Saturday, January 2, 2016

3.20 Visiting Family



Staring into the night sky Heath waited for his dad to come home. He could hear the laughter from inside the house but it held little to no appeal to him. He was happy for his brother, he deserved to be happy. That was the problem. Everyone was happy but him. Heath leaned against a nearby tree wondering what his life would have been like if he hadn't been stupid enough to go out on his own to rescue Don. He should have gone to his dad for help. He had no one else to blame but himself. Did he really regret how things had turned out?

"Son?" Adam said from the darkness "your mother said you were out here." Breathing deeply of the cold night air Adam moved closer to his son until he was standing beside him. "Why aren't you inside with the others?"

Heath exhaled loudly "I didn't feel I belonged in there..." exhaling "I don't feel like I belong anywhere." He almost pulled away when his father slipped an arm around him.

"Son I won't bother to tell you that your wrong. A whole houseful of people love and care about you if you'd only let them in." Heath opened his mouth to protest but Adam continued before he could say anything "why don't you tell me what's wrong?" Adam fell silent waiting for his son to speak. Adam knew he could make this easier for both of them by just reading his mind but Adam had never felt comfortable reading someone elses mind. It felt invasive and stalkerish to him.

Silence fell between them as Heath pondered his thoughts "how did you know that mom loved you?"


"It was all the little things. The way she took care of you and your sister. The way she'd touch my hand and how my heart seemed to freeze and race at the same time. A certain look in her eyes that me go weak in the knees," he chuckled remembering "I was reluctant at first. Scared really after the horrors of dealing with Windy. I wasn't sure I could ever let anyone get that close to me again."

Turning his gaze from the stars to his dad's face Heath asked "how did you? How did you overcome your fear?"

"By letting it go. Facing it. It was the only way to appreciate the things I had." Putting a hand on his son's shoulder he continued "don't get me wrong it wasn't easy. Even when Beverly and I finally got together I still experienced overwhelming anxiety. Still do. Sometimes it's like I can't breathe. I never want her to get hurt but things happen and sometimes bad things happen and you can't prevent your loved ones from getting hurt."

"It feels like I'm always looking over my shoulder. Waiting, expecting for the next bad thing to happen." Heath added "dad I don't know how I feel anymore. I'm so confused and mixed up."

Adam pulled Heath close as he broke down into sobs. He ran his hands through his son's dark blue hair as he rubbed his back. "Son tell me everything," he entreated "together we'll come up with a plan."


After putting the girls down for the night Don walked out into the living room where Quentin was sucking face with Reggie. "Get a room" he tossed a pillow at them "have you seen Heath?" he asked when the couple pulled a part.

He watched the two exchange glances before Quentin replied "he's outside with dad." He stood up and went over to stand in front of Don "are you and Heath breaking up?" he asked his voice low, concerned.

"What? No!" Don almost shouted at him stepping back eyes alarmed "what gives you that idea?"

Quentin glanced towards Reggie seeking support. Reggie stood up and squeezed his fiance's hand "at the airport" he shrugged "you don't act like a couple in love."

"We have kids. It's different." Don told them "it's not like we can get lost in each other like you guys can."


"Hear that babe?" Reggie snickered to Quentin "we can't show affection once we have kids."

"I heard it but I don't believe it," Quentin growled softly "didn't you hear Kimberly at the airport? She said that you and Heath should kiss more. I thought it curious then but now I understand. I bet you didn't even notice how sad she was when she said it."

"She is?" Don asked almost to himself rubbing his face wondering if that was Heath's problem. 
Thinking back Don recalled times when he had brushed off Heath's attempts to hold his hand or kiss him in public. Don had always been a private person but had he gone overboard?

"Yeah she did" Quentin nodded eyeing Don carefully.

"I bet you didn't get the very unsubtle hint that she wants her dads to get married," Reggie added "what's wrong with you? Heath is fine real estate. If you don't want him someone else will."


Swallowing hard Don gazed into his hands. He hadn't even considered getting married. Not that he was opposed to the idea he just hadn't thought Heath was ready yet. Heath told him he needed time. Had he inadvertently given Heath the idea he didn't want him?

Reggie turned to Quentin "come on babe let's go to bed. We're obviously wasting our time with this guy. I was right when I said he didn't know a good thing when he had it."
After they left Don sat down on the couch. Was Reggie right? Did he not know when he had a good thing? Was he pushing Heath away on purpose?

***

Guiding his son to a nearby bench Adam held him until he lifted his head from his shoulder.  "Son tell me what's on your mind?" he made it a request but he hoped Heath took the hint and talked.

Sniffling Heath sat up "I don't know how I feel. One minute I feel like it's all going to fast and the next I wonder why Don doesn't like me any more."


Adam's first instinct was to tell him he was wrong. That of course Don liked him. Then the question popped to mind 'did he really?' There had to be a reason why Heath felt the way he did. The last thing he wanted to do was invalidate Heath's feelings. "What makes you feel that way?" he asked instead.

"He never let's me hold his hand or kiss him public. It's like he's ashamed of me." Heath gulped in air trying to keep the tears at bay.

"Have you talked to him about it?" Adam asked him "maybe he has a problem with PDA. Does he act like that at home?" Adam's heart sank as he watched Heath's head slowly nod in answer to his question. 

"He only ever wants to show affection in the bedroom behind closed doors. Always worried about the kids seeing." He turned sad liquefied eyes towards his dad "is it wrong to show affection to your boyfriend in front of your kids? I remember you and mom kissing and hugging in front of us. So what's wrong with me that he doesn't want to?"

Pulling hims close heart breaking over his son's unhappiness. He could feel his fangs extending as he felt his ire rise in response. His son has been through enough. He didn't need to feel unworthy on top of everything else. Heath moved in his arms mumbling from his shoulder "he doesn't even want to get married" gulping he continued "he used to mention it all the time in the bubble universe. He hasn't even mentioned it once since we got home. What am I doing wrong?"


Pulling him from his shoulder Adam held his son's face between his hands "you've done nothing wrong..."

"I only asked for a little time Time figure out how I felt. I didn't think he'd shut me out completely." Heath stammered clinging to his father.

Adam pulled him close allowing him to cry upon his shoulder. He looked up as a shadow fell upon them. Looking up eyes glowing he watched Don approach. If his hands had been free Adam might have done something he may have regretted later on but at the moment he wanted to avenge his son. How dare this person break his son's heart!

***

Gulping a the sight of Adam's glowing eyes and the extended fangs. Don forced himself to step forward. Forced his mouth to from the words he needed to say. "May I speak to him please," He nearly jumped back from the glare Adam speared him with "please" he begged.

Shifting in his fathers arms Heath took several shuddering breaths before responding "what do you want?"


"To apologize," Don told him taking a hesitant step forward under the disapproving gaze of Adam in full vampire mode.

"I'm listening," Heath muttered into the night clinging to his dad for support.

"I never meant to make you feel unworthy. I didn't know I was doing that until tonight. I'm sorry." Don knelt in front of the bench where Heath all but cowered in front of him. 

"You're ashamed of me," Heath accused him "always pushing me away."

"No no babe I'm so sorry. I have never been ashamed of you. I...." he sat back on his heals looking down avoiding eye contact with Adam "you asked for time. I was afraid I'd push you too fast if I didn't put limits up. I never thought or tried to make you feel unwanted I..." Running a hand through is short dark hair "I handled it all wrong."


Adam stood up towering above them eyes glowing but no longer in the grim of his vampire rage pulsing through him. His fangs had retracted enough for him to say "I'm going inside now to give you two privacy to talk." He walked away confidant with his brief mind scan that Don meant what he was saying. It was up to Heath now.

Hanging his head mumbling "I'm sorry I'm such a mess. You deserve someone who doesn't constantly need reassurance."

"That's not so," Don protested sitting beside him on the bench "Reggie and Quentin both have confidence oozing out of them but I've never wanted them. I've only ever wanted you."

Heath perked up at hearing those words. "You're not just saying that are you?"

"No babe I meant every word of it," Don put an arm around Heath pulling the boy to him "I understand why your confused. I'm willing to wait for you to figure it out on your own. I'll do better at showing affection in public too. Just don't expect me to be sucking face at every moment of every day regardless of where we are."


Laughing softly Heath tilted his head a little to look up at Don "that wouldn't be you. It'd be nice but I'd wonder what was wrong with you."

Gazing into Heath's blue eyes Don leaned forward and pressed his lips to Heath's. Deepening the kiss as he felt Heath respond to him. "I do want to marry you" he told him once they pulled apart to breathe "I want it to be right for both of us. Not because we have two kids or because we've been together for years and it's expected of us. I love you"

Smiling Heath cuddled into Don's embrace leaning back resting his head on his shoulder. "I love you too." Heath replied back and this time there was no hesitance or doubt in his voice. "I love you" he repeated listening to the steady beat of Don's heart knowing he was safe, he was wanted and he was home.

***

"Ew gross," Irissa announced coming into the kitchen to find her brother making out at the breakfast table. "Get a room" she told them as she helped herself to waffles.

Chuckling a little Heath pulled himself away from Don noticing his reddening cheeks and finding it adorable. "It's nothing you haven't seen before" he retorted.



Rolling her eyes she took a mammoth sized bite before responding "tell me about it." 

"Those look good," Heath said moving to get a plate.

"They're the best," Irissa eyed him for a moment "when are you gonna get married?"

"When the times right" Heath told her slathering strawberry jam onto his waffles. Licking his fingers he asked "when are you?"

A mysterious smile flashed across her alien features "before you probably."


Frowning he put his fork down finding the idea of his little sister dating somewhat unsettling. "When do I get to meet him?"

Giggling as she got up to put her plate in the dishwasher "who said it was a him?"

"Err her then," When am I going to meet her?" Heath corrected as he tried to digest that his little sister was growing up.

Shaking her head she stopped in the doorway laughing at him "at graduation you'll meet them."

"Them?" he choked forgetting his breakfast as he moved to follow her "you have some explaining to do little missy."


"All will be revealed at graduation," she called from the stairs "it's really not as bad as it sounds."

He watched her run up the stairs unsure whether to follow and demand an explanation or to wait. The voice of his young daughter stopped him as she asked "when are you and daddy going to have another baby?"

"Hmm what?" he turned his head to stare at Kimberly as she played with her 'Uncle' Keenan. He walked towards them his mind still occupied with the conversation he just had with his sister. "What was that sweetie?"

"I want a little brother," she announced "when are you and daddy going to have another baby?"


"After we're married," he told her sitting on the couch absently rubbing his chin.

"When will that be?" she persisted "you're not getting any younger you know."

"No sweetie we're not" he agreed with a her knowing that to her 21 was ancient when to him it left him struggling to catch up.

His dad came into the room searching for something. Upon seeing Keenan he visibly relaxed "good there's the little scamp. He has a habit of hiding from us." He sat down beside Heath and watched the kids playing on the floor.

"Dad?" Heath queried

"Yeah" he turned to look at Heath "what's on your mind?"



"Do you ever think about how it'll be when mom ages and you don't?" Heath looked at him with a slight frown.

"Sometimes but even though I know what will reverse the vampirism I can't do it. At least not yet." He nodded towards the two year old boy giggling on the floor. "He's not ready to become ruler of Moonlight Falls. Even when he is, he'll still need someone he can trust to guide him. It's a lot of responsibility and I want to be sure he can handle it before I relinquish my rule to him."

"What about mom? How does she feel about that?"

"She doesn't like it. The idea of her growing old while I still look thirty-two is hard for to deal with. She'll soon pass me up when she is quite a bit younger then me. We've discussed it. We may not like it but neither of us want her to become a vampire either." He looked at his son "are you thinking about Don?"

"I am" Heath admitted "I'm not a full IF but I'll still age slower than him..."


"Do you think you'll love him less because he'll grow old and you won't?" Adam asked him.

"Well no but I don't know what I'll do without him," he admitted.

"We'll figure it out together," Adam told him "don't forget I'll be in the same boat as you."



4 comments:

  1. It's a good thing Heath finally had someone to talk to about what was bothering him. I guess it also doesn't help much when he and Don see Reggie and Quentin acting all lovey dovey with one another-brings out how different their circumstances are. As for Don not being able to express affection in public-- well, some people aren't comfortable enough with others seeing them engaged in romantic activities. I can sort of undrrstand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heath was looking forward to spending some quality time with his dad. He needed someone to talk to that he trusted. He loves Don and Don loves him they just differ vastly on how to show it. Don really thought he was giving Heath the time and space he needed to figure things out instead it was pushing them farther apart. Up until Don was ten he was raised by his mother who did not show affection so it's hard for Don. It's different for Heath since he was raised by his dad who has never been shy about showing his feelings. You're right being around a couple who has no problem with PDA isn't helping but they did help open up Don's eyes. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I feel like I missed so much with the Van Winkles lol Glad that Don and Heath worked it out. I don't know if more kids would be a good idea LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Van Winkles never stand still. No wonder most of the heirs act like they're lost most of the time. lol They were able to work this out but it's a recurring problem because things between them didn't happen at a normal rate. More kids well you're probably right about that but things happen....

      Delete