Wednesday, February 22, 2017

4.26 Lost in the Dark


Kimberly leaned against her daughter's bedroom door. Squeezing her eyes shut she tried to blot out the sounds of her daughter's terrified screams.

"Mommy don't leave me" Phoebe's pitiful pleas for her to come back almost broke her resolve as she began to open the door to go back inside.

"Honey she needs to learn to sleep on her own" Everett said coming alongside her drawn by his daughter's pleas. Her screams were painful to bear.

"I just want to hold her" Kimberly cried leaning into him seeking comfort "tell her she has nothing to fear."

"I know" Everett soothed pulling her close "I want to do the same thing."

"Then why are we out here listening to our baby cry? Pleading for us to come to her?" Kimberly demanded hands curled into fists pounding his chest.


Everett stilled her hands as he looked deep into her eyes. It wasn't a new thought for either one of them. Neither of them knew why their daughter had been having night terrors. They didn't know of any creature that could or would torment a child like that. His breath caught in his throat as he asked "could it be an IF?"

"She doesn't have one" Kimberly sniffed drying her eyes "my family have banned those vile things from their homes." She took a deep breath turning towards their daughter's door "it's something else. I can feel her fear. It's real..."

Everett put a a hand on her shoulder squeezing tight "I believe you."

She reached up taking his hand "what are we going to do?"

"I don't know. At least not yet" he kissed the top of her head "we'll figure it out though."

They both stared at the closed impassive door. Beyond that door was their little girl. Their daughter was being hurt by forces unknown. Leaning his ear against the door Everett sighed "I think she fell asleep." He ran his tongue along his bottom lip "do you think you can connect with her while she's asleep?"

"You mean see what she's dreaming about?" Kimberly asked "I..I don't know. I've never tried that before."

***


"Dark. So dark" Kimberly mumbled clutching at Everett's supporting arms. She felt him guide her towards something unseen. Nothing was real. Only the darkness. She shivered as a child called to her.

"Mommy" Phoebe cried in the distance "I don't like it here."

"Baby where are you?" Kimberly called disoriented in the darkness. 

"Over here mommy" Phoebe cried out to her "hurry mommy. The darkness is coming to get me."

"I'm coming sweetie" Kimberly called out hoping her voice would calm the panic rising in her daughter's voice. She turned in the direction she thought Phoebe's voice was coming from.  She stumbled in the darkness. Falling head over heals like a ball bouncing down a flight of stairs. Moaning she lay in the dark, disoriented, breathing hard. She hadn't heard Phoebe's voice in a while. How long? She wasn't sure. She wasn't sure what was real anymore. Her anchor to the outside world was tenuous at best. She felt trapped. Scared. Lost.

"Phoebe say something" she pleaded in the dark "let mommy know you're alright." Silence greeted her plea. The darkness felt oppressive pressing in around her like a living presence. "Phoebe" she screamed into the darkening void.


A rustling stirred the air around her. A light breeze blew her hair around her face and shoulders. A sound like laughter rolled around her. Directionless. Ominous. Coming from everywhere and nowhere at once.

"You don't belong here" a voice spoke loud in her ears. The warm breath of the unseen being brushed across her skin raising prickles of fear.

"Who are you?" Kimberly asked her voice cracking "what are you?"

"I am the darkness" a cruel laugh cackled around her "I am the nightmare. I am fear. Darkness is my domain."

Dark wispy tentacles reached out to her. Pulling her deeper into the darkness. Panic settled in around her as she tried to fight off the persistent tentacles drawing her deeper and deeper into the darkness. 

"What do you want with my daughter?" she shouted into the void hoping the darkness would respond.

"Who said I wanted her?" a voice in the darkness responded "maybe I want you. Maybe I'm lonely."

"No" Kimberly screamed as the tentacles squeezed her tight cutting off her air. Her lungs began to burn as her oxygen depleted and she began to suffocate.

***


"Kimberly" Everett shook her limp body "Kimberly wake up. Please baby wake up."

He had felt her body go stiff in his arms. The wheezing hiss as the air inside her was being squeezed out of her. Not breathing. Not moving. Limp.

He held her body to his chest rocking slowly back and forth. Pleading with her to wake up "come on baby please" he pleaded "please open your eyes. I need you. Don't go. Not like this." 

Guilt knifed through him. He shouldn't have asked her to connect with Phoebe. Not when she had never done it before. He should have stopped her. It had been too risky. It was his fault she was dead. Just like his parents death had been his fault. 

A low keening filled the air. All the guilt, the grief, and loss he was feeling came pouring out. He had nothing. Nothing left to hold on to. A shrill angry cry reached his ears through the walls taking moments for Everett to realize who and what it was. A baby. No doubt awakened by it's need to feed or have it's dirty diaper changed. Maybe it just needed the reassurance of a human touch. A baby?


Everett stirred. The cries meant something to him. He hadn't lost everything. He still had his son. Kissing Kimberly's forehead he carefully laid her body on the couch folding her hands across her chest. He moved towards his sons room taking one last glance back towards his wife's still silent body.

Opening the baby's room he quickly cared for the infants needs aware he had left it too long. The red purplish face screwed up in anguish as his cries turned to deep hiccuping. Soothing the baby in his arms his mind wandered to what he was going to do. How was he going to raise his children without their mother by his side?

He couldn't imagine a bleaker future than the one staring him in the face. "I'm sorry" he murmured swaying from side to side cradling his small son in his arms. "I don't know what to do" he said taking a deep shuddery breath forcing the tears back. He needed to think. He needed help. The silence of the house emphasized his lack of support.

Beverly was with Adam at the castle having been relocated there for better security after the failed assignation attempt on Adam's life. Heath had gone back to Midnight Hollow under heavy armed security as a potential target. Who did that leave? Peter? Maybe the patriarch of the family could help him. At least give him some ideas of the forces he was dealing with. Kimberly gave her life for their daughter. He wouldn't let that sacrifice be in vain. He was going to save their daughter.

***


Adam pierced his senior guard with a cold hard glare. "What do you mean he doesn't have a security detail attached to him?" Adam demanded his anger bubbling to the surface. "He's my son. He's a target just as much as I am." He stood moving around his desk. His agitation keeping him from standing or sitting still. "He's the heir" Adam hissed at the man who had no doubt done all he could to prevent the attack on him

"Sir" the werewolf rose from his chair "your son is capable of protecting himself. He has the power over life and death in this hands. My guards are afraid of him."

"That's utter nonsense" Adam shook his head. His heart beat within his chest a steady staccato beat. There was a dull residual ache where the stake had penetrated his chest "if it weren't for Keenan, my son, I wouldn't be here today."

Rubbing his chin his trusted guard nodded "I am aware of that. However people are afraid of what he might be capable of." He made hand dampening motions to keep Adam from flying into a rage "I will see what I can do. I ask you though what good is a security detail if the guards are too afraid of the person they are protecting?"

As much as he hated to admit it the guard had a point. His son was capable of protecting himself. Had survived this long without security protection. He let his silence tell of his displeasure. "I want my son to be allowed inside the castle walls to see me. Whenever he wants." He could see this did not sit well with the man "he's my son" Adam emphasized "Keenan is not a threat to my life."


"I'll make the arrangements" the guard nodded "he'll be allowed inside the castle from this time forward."

"Which leads me to my next request" Adam smirked seeing the man fidget uncomfortably before him "my wife and I would like to return to our home."

"You are home" the guard emphasized "it was a mistake to allow you to live outside the castle walls."

"Yet it was inside these very walls I was attacked" Adam pointed out to the obvious chagrin of the werewolf.

"Your place is inside the castle" the werewolf grumbled "no ruler has lived outside the castle walls."
Crossing his arms Adam prepared to argue his case when the door of his office was thrown open. 

"Alanon" Adam acknowledged the powerful mage "what brings you here?"

"Eyes sliding towards the guard before addressing Adam "forgive my intrusion" he bowed deeply before continuing "I have important things to discuss with you."

Turning to Adam the senior guard bowed "I will see to what we discussed."

Adam inclined his head in acknowledgment despite the fact that nothing had changed except for the lifting of the banishment of Keenan from the castle walls. "What's so important that it couldn't wait?" he challenged Alanon.

***


"The body of elders have convened" Alanon said without preamble "it's not good."

Adam knew the elders of the other supernatural clans were meeting and had been behind closed doors for over a week. "What have they decided?" this could be the moment he became the ex-ruler of Moonlight Falls. The prospect was not that bad. He hadn't wanted the position to begin with. Hadn't wanted to become a vampire much less a ruler. 

Alanon gave him a slight smile a small matter of lifting the corners of his mouth for a brief moment before saying "essentially they back you a hundred percent as ruler of Moonlight Falls. They don't want Serafino or anyone else in that position." He paused looking away from the other man he had come to consider a friend "they don't want Keenan to be heir."

"He's my son" Adam objected "he's the heir. A vampire."

Shaking his head Alanon sighed. He knew this would not be easy especially not the next part of what he had to apprise his ruler, his friend of. "They won't except him as heir. He's too powerful. The vampires have rejected him as part of their community. He's an outcast. He will not be accepted. I'm sorry."

Adam stared at his friend his most trusted adviser. "No I won't accept that" he shook his head sitting in his chair "I won't. I can't." He dragged his fingers through his short hair.

"Beverly is past the age of bearing children," Alanon pointed out feeling like he was rubbing salt in an open wound. "The elders won't take no as answer. You must do this."


Lifting his head his hair standing at odd angels "I'd be better off dead." He stared at his hands numbness spreading through his body. Nausea twisted his intestines causing his stomach to rumble inside him. "I can't do this. I can't hurt her like this. She's my wife. She's stuck by me through all of this." He slammed his fist onto the desk causing several items to crash to the floor.

Alanon glanced at him with understanding. He had waited for centuries to finally have his love by his side. Fortunately for him he could retain his position without needing an heir. Adam needed an heir because of fear. Fear that any man would become corrupt with absolute power. An heir would keep any one man from becoming too powerful. They had learned from past experience "I'm sorry they won't budge on this point" he stirred uneasily in his seat.

"I'll step down" Adam said "I won't be ruler anymore."

"Adam please" Alanon was afraid this would be his reaction "don't do anything rash. The people need you. They trust you. You give them hope."

"I can't do what they want" Adam shook his head "what choice do I have?"

"I did manage one concession" Alanon said looking Adam in the eyes "you're not going to like it."

Straightening in his chair Adam closed his eyes "no" he snapped "impossible."


"Be reasonable" Alanon entreated him "they don't expect you to abandon your wife or get a divorce. They're willing to wait until she lives out her normal lifespan."

Live out her lifespan. Those words were a bucket of cold water being poured over his head. It was a fact. Beverly would die while he lived on. He hadn't wanted to face that fact. He had seen the devastation Jean's death had on his father's life. A simple flu virus and she was gone. His father was a shadow of what he once was. That's not the future Adam wanted for himself. It was the one he had accepted by remaining with Beverly. Now that was being brutally changed. He was going to be expected to replace her. Produce another acceptable heir the elders could approve.

"They're asking the impossible" Adam blinked back tears "I can't just stop loving someone just because they aren't around anymore."

"You can't live in a vacuum either" Alanon kept his voice calm "just think about it. You don't have to do anything now. You have time."

Adam gave him a scathing look that would have sent others running towards the door. "I don't want to think about it. The whole idea is repulsive."

"I know" Alanon stood laying a gentle hand on Adam's shoulder "I'm sorry. I wish things were different."

Nodding Adam stared blankly at the far wall seething inside. The future was bad enough to contemplate without Beverly by his side. How would it be to have someone else by his side? Would he be able to love someone else?

Standing he opened his office door. As expected several guards were stationed nearby. Grimly he ignored their expressionless faces as he proceeded down the hall towards his living quarters. He needed to see his wife. Hear her voice. Feel her in his arms.

***



Beverly didn't need to be told something was wrong to know it. One look at Adam's pale face and smoldering eyes was enough to confirm her suspicions. She moved towards him without a word passing between them. Wrapping her arms around him her face pressed against his chest.

He wrapped his arms around her slim body. He brought a hand up to caress her hair more grey then red now. He cupped her face between his hands. Searching her face noting the lines in her once porcelain skin, "do you ever regret not becoming a vampire?"

She gazed steadily into his brown eyes lighter now from the soft vampiric glow that hadn't been there when they first met. "No" she shook her head "I was a vampire once. I couldn't...I wasn't strong enough." She bit her bottom lip remembering the taste of blood as it flowed down her throat while she drained the life's blood from her own son. She couldn't take that risk again. "I'm sorry" she mumbled turning away.

"No" Adam held her against him "that wasn't your fault. I wish things had been different. I wish we could have grown old together."

"What happened?" she asked bringing her hands up stroking his cheek.

"Nothing" he mumbled turning from her scrutiny.

"I know that isn't true" she took his hand guiding him to the couch "tell me."


An hour later she leaned into him silent "I guess that it's then" she murmured softly "you'll remarry once I'm gone."

"I won't" he said firmly "I'll resign. I'll drink IF blood. I'll..."

"You'll do no such thing" she shook her head at him "The people need you. Your family needs you." Taking his hand she squeezed it tight "your dad needs you."

"I don't want to go on without you" his lips quivered from the emotions he was trying to hold back.

"Things change" she said maintaining eye contact with him "I love you. I will love you until the end of time. That won't change regardless of who your with in this time." Tenderly she brought her lips to his. Caressing him with hers feeling the jagged edges of his fangs. A sure indicator of his inner turmoil "I want you to be happy. I want you to find love again. Forever is a long time to be alone"

"So you think I should remarry. Start a new family" Adam asked squeezing her tight as if he were afraid she'd vanish.

"I don't want you to be alone" she snuggled into him "I see the pain Peter is in. He misses Jean so much."


"Jean was the love of his live as you are mine" Adam murmured kissing her softly "he hates knowing he'll never grow old. That everyone and everything he knows will be gone while he remains."

"I don't want that for you" Beverly said turning in his arms "I want you to find love again. I want you to find happiness after I'm gone." She looked up at him "promise me you'll try. For me."

Adam stared deep into her ageless green eyes. For a moment he saw their life together. All the good and all the bad times. All the tiny things that formed the fabric of their lives together. He didn't want to lose that. Lose her. He couldn't imagine a life without her. He could see the half worried half pleading look in her eyes as she stared up at him. He opened his mouth to argue instead he said "I don't want to." The disappointment in her eyes filled him with anguish "I'm sorry" he murmured.

Gently she wiped a stray tear from his eyes "I understand. I'd feel the same as you if I were in you shoes." Tenderly she placed her lips to his "what we have is wonderful. It can't last forever though. You once said you'd do anything for me. Now's your chance to prove it. Do this for me? Give me the peace of mine that you'll fall in love again."

He bowed his head unable to endure her emerald gaze. "I love you. Always will." He lifted his eyes 
"I don't know if I can do this even for you. All I can do is try. That's the best I can do."

"Then that's all I'll ask for" she caressed his cheek "I love you so much."

"I love you too" he sighed pulling her close capturing her lips with his, a hungry passionate kiss full of impending loss and love. She was his life. His body ached knowing there time was growing shorter with each passing day.


No comments:

Post a Comment