Saturday, April 29, 2017

Special Chapter - Rita



Rita raced into the house. Dropping the grocery bags on the counter. She hurried to answer her phone. "Jason?" she said breathlessly.

"Did I catch you at a bad time?" his voice sounded distant.

"Yes" she said "I mean no" She took a deep gulp of air held it "I just got home from grocery shopping."

"Is your mother coming to town?" he asked.

She could hear the concern in his voice as well as the irritation she always heard when her mother came to visit. "It's the only time I buy groceries," she admitted "you know I always order out otherwise."

He chuckled a little "don't let her change your mind."


"I won't. I promise" her voice shook with uncertainty.
"Babe you promised" the disappointment in his voice reached her ears.
"I know I promised" her lip quivered as she leaned on the counter bringing a hand up to rub her temples "you don't know how she is." She could imagine him rolling his eyes on the other end of the call. He knew all too well what her mother was like. Her Mother would fight anyone to get her way. There was only one way to do anything, her way.
Rita had lived all her life complying with her mother's wishes. She was the good girl. The one who never caused any trouble unlike her baby brother Thomas. A slight smile quirked her lips up brightening her eyes. Her brother from an earl age made it clear he wasn't going to give in easily to his mother's wishes. He refused to answer to Thomas insisting it was an old man's name. Someone who smoked cigars and had handlebar mustaches with bow ties to complete the look. Rita often wondered where he had come up with that description. Not even their mother could alter his mind and he had been Tommy ever since.
"Rita honey" Jason's voice intruded upon her thoughts "are you alright?"
"I'm fine" she whispered into the phone "she won't stop me from joining you." She looked at the ring on her finger "Jason I really want to come..."

"Call your dad" he said suddenly before she could say goodbye.
"What good will that do?" she asked sounding deflated.
"You said he helped your brother...."
"Yeah" she bit her lip thinking. Her dad hadn't been around much when she was growing up but he had always been available to talk. There had been many times when she had been unfairly grounded and stuck in her room. She'd call him on the special phone he'd given her for such occasions. They each had one hidden in their rooms. A secret kept from their mother who would otherwise confiscate their phones as punishment for some perceived infringement of the rules. "I'll call him" she sniffed into the phone "I miss you" she murmured.
"I miss you too" Jason replied back. She could hear the smile in his voice as he said "I love you sweetheart."
She held the phone to her ear hoping he'd say something else. Reluctantly she laid her phone on the counter the last of the days sunlight glinted off her ring. A silent reminder of all the the secrets she wished she could share and couldn't.
***


Tripping over the vacuum cleaner's cord Rita hurried to the door. Opening it wide her frown was replaced with a wide grin. "Daddy" she cried throwing herself into his arms "you came."
"I said I would" he squeezed her tight "honey I wish you'd call me without it being an emergency."
"Who said this was an emergency?" Rita demanded eyes darting away unable to meet Jeff's eyes.
"You're mother is coming isn't she?" Jeff stated following her inside the house. He could see the struggle inside her and wondered if he had done the right thing by staying with Lisa all these years despite their growing rift. Maybe if he had put his foot down sooner his kids wouldn't need him to be their mediator between them and their mother. Lisa wasn't a bad mother. She loved her children. She wanted what was best for them and thought she knew what that was regardless of what they wanted. He mentally shook himself to stop rattling off all the negative characteristics that had so plagued their relationship throughout the years, overbearing,  perfectionist, domineering, controlling.
Twirling a strand of her strawberry blond hair around her finger Rita nodded. "You know what she's like" she lifted her chin eyes pleading "she'll want to stop me."


Gently he took her arm guiding her to the couch "The work you and Jason are doing is important."
"I know" she lifted a trembling hand to her eyes wiping away the tears "it's just mother wants me to finish medical school...."
Jeff took her hand feeling as if someone had thrown a heavy cloak of regret over his shoulders. If only he had seen what Lisa was doing sooner maybe his children wouldn't be afraid to stand up to her and make their own choices Maybe if he had they would have the confidence to be who they wanted to be without fear of her displeasure.
"Daddy it's not your fault" Rita said as if in response to his thoughts "you couldn't have done anything about Mother. Maybe she can't help it. You know how her parents are."
"I know sweetie" Jeff sighed squeezing her hand tight "I just worry that I wasn't there enough for you guys when you were growing up."


"Daddy don't think like that" Rita protested leaning into him "you were there. Who else did I tell about my first date?"
That brought a brief smile to his lips. He could still hear the excitement in her voice as she told him everything about that night. Every nuance, every thought, every glance, every touch she had experienced. If he had let her, she would have named the butterflies inside her stomach for him. He had felt bad that he hadn't been there to be the classic scary Dad instilling fear in the young man's heart who dared to date his daughter. Instead it was him she had confided in. It was him she had shared the news with when she had her first kiss.
"What can I do to help?" he asked voice husky with emotion.
"Daddy your my guest" she protested.
"I'm here to help" his eyes sparkled with amusement "put me to work."

Jeff squirmed uncomfortably beside his daughter as Lisa stared coldly at them from across the table. Her nose wrinkled in disgust as if she had smelled something grotesque. "How many times have I told you not to interfere with me raising the children? I know them better than you do...."
"Mother that's not fair" Rita protested "Daddy worked hard but he..."
"He did work hard" Lisa hissed "he loved his job more than you."
Jeff could feel every muscle inside him stiffen at the unfair accusation. His jaw muscle twitched as it clenched hard enough to make his teeth ache. With extreme effort he spoke "I never put my job ahead of you or the kids."
"I suppose I imagined all those lonely nights when you weren't home or all the school functions you missed because of some big case you were working on. I was a good wife supporting you so you'd make the next big promotion. I never complained about the long hours or the weeks we spent apart." She tossed her napkin down "but it was me who held the family together. I was there not you. I've earned the right to point the children on the paths they should follow."
"That's the problem isn't?" Jeff tossed back at his estranged wife "they're following your path not their own. Can't you see they're not happy?"
"I'm doing it for their own good" she shouted "they'll thank me for it later once they see I was right."


"Mother stop" Rita cried "I don't want to be a surgeon. I want to be with Jason working for Doctor's Without Borders. They need good nurses."
"There's no profit in that" Lisa scoffed "surgeons help people all the time and they don't have to risk their lives to do it." Turning to Jeff she demanded "do you know where she wants to go?"
Jeff turned away from her angry visage his gaze softening on his daughter "I think Rita is capable of making her own decisions. I commend her wanting to be a part of something that would benefit so many others in need."
"Thank you Daddy" she said her voice quivering.
"Why do I bother?" Lisa rolled her eyes "you obviously have no cue what she intends on doing." She paused making sure she had their attention "let me enlighten you. She wants to go to Lunar Lakes. How ridiculous is that?"
"People are dying mother" an edge crept into Rita's voice "I see nothing ridiculous about that." Turning to Jeff "Daddy please tell me you don't think it's ridiculous too. I want to help those people get the medical treatment they deserve."
"Of course it's not ridiculous" he pulled her close hugging her tight.


"Typical" Lisa grumbled "I always have to make the difficult decisions to ensure she doesn't ruin her life. Don't you care she could die by going there? People are sick and dying in the streets."
"That's why I have to go" Rita entreated her hoping she'd understand "the people of Lunar Lakes need help. I can help them." Turning to Jeff "if I take proper precautions I'd be no more at risk than anyone else. I know what to do to protect myself. I can do this."
"I know you can" he said despite the fear that gripped his heart. Simbola was an awful disease that lead to an even worse death. "Sweetheart if this is what you want to do. Do it. Don't let me or your mother stop you. Just be sure you're doing it because it's what you want and not what Jason wants."
"I know Daddy" looking across the table where her mom still stood "I want to do this. I want to help those people. It's not about money or prestige otherwise I'd stay in Medical School and become a surgeon like you want me to." As Lisa opened her mouth to launch a protest Rita shook her head "let me finish" she snapped "I love you but it's time I live my own life not the one you want me to have. I've twenty-four years old. I don't need your permission to do this. I am going to do this."
Giving Jeff a piercing glare Lisa moved towards the door "you and I need to talk."
Jeff stood feeling like he was about to face a firing squad. Before following Lisa outside he stopped long enough to hug his daughter "I'm sorry."
"It's ok Daddy" she kissed his cheek "it needed to be said and I needed to say it."
"I'm so proud of you" he kissed her cheek before going outside to receive the blast the mother of his children was going to give him.
***


Jeff found Lisa outside with her back to the door arms crossed. He could feel the tense angry vibrations radiating from her. "I don't get it" she complained "you were never there when they were little yet all of them have become just like you."
"There are other ways of being there than just being physically present" Jeff pointed out wishing he could make her see what the rest of them could.
"I was the one there every day" Lisa continued as if he hadn't spoken at all "that should count for something."
"It does" Jeff agreed "but were you listening?"
"I'm their mother" she snapped "I know what's best for them. I see now I should have been stricter; especially with Tommy."

"You can't control them. That's not what parenting is supposed to be" Jeff walked up beside her "our job is to guide them as they become the people they want to be."
Snorting Lisa turned to him "they're ruining their lives. I don't want a fairy for a grandson. I don't want my daughter dying from some obscure disease when she could be home safe and sound."
"Lisa they're adults" Jeff could hear his frustration rising in his voice making it crackle with stress "they need to make their own decisions. Sometimes that means we're not going to like them. We're not going to agree with them. It's their lives to live not ours." How many times would he have to repeat himself before this finally sank in?"
"How can you be so lackadaisical about this?" she demanded pounding her fists against his chest "their lives are ruined and you don't care."
"Who says their lives are ruined just because they aren't doing things your way?" Jeff asked "Tommy loves his wife and child. He may not be a monetary success yet but he has a wonderful family and a book on the best selling list. That has to count for something."

"I suppose Rita quitting medical school to be with some guy she barely knows is fine too" she walked several steps away looking up into the sky.
"She's known Jason for six years" Jeff pointed out following her "he's her fiance not just some boy."
"He's what?" she cried whirling around gaping at him.
"They're engaged" he could tell Lisa hadn't known. Why did this continue to happen? Why couldn't the kids tell their mother these things instead of letting him spill it unintentionally for them? "I thought you knew" he tried to explain "Rita was wearing her engagement ring."
"Of course I didn't know. They never tell me these things" she turned around walking towards her car "I'm done. They want to ruin their lives they're on their own." She got into the car glaring up at Jeff as he held the door open refusing to let her go.

"Don't do this Lisa" he pleaded "not again. She loves you. Your her mother. She wants your approval."
"Then tell her to say in school" Lisa hissed.
"Why must there be conditions?" Jeff demanded "why can't you just accept them for who they are?"
"Goodbye Jeffrey" she said putting the car in gear.
He jumped back allowing the door to swing shut. He shook his head at her as she glared at him through the windshield. She knew how much he hated her calling him Jeffrey. The way she said it made his teeth hurt. Why couldn't she see the more she pushed the less she got in return?
***

The door opened behind him and Rita ran past him. "Mother wait" she cried "I'll stay. I'll go to medical school. I'll..." She stopped as the car drove out of sight.
Jeff ran up beside her. Dropped to his knees pulling her close "I'm sorry sweetie."
"Why aren't I enough?" Rita cried clinging to him "why does she keep asking for more? I thought I was doing the right thing going to college. She was so proud of me. Then it was medical school like being a nurse wasn't good enough." She looked up through her tears "I liked being a nurse. Talking to the patients. Calming their fears. I've seen so many doctors where the patients are just numbers. They have no time to get to know the people they treat. It's all so impersonal."
"Sweetie if that's how you feel why were you going to comply with your mother's wishes?" Jeff asked stroking her hair.
"I hate knowing I've disappointed her" she sniffed "I don't want to disappoint Jason either."



"I noticed you were wearing your ring," Jeff said "I thought you had told your mother about your engagement."
"I hoped she'd notice" Rita squeezed his hand "stupid huh?"
"No not stupid" Jeff hugged her "I'm sorry you're being forced to choose between them."
"What should I do?" she cried looking to him for answers "I don't want to hurt either of them but" she bit her lip unable to go on.
"But" Jeff tilted her face up to his "no one can make this decision for you. Only you know what's in your heart. Listen to it. I'll love you no matter what you decide."


A smile spread across her face "even if I make the wrong choice?"
"Even if" he smiled back at her "a wrong decision is something you can learn from. Just be sure you decide for yourself. Don't worry about what I want or what you mother wants. It's not our decision to make. It's yours."
"You think I should go don't you?" she asked a hopeful gleam in her eyes.
"I can't make this decision for you" he smiled down at her "I have every confidence that you can make it for yourself."
"Thanks Daddy," she hugged him tight "you always make things so much better."
She ran ahead of him towards the house. He watched her sadly. He knew eventually he'd be kissing her goodbye. She'd choose to join Jason in Lunar Lakes. He'd spend his nights awake worrying about her until the Simbola outbreak was under control. Hoping and praying his little girl wouldn't be one of it's many victims. He'd repeat to himself that it was her decision and he'd be proud of her regardless.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Lisa is too demanding of her kids. Rita is doing a brave and courageous thing. No need to disown her for not doing what Lisa wants. Is Jeff divorced or planning on getting a divorce? I support that notion 1000%

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is demanding but to be fair it's what she knows. Her parents were just as demanding on her. I think marrying Jeff was her one act of defiance and she spent the rest of her life trying to prove to her dad that Jeff was as good as he was. Thus why she pushed him to work so hard. To the promotion. It's not an excuse for her actions though. Rita in her own way if a hero. Going into a place infected with disease takes a lot of courage. It doesn't hurt either that Jason is there too. Next chapter you'll get your answer. I know what you want to see happen ;)
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. In a way, I feel sorry for Lisa. It's hard for me to imagine how a person can live their life in such a bubble, not noticing how she is hurting the people closest to her. Because that is what she is doing. Really, a child shouldn't have to have a secret phone from their parent just so they could communicate with their other parent. Not in a healthy family, at least.
    I feel bad for Jeff too. Despite being busy, he tried his best to help his family, but some things just can't be helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can see where you could feel sorry for Lisa. She very much doesn't realize what she's doing. A lot of that is from her own upbringing. Her parents were very strict and demanding. Lisa is very unyielding when it comes to punishment even if it meant taking their phones away which meant taking away their only way of communicating with their dad who was often away working a case. So the secret phone came into existence.
      Jeff did try but he's plagued with doubts on whether it was good enough.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete