Monday, February 13, 2017

4.25 The Power Within


Keenan shrugged off the well meaning hands and whispered words of encouragement. It was all so meaningless. If his dad died all their well meaning words were for nothing. He looked up as the door opened and his Grandpa Peter walked into the room. Lines etched into his face were all Keenan needed to know to see how bad things were. His father was dying. He would be made ruler of Moonlight Falls. He swallowed over the hole in his stomach. He wasn't ready. He didn't want the title or the responsibility. He should have had years before this fell upon his shoulders.

He felt the hand on the back of his shoulder. He wanted to scream at whoever it was to leave him alone. He didn't want to hear anymore well meaning words. "Son" Peter's voice intruded upon his dark thoughts.

"What?" he growled without turning.

"Come with me," Peter said exerting pressure on his back.

Turning Keenan glared at the faces in various stages of disbelief and grief. Everyone his family. Each one important to him. Each devastated by the tragic events. He shouldn't be angry at them but he was. He was angry at everyone.


Silently he followed Peter from the room. Crossing his arms he tried to brace himself for the news. The blow that would leave a hole in his heart forever. "Is my father dead?" he asked his voice even to his ears cold, angry, heartless.

"Not yet" a familiar voice assured him.

His head jerked up "what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to help" Quinn said stepping forward.

"How can you help?" he demanded. He could feel his walls crumbling around him. Her words were like a life preserver to a drowning man. At what cost? Would his dad want this woman's help? Who was she?


Quinn watched the conflicting emotions flit across his face. Saw how young he was. Knew how difficult this was for him. "I wish I could do more," she said locking her eyes with his "I can't interfere..."

"Then what good are you?" he shouted taking a menacing step forward fangs growing as his anger burned within him.

"I have options for you" she said unmoved by his display of vampiric fury.

"Options?" he hissed eyes glowing as he circled her.

"Keenan listen to her" Peter advised his tone calm, even, persuasive "she can help."


Snorting Keenan demanded "what are those options?"

"Yes tell the boy his options" Silver sneered "while your explaining it to him Adam will be dead."

"Silver you shouldn't be here" Quinn shouted her voice like thunder.

Ignoring her Silver directed his attention to his son "I can save him. I want to save him."

"At what cost?" Peter demanded coming alongside Keenan.

"Why must you assume there's a cost?" Silver inquired "can't I do something out of the kindness of my heart?"

"No" Peter shouted for the first time losing his cool "there's always a cost. What's in it for you?"

"I want what's mine" Silver screamed dropping all pretenses.

"He's not yours" Quinn asserted.

"So you'd rather see him die than let me have him" Silver let his words drip with scorn and self righteous indignation. "What about you son? Are you ready for daddy to die?"


"Think about what your dad wants" Peter advised.

Whirling around Keenan shouted "what about what I want?"

Silver gave Quinn a smirk as if to say I win. "We have a deal?" Silver asked staring at the boy.

Keenan turned his back on Peter facing the slimy two faced creature that had tormented his family multiple times. He wanted to except the deal. Anything to keep his dad alive. He couldn't. He couldn't save his dad's life only to have him hate him later. To be a great leader was being able to make difficult decisions. The unpopular decisions. The decisions that hurt even when you knew they were for the best. "No" Keenan shook his head "dad would rather be dead than be with you." He gulped in a huge breath of air holding it. Although he knew what he said was true it felt like he was sentencing his father to death.

"You'll regret this" Silver screamed "I won't give up...I'll..."


"You'll what?" Peter asked putting a comforting hand on his grandson's shoulder. Squeezing tightly "Adam will be gone. What else can you do?"

Keenan could hear the pain, the sorrow and grief in his grandfather's voice. He never realized how close Peter had been to Adam, growing closer after the death of Grandma Jean.

"I will destroy everything you hold dear" Silver directed his venomous words to Keenan. "You'll have no one to blame but yourself. One by one your family will perish."

"Leave my family out of this" Keenan shouted mustering what strength he had "they've done nothing to you."

"Nothing but stand in my way" Silver shook his head "they turned my son against me. I'll turn them against you. You've chosen your fate." He laughed turning to Quinn "someone disobeyed orders. The amulet's power has been broken."


Rushing towards him Quinn grabbed his arm "I won't let you take him."

"You can't stop me" Silver shoved her aside.

"Watch me," she said exerting a temporary field around Silver freezing him in place. "Go to your father" she directed Keenan.

"And do what?" Keenan demanded.

"You have Silver's DNA. His ability is yours. Tap into it." The power drain was immense as she struggle to contain Silver "that power comes from me. This vile creature is part me."


Keenan's eyes grew wide. He wondered if he had that kind of power in him. Was it that energy he sensed within him that terrified him? There were so many questions he wanted to ask but to delay meant giving Silver the chance to escape.

Turning he ran towards the infirmary. Trusting that Quinn would delay Silver long enough for him to do whatever he needed to do. He didn't know why he could trust her. He just felt he could. She was in a sense his grandmother if her claim to be genetically related to Silver was correct. This power running through him wasn't something to be feared after all.

He crashed into the closed door into his father's room. The security guards stepped aside allowing him access. The doctor shook his head laying a hand on Keenan's shoulder "I'm sorry. We did all we could."

All they could. The words echoed in his head. How many times had he heard those words in some TV show or movie? He knew those words were meant to comfort him. They just sounded so ominous. So final. His dad was losing the fight to live.

He approached the bed noting the amulet had been removed. The horrific wound in his chest was hidden behind sterile bandages. This was his dad. This shell was all he had left. When the breath went out of him the shell too would be gone.


Cautiously he put his hand out over the wound. Closing his eyes he blotted out the sounds of the doctors and nurses shuffling around him. The commotion outside the door. Quinn? Silver? He'd better hurry.

He could feel the energy within him building. He tried not to worry what was happening or what he was about to do. He simply let it flow through him becoming him. The door opened letting the chaos into the quiet hospital room. He could feel Quinn's approval. Silver's outrage. Another presence comforting and familiar "dad?" he said "don't go. It's not time. There's still so much left for me to learn."

"Son" Adam's voice startled him.

"Dad" Keenan cried "don't go. I need you." He waited for a response but none came. He cried out louder "I don't know what to do. Tell me what to do." He felt like a child lost and afraid. He tried to focus but the chaos around him prevented it.

"Hurry son" Adam's voice loud and clear in his head "concentrate on me. Blot out everything else. The noise. The people. The only thing that matters is us. Do you feel the energy? The power?"


"I feel it" Keenan acknowledged "what do I do with it?"

"Release it" Adam told him.

"Release it where?" Keenan balked at the idea of sending it pulsating into his father's body "it could kill you."

"I'm already dead" Adam told him "I can see into your mind that I'm needed here but I can't stay without the energy you can give me."

"I don't want to hurt you" Keenan shouted "what if this is just the beginning? What if by using the power I received from Silver will it turn me into a monster?"


"It won't" Adam assured him" you're my son. You're stronger than you think."

"What if I'm not?" Keenan cried "what if I let this power corrupt me?"

"You stood up to Silver" Adam said "you refused to let him save me. You kept him from getting what he wanted. You overcame your own desires to keep me alive than giving into Silver's demands. I'm so very proud of you." Adam sighed sounding resigned "I have to go. I love you son."

"You can't go" Keenan called out to him again and again receiving on response. He could feel the energy sizzling within him. He pressed his hand down on Adam's chest ignoring the doctor telling him his dad was gone. That was lie. He had just been talking to him. He wasn't gone. He couldn't be gone. He needed him.

He was thrown backwards by the sudden release of energy. He lay for a moment dazed on the floor. What just happened? Struggling to sit up Keenan found everyone standing around Adam's bedside. 
"Did it work?" he choked out the words his throat raspy and dry.


Quinn knelt beside him "I knew you could do it."

"Do what?" he asked confused.

"You tapped into your power" Quinn said helping him up "be careful how you use it."

Before he could ask  her any questions she was gone. Keenan took a couple of wobbly steps towards his father's bed. The doctors and nurses seemed to be scurrying around like rats in a maze. "What did you do to him?" one doctor demanded sounding belligerent.

"I don't..." he raised a hand only to have the man flinch from his touch. "I won't hurt you" despite his assurances the man continued to look at him with fear and distrust. Gazing around the room he found a guard coming towards him. "Come with me" the angry unfriendly voice commanded. With a final glance at his father Keenan turned to follow the guard to the waiting room.

***


Keenan sat alone staring into the fire. It was difficult to believe it had been four weeks since Serafino had tried to have his dad assassinated. His methods weren't likely to engender him with the influential families in Moonlight Falls. Using a group of drugged inexperienced vampires to carry out his commission had left a sour taste in several people's mouths. Even the ones who supported Serafino and his views were running for cover.

Sighing Keenan sat back watching the flickering flames. He should be happy his dad was alive. He glanced down at his hands shivering despite the warmth of the fire. What was he? People who had known him all his life avoided him now. It was like everyone was afraid to be too close to him.

He wore gloves to ease their minds that he couldn't touch them. That he wouldn't hurt them. It did little to reassure them. If he was able to restore someone back to life than he could take that life as well. Had this circumstance been what Silver wanted all along?

"Is this seat taken?" a soft feminine voice asked.

Without glancing up Keenan nodded keeping his eyes focused on the fire.


"How's your dad?" she asked her voice gentle, her eyes on the fire.

Keenan made a noncommittal grunt before looking in her direction. "Why are you talking to me?" he asked.

"I know how you feel" she moved her shoulders in a self deprecating shrug.

"How could you know how I feel?" he demanded "people I've known all my life avoid me. Won't talk to me. Walk across the street when they see me coming. There's no possible way you could know how I feel."

"That's where you're wrong" she tossed her long hair over her shoulder. Light from the fire made her tears glisten on her cheeks "my own brother kicked me out of the only home I've ever known."


That statement caught Keenan's attention. His eyes narrowed taking in her appearance "Why?" he asked looking into her beautiful face and for the first time noticing the sadness in her eyes.

"I'm different" she moved a long green leg stretching it out in front of her pointing towards the spots that traveled up and down it "those aren't normal elven markings."

Without thinking Keenan gently touched her skin "what are they?" he asked gently caressing her skin.

"No one knows" she sighed heart beating fast. All her senses centered on his touch. She made an indistinct sound.

Keenan jerked his hand away realizing at that moment what he was doing. "I'm sorry" he mumbled "I didn't think I..." he got up and stumbled for the door.

***


Breathing deeply gulping in the cool night air Keenan knew he should go back inside let Tommy know he was leaving. He couldn't face seeing her again. A slight smile graced his lips at the thought of her. He didn't even know her name yet he knew he'd never forget her. What were those spots? Were they significant? Why would her brother kick her out of her home? Was it just because she had markings that couldn't be explained by normal Elven lore? Had she been born that way? Had the spots appeared over time? Something within him was compelling him to find out.

"I thought I'd find you out here" a soft voice said beside him.

"You were looking for me?" he didn't know why but that thought gave him a warm fuzzy feeling deep within him.



She looked away brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "You left so suddenly I was worried about you" she placed a hand on his forearm "why'd you leave?"

"I..." he glanced down at her hand "I don't know." He moved his eyes from her hand to her eyes "I don't know your name."

"Lydia" she said with a smile patting his arm.

It felt like he had been bestowed with a rare precious gift "thank you." A radiant smile spread across his face adding a twinkle to his eyes "why aren't you afraid of me like everyone else?"

"I'm not like everyone else" she giggled "neither one of us are what we appear to be."

Nodding he put a hand out and gently urged her to walk with him. It was strange to be out without a horde of guards watching protectively around him. None of his normal werewolf guards wanted to be anywhere near him.

***


Tommy paced the floor waiting for Keenan to come home. Glancing at the time he groaned wondering for the hundredth time if he should call someone. Keenan had never been out this late before usually it was him waiting up for Tommy to return from one of his dates with Velvet. Tommy threw himself into a chair trying to convince himself that he had nothing to worry about. Keenan could take care of himself.

He jumped up as the door opened and Keenan walked in a goofy grin on his normally serious face. 
"Where have you been?" Tommy demanded sounding more like his mother than he ever wanted to be.

"Walking" was the non informative response.

"Walking?" Tommy said voice rising in indignation "do you know how late it is?"

Keenan stared blankly at him a moment before a giggle escaped "do you hear yourself?" he asked grinning at his friend "you sound like my dad."


"Well I..." Tommy groped for something witty to say. Coming up empty he shrugged "I was worried about you."

"You're the only one who is" Keenan said somewhat bitterly.

"You know that isn't true" Tommy protested "your family cares about you. Don't shut them out."

"That's easier said then done" Keenan muttered "It's not like the guards will let me anywhere near them."

"I know. I'm sorry" Tommy put a hand on Keenan's shoulder giving him a reassuring squeeze "it'll get better. They're just scared."


"Yeah they're scared of me" Keenan mumbled dropping morosely into a chair "they look at me like I did this. I'd never hurt anyone much less my dad. Never."

"You saved his life" Tommy pointed out "no matter what happens you have that. That has to mean something."

Leaning forward Keenan rubbed his eyes "I guess. It's just really hard to see people I've known all my life look at me with so much fear and hatred. They know me. Watched me grow up."

"Give them time" Tommy urged "they're still reeling from the assassination attempt on your father. 
You'll see things will change once things settle down."

"You think so?" he asked looking up at Tommy's concerned face.


"I do" Tommy said confidently "now tell me all about your evening with Lydia."

"You're just changing the subject" Keenan protested.

"Of course I am" Tommy smiled innocently "I'm curious. Lydia is pretty and seems really into you. Come on tell me something."

Keenan glanced away embarrassed by Tommy's unabashed curiosity. He could feel his cheeks heating up as he remembered how soft her skin felt beneath his fingertips. He could sense Tommy watching him. Standing up he moved towards his bedroom door "wouldn't you like to know" he laughed opening his door "I'm going to bed."

"Hey" Tommy shouted following him "I deserve more than that. After all the worrying I did waiting up for you to come home."


Whistling softly Keenan shook his head as he shut his bedroom door. He knew Tommy wouldn't let a simple closed door stop him. No sooner had he stripped out of his clothes Keenan looked up as his door banged open.

"My eyes" Tommy slapped a hand across his eyes dramatically stumbling around as if he had been suddenly struck blind "dude you need some sun."

"Dude I'm a vampire" Keenan shook his head "I'm supposed to be pale."

"Maybe your kids will get their mother's skin tone...green" he laughed at the half exasperated half angry look Keenan gave him "well you do like her don't you?"

"Yeah but that doesn't mean I'm already planning my life with her" Keenan said moving towards the bed "I barely know her much less want to have kids with her. Now get out and let me get some sleep."

Moving towards the door Tommy turned off the light "I'll just ask Velvet for the information I seek."

"You do that" Keenan closed his eyes a smile upon his face confidant that Lydia would no more confide in her roommate than he had in Tommy.



4 comments:

  1. Awesome Keenan and Lydia are cute <3 I'm intrigued to see what you do with her markings. Also, I adore Tommy lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keenan is pretty awesome. Lydia is just the cutest. I'm still working on the markings and we'll learn more as Keenan learns. Tommy is so impulsive sometimes and he really has no sense of boundaries. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I'd be happy to give Keenan a big hug, which he really seems to need. But maybe Lydia will be happy to do that already? ;)
    Screw Silver. I just want to pull a Michael Scott and ask him "Why are you the way that you are?" He acts like a spoiled child who didn't get the most expensive toy for his b-day.
    I think Keenan will figure things out. He's got a good head on his shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keenan is open to the idea. He likes hugs. Lydia on the other hand might be a little on the territorial side. ;)
      Silver is awful and needs someone to put him in his place. Unfortunately Quinn can't do it directly herself. Keenan might be able to given time. He is just know tapping into to the power he always knew was within him bu he was too afraid to use. He was afraid people would treat him differently and he had been right they are treating him like a pariah. He got that good sense from his dad. Goodness know he didn't get it from Silver! Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete