy. Grandpa is good. So is Ambrogio. Silver was bad." 

Turning her gaze to Adam "is Silver gone now? Gone forever?"

"I hope so sweetheart.  I certainly hope so," Adam told her. Standing Adam picked up the little girl "how do you know so much?"

Shrugging "I don't know. I just do." She giggled as she kissed his cheek. For that moment she acted like the little girl she looked like.

***

"Ambrogio," Adam called "should we be concerned?"

Deep in thought Ambrogio turned his question over in his mind. "I don't know. I wish we knew what Silver may or may not have done to her." 


Adam looked towards the sleeping little girl curled up next to Don. "She looks so peaceful.  hate the thought that Silver may have done something to her that we can't detect."

"Adam," Ambrogio started to say then stopped unsure whether to voice his concern. "He may have enhanced her."Enhanced? What do you mean?" Adam asked his dismay growing.

"Modified her in some way. She comes from a family of geniuses doesn't she? Her natural ability to know things....."

"Knowing things she shouldn't like her name," Adam muttered "that's not a normal ability."

"I know" Ambrogio admitted feeling Adam's anxiety rising "it might be the combination of IF and creator genes in her. Silver wanted, manipulated things to get them together. He wanted their particular genes to mix..."


"Why?" came Adam's anguished question "will she become like Silver? Evil? Is that her destiny? What about Don's unborn child?"

"Adam calm down," Ambrogio advised "your jumping to conclusions. We don't know what Silver did. He may not have done anything. He spent most of his time chasing us or getting me to get Don to come to him. It may be a product of having been born in the time bubble."

"Is there anyway of finding out?" Adam asked wishing his dad or even Emit were there to help them. Together he was sure they'd be able to figure out what happened if anything did.

***

Heath huddled in the cave waiting for Beverly to come back. What was taking her so long? Had she been caught? Had Alessandro turned her again? Holding his head he moaned knowing he couldn't ive through that again. A noise from the front l the cave alerted him to the possibility of danger. He crept further into the cave scarcely breathing.

"Heath?" Beverly called out into the darkness of the cave "Heath it's ok you can come out now." She spoke to him like she would a frightened animal. Smiling when he finally emerged. She hid her dismay that he was still in toy form. Was this permanent? If so she had no one to blame but herself. "I figured out where we are," she told him. His doll like eyes followed her every move. "I know how to get out of Moonlight Falls," she watched as her words sank in. He slowly nodded as a single tear dropped "Heath what aren't you telling me?"


Shaking his head he mumbled "dad's dead." He heard her sharp intake of breath "I...I saw him fall from the window. Alessandro's men pushed him. I saw it. He couldn't have survived."

"You're wrong," she told him "I would know if  he were dead. I'd feel it." Gripping his shoulders feeling the pliable stuffing move beneath his grasp she shook him "he's not dead. He can't be."

"Do you think so?" he asked his voice small and afraid.

"I know so," she spoke with conviction. She couldn't afford to believe Adam was dead. Coming to a sudden decision "we leave today. As soon as it's light out."

"Wh...what about werewolves?" Heath stammered.


"Better them then vampires," she told him "we'll have to be careful." Leading him to the far cave wall she urged him to get some sleep. "You need all the energy you can get."

Nodding Heath did as she requested lacking the desire to fight. He wanted to sleep and never wake up  until this nightmare was over.

***

When the sun went down Adam shook Don awake "come on son we need to get going."

"Going where?" he asked shocked by his surroundings and by the little girl clinging to him. Then it all came back to him and moaning he got up and stretched.

"Daddy I'm hungry," she tugged on his pants leg.


"Give daddy a moment and I'll get you something to eat," Don told her watching as she crossed her arms pouting.

"I'm hungry now," she complained loudly.

"I know sweetie but I have to ..." he was interrupted when Adam swooped in and swung Kimberly up into the air. Her squeals of laughter filling the air around them. It gave Don the reprieve he needed to prepare something for them to eat. "Thank you" he mumbled as they prepared to leave.

"No problem. I learned when Heath was little it was better to distract him then to try to reason with him. It didn't always work," he grinned "she's a lot like Heath was at that age."

"What age is that exactly?" Don asked.


"I'd say about four years old," Adam watched the girl run around inspecting them. "Don't worry Don you'll get the hang of parenting. Unfortunately you've been robbed the joy of watching her grow but you do have the rest of her life to catch up."

"Come on daddy let's go," she called running ahead of them.

"She's so full of energy," Don said with dismay.

"Don you're all of twenty years old. You have plenty of energy yourself," Adam shook his head at him "but I guess you do have an excuse. Pregnancy depletes you energy." Something nagged him in the back of his mind and he knew something was quite right. He didn't feel quite right. He should be more energized then he felt. Dismissing it as fatigue from not feeding regularly on plasma fruit.

Stopping where she stood Kimberly looked at Don "daddy you're pregnant?"


"Yes sweetie I am," Don hesitated not entirely comfortable with the look she gave him. 

"Do you love the baby more than me?" she demanded to know.

Don knelt in front of her looking into her blue eyes so much like Heath's saying "no darling I love you both the same."

"Are you sure?" she asked him her expression unreadable.

 "I'm positive," Don assured her despite his growing doubts.


"Okay the baby can stay," she smiled sweetly up at him as she reached for his hand.

Don looked down at her then across at Adam who shook his head. If it weren't for her uncanny ability to sense things Don wouldn't be so worried. Did Silver do something to his little girl? Was something wrong with her? He couldn't stop the questions, the concern he had for his unborn child. What had she meant by the baby can stay? If it weren't for Silver and what he might have done her pronouncement would have been funny. Now it was just ominous. To distract himself Don asked "where are we going?"

"Bridgeport," Adam told him sounding distracted.

"Why not Dragon Valley?" Don asked confused.

"Ambrogio needs to talk to Alanon," Adam explained "we need to figure out how to separate him from me. If there's a way Alanon will know."

***


It was late when the incessant pounding on the door woke the occupants up. Stumbling down the stairs Percy and Alanon stood dumbstruck at the sight of Adam standing in front of them. "Adam is that you?" Percy managed to ask wanting to believe but to emotional to trust what was in front of his eyes.

Sensing Percy's distress Adam pulled him into a hug "yeah it's me. I'm sorry I left the way I did but it was vital I go. You were dying. You couldn't have lasted through the night."

"I'm sorry I let you down," he mumbled. 

Squeezing his shoulder "you didn't let me down. You kept me alive wen I needed to be outside my body. I'll always be grateful to you for that. My regret is the pain it caused you." Percy blushed ducking his head in acknowledgement. Turning to Alanon "do you still have the potion?" Adam asked."

"Yes," he affirmed "but why? If your back inside your body you don't need it."


"It's not for me it's for Ambrogio,"

"Ambrogio? is he in there with you?" Alanon almost choked on his words "why I don't understand. I thought he was working with Silver."

"No I'm sorry we had to lie to you. We didn't want Silver to know what we were planning." Adam went on to tel everyone what he and Ambrogio had come up with to trick Silver into taking them to where he had Kimberly.

"It was a brilliant plan," Alanon said when Adam finished "risky but brilliant." He eyed the girl sitting silently on Don's lap before getting up and going to his alchemy table. Coming back with a mixture he held it out to the girl "will you drink this"

Staring up at him with her blue eyes wide she nodded. Whatever the mixture or taste she drank it without complaint. Handing the vial back to him she sank back onto Don's shoulder falling asleep. Looking down at her Don asked "what did you do to her?"


"Nothing really," Alanon reassured him "a test really. If she had been morally corrupted by Silver she would have refused to drink. Since she drank without complaint or fear I'm fairly sure Silver didn't have time to alter her moral code. She's not evil nor is she likely to become evil."

"That's a relief," Don let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding.

Considering Alanon's little test Adam asked "not that I doubt you but why does she know so much? It's almost like she's clairvoyant or something."

Rubbing his chin Alanon frowned "it could be a side effect of having been in the time bubble. She lived there. Developed there. She's more a product of that universe then ours. I wouldn't be overly concerned. The effects of the bubble universe should diminish overtime as she becomes acclimatized to this universe. Keep on eye on her but I don't think they're should be any lasting effects."

"Alright," Adam agreed reluctantly. Something still didn't feel right. He hoped he was wrong and Alanon was right.

***


"It's just a little bit further," Beverly encouraged Heath to continue.

"What is?" Heath asked unable to lift his head. He was so exhausted. How could a doll be tired? What was wrong with him?"

"The portal to Bridgeport," Beverly told him.

"We can't use the portal. Alessandro must have it guarded" Heath protested.

"I thought of that," Beverly conceded "I spent a lot of time watching it. I haven't seen any activity near it. I think it's ok."


Nodding Heath said "you'll  have to help me."

Nearing the portal Beverly thought they were almost home free until a deep voice startled them "Holt."

Heath yelped in dismay us Beverly lost her grip on him and he fell to the ground. "Oh no," Beverly whispered recognizing the young werewolf that had been one of the guards in the dungeon. His eyes narrowed no doubt recognizing her. Turning to look both ways he waved her forward "Hurry."

Scooping up Heath she dragged him forward. Eyes wide with fear she asked "why are you helping us?"

"Not all of us agree with Alessandro," he told her "Quick before my father comes back." He activated the portal pushing them through. "Son what have you done?" Beverly heard before she reappeared on the outskirts of Bridgeport.

***


Everyone retired to bed except for Adam and Alanon. Hesitantly Alanon approached Adam "can I...talk to Ambrogio?"

After a moment Adam nodded "I'll give him temporary control."

"Thank you," Alanon acknowledged waiting a few minutes for the switch to be made "Ambrogio?"

"I'm here," sounding wary.

"I need...I" Alanon stopped looking away "I still feel the same...I need to know if there's any hope..."


"That I feel the same?" Ambrogio asked "I don't know.  How can I? I don't even have a body?" 

Sighing he got up and paced restlessly around the room "I can't stay in Adam's body forever."

"Would you give me a chance if you were in your own body?" Alanon pressed.

"How can that be? It's gone by now and I won't take over another.. Adam promised me that once we spoke he'd let my essence to. Please let me go," Ambrogio pleaded.

"I can't not when I have what you need," Alanon came up behind him wrapping his arms around him. "Please listen to me. Don't push me away until you've heard what I have to say."

Nodding Ambrogio said "you have my undivided attention."


Taking his hand Alanon led him to the couch. "Your body isn't gone. I preserved it in the hopes that one day you'd return."

"You what?" Ambrogio said looking into his best friends face "but how? I didn't think it'd be possible..."

"Alessandro entrusted your remains to me. No doubt thinking it's be a suitable punishment. I was able to repair the damage Alessandro did. All I lacked was you. With the potion I can reunite you with your body."

Overcome with joy and excitement Ambrogio hugged Alanon tight. Pulling apart he mumbled "I'm so happy I could kiss you."

"Then why don't you?" Alanon said staring steadily into his eyes. Taking the opportunity himself to capture his lip with his own.


After a few minutes Ambrogio pulled away as Adam protested in his head "ok ok that's quite enough. I think my body has seen enough man on man action." Chuckling a little Ambrogio blushed looking into Alanon's eyes. "Yes my answer's yes. I'll give you a chance."

Overcome with need and desire Alanon pulled Ambrogio close capturing his lips in a passionate kiss. Ignoring Adam's complaints Ambrogio let himself return the kiss feeling his reserves and walls melt start to melt. If he had only let himself return Alanon's feelings all those years ago. He could have avoided so much pain.

"But you wouldn't have had your son," Adam broke into his thoughts "I wouldn't exist. Things happen for a reason."

"I know but don't you ever wonder how things would have been like if you made the other choice? Took the road not taken?" Ambrogio asked knowing Adam would need to take control of his body soon.


"All of the time," Adam told him "but then I remember all the things I love about this life. As it is and it gives me a feeling of coming home."

Home Ambrogio thought. is that what he was feeling? Was this feeling of contentment, home? 
Looking into Alanson's eyes he smiled yes definitely home at last.

***

Helping Heath from the portal she half dragged and half carried him a mile or two away from the portal to be on the safe side. Leaving Heath resting Beverly made her way into Bridgeport found a public telephone booth and called Adam. She almost hung up thinking that maybe Heath was right and he was dead. After several rings she heard him pick up "Hello?" she heard.

"Adam," she all but cried his name.


"Beverly I.." his voice became rough and broken "where are you?" he managed to ask.

"Bridgeport," she told him explaining how she had left Heath "he needs help..."

"What's wrong with him?" Adam asked his tone urgent.

"I...I'm sorry," she cried "he's in toy form. It's my fault. I'm so desperately sorry..."

"I'm coming to get you," Adam cut her off "where are you?"

***


After getting the name of the grocery store she was at Adam turned to Alanon. "I need to go."

Shaking his head Alanon grabbed his arm "It could be a trap," he argued.

Shrugging him off "I don't care. She's my wife. I have to go to her."

"Then I'm coming with you," Alanon grabbed the car keys not waiting for an answer.

Pulling  into the parking lot Adam jumped out before Alanon had come to a complete stop. Running up to Beverly he wrapped his arms around her. "Beverly I didn't think I'd ever see you again." He kissed her long and passionately.


Beverly tried to pull away and when she managed it she saw the hurt in his glowing eyes "I'm sorry Adam but I...I did something terrible. You're going to hate me for it." Before she could think twice the horror of what she had done came pouring out from her. She watched the blood drain from his face. Watched the pain etch it's way through the plains of his face.

"You did what?" he cried squeezing her arms fiercely. Seeing her wince in pain he released her.

"Adam I'm sorry. I was under Alessandro's control," she cried "I know it's not an excuse but I didn't know what I was doing."

"Where is my son?" Adam asked focusing on the fact his son was alive. He'd deal with Beverly later. He couldn't deal with both. Grabbing her arm he ran back to the car where Alanon waited. "Where is my son?" he repeated. 

Stuttering Beverly managed to direct them to where Heath was. Crying in the backseat it was every bit as bad as she thought it would be. She knew Adam hated her for what she had done. There was not way to fix it. She watched as Alanon and Adam both ran from the car. She remained behind frozen in fear and dread.

***


Adam stopped at the sight of his son. He wasn't prepared to see him like this. So weak, so frail, a man sized doll. Walking close he dropped to his knees beside him "Heath is that you?"

Blinking his doll eyes he murmured "daddy is that you?"

"Yes baby it's me," he pulled him close picking him up.

"Am I dead?" he asked "I saw them push you from the window."

"No baby you're not dead and neither am I," Adam turned to find Alanon staring at them. "Can you help him?" he asked his question more a plea then a request.

"I don't know. I'll try." Alanon told him "let's get him back to the house."





7 comments:

  1. Well, at least the family's reunited. By the way, will we see any of Irissa in this gen? She was adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've come a long way and soon they'll go home and have some happy moments before we start to gear up for the next gen to take over. We may see Irissa along with a few other Van Winkle extra's once the family returns to Dragon Valley. First I have to wrap up Alessandro, which will be soon. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Finally all caught up, and I have to say... You really put your characters through the ringer (I think that's the right expression). You and Legendofsim's stories are so complex! And you can never really tell right off the bat who is good and who isn't. Y'all are making my paranoid. ;-)

    Anyway! The whole Beverly situation really sucks! That's something that she's going to have to live with for the rest of her life... I just hope that Adam and Heath can forgive her, and help her forgive herself.

    You honestly scared me when Beverly drained Heath. I was worried that he'd actually died. There was a big part of me that knew he couldn't be dead though... there is so much story left for him (most likely), I just had no idea how you were going to do it.

    I can't wait to see what happens next! I am a bit sad though, because now I'm all caught up on all of your stories except for BMBTL, which once I finish that one, that means I'll have to wait for updates... :-(

    Oh well. It's certainly worth it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do put my characters through the ringer but I strive to give them a somewhat happy ending after a while. How boring would it be if you knew right away who the bad guy is? I do love twisting things up a bit. I'm a fan of Legendofsim's stories and am flattered to be in the same league as her. I get so many ideas from reading AGW. She's an awesome writer.

      I felt bad for putting Beverly through that and if you've read the next chapter already you know how that all turned out for her. Adam just needs time to sort through his feelings and realize that his anger is being directed at the wrong person.

      You are right there is more to Heath's story but will he be around to tell it? He can't stay in toy form forever it's literally tearing him apart.

      I feel like that every time I get caught up on a really good story. It's nice to be caught up but I want to click on the next post only to find this is it ..... no I want more.

      Thank you so much for taking the time to read all my stories and commenting!

      Delete
  3. There's a lot going on in this chapter. Mim reminded me of Dana for a moment and I didn't like that at all. I hope Alanon is right and nothing comes of it. I guess I understand Adams anger with Bev, but could h really expect a human to fight Allessandros influence? She's not magical, she couldn't just snap out of it. But, I hope that Heath s okay :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim has been affected by her time in the time bubble and her time with Silver. How much and to what extent only time will tell. She's mostly just scared that her daddy's will want the baby more than her because she's older and just met. She can feel the truthfulness of Don's words when he said he loved her so she's excepting that for now. You have to remember that Adam was put in that position when Alessandro told him to drink from Elliot. It was difficult but he refused. He was weak and just turned same as Beverly so he's thinking if he could why couldn't she? So he does have reason to be angry.The next chapter will go into more detail. Heath well things are about to happen...not good things I'm afraid. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete