Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Generation 1, Chapter 54


A couple nights before the concert Doloris snuck out of the house. Being told she couldn't go didn't mean she wasn't going. Elias was going to meet her in his car on the other side of the woods behind their house. All she had to do was sneak out of the house without getting caught. She was almost through the woods when a dog jumped out at her. It was snarling and snapping at her whenever she attempted to go around it or back away.



Shakily she pulled out her phone to call Elias for help. "There's this ferocious dog blocking my path. What do I do?"

"Have you tried going around it?"

"Yes and every time I've tried it snaps at me."

"Can you retrace your steps and then go around?"


 
"No it follows me. About the only thing I can do is go straight back the way I came. I'd have to go real slow because I'm afraid of turning my back on it."

"I'll come to you. Maybe I can scare it."

"Hurry. I don't think it likes me talking."


Elias sprinted from the car and ran to help Doloris. When Elias got close he could see Doloris backing slowly away when the dog turned and ran straight towards him.


"Owww." He screamed as the dog's fangs sank into his shin and pain shot up his leg. "Run. Doloris run," he shouted.

Doloris ran towards the direction Elias came from, hoping to make it to the car. Seeing her run past, the dog started to chase her. Seeing that the dog had taken off to chase Doloris, Elias ran after as fast as his wounded leg allowed. He stopped to pick up a large stick to help defend himself with in case the dog came back. Doloris was almost to the car when she tripped, falling face down. She couldn't see where the dog was but she heard it growling above her.


Coming up behind them, Elias rushed in to hit the dog before it could attack Doloris as she lay on the ground. Startled the dog ran a short distance away, watching there movements closely. Elias helped Doloris to here feet.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah I think so, you?"


"Leg's bleeding but I think it's ok," Elias said putting his arm around her She helped him limp the rest of the way to the car. The dog kept following them from a distance, so Elias kept the stick ready in case it attacked. They barely got the door shut when the dog charged, the car shook from the impact.

Shaking Elias barely managed to get the keys into the ignition before it charged again.

"That dog is loco. Do you think it could be rabid?" Doloris asked in concern.

"I hope not but I'd better get the bite looked at just in case. I'll drop you off at your house then go to the ER."


"No I'm coming with you."

"You'll get in trouble and I don't want that."

"I don't care I want to be with you."

"I know but it has to be this way. Look do you really want to explain to your parents why you snuck out of the house."


"You're right," Doloris said giving in. "Call me as soon as you can." She got out and watched him drive away. She hoped he would be ok.


"Elliot you know you shouldn't be out here." Adam scolded.

"I thought it would be ok in the garden."

"Well it's not," Adam contradicted "What would you do if that dog came into the yard?"

"I'd stay in the gated area. It couldn't get me in here."

"Yes it could, Elliot. Dogs can dig and jump."

"But Dad or you would have time to come and help. It takes time for a dog to dig under a fence. This fence is high so I doubt it could jump it," Elliot reasoned. "Besides I'm bored being inside and hearing Doloris crying is getting on my nerves."

They had heard on the news about Elias being attacked by a dog when he stopped to fix a flat. Animal control was out there now searching for it and had warned all citizens of Appaloosa Plains to stay indoors until they had captured it.

"Please can't I just stay out here?" Elliot pleaded.

"No kiddo afraid not. It's not safe."

Later that day the news reported the stray had been caught and being tested for rabies. It would be a rare case being so late in the year but they couldn't rule it out. This of course touched off another torrent of tears from Doloris.


"I shouldn't have ... told him ... to meet me," Doloris said between sobs. "It's my fault. All my fault."

"Honey it's not your fault he stopped there to fix his tire," Peter said holding her tight as she sobbed.



 

"You don't understand," Doloris said pulling away from him she continued "I was sneaking out that night and meeting Elias on the other side of the woods. We were planning on going to the concert. That dog came out of nowhere and blocked my path. Oh Daddy I was so scared." Her words dissolved into tears and all Peter could do was hold her as her body shook. She continued to tell him everything that had happened that night. Peter knew he should be angry with her for sneaking out but he just couldn't.

"Honey go wash your face. We're going to the hospital to check on Elias."


"Oh Daddy thank you," Doloris said giving him a hug before getting up.



While Doloris checked on Elias, Peter found out from Kanoa, Elias' father that the dog did have rabies and that he was going to need to have the shots. Peter couldn't help but wonder how a dog could have gotten rabies so late in the year. It didn't make sense. Peter's attention was diverted to a news bulletin on the TV in the waiting room.


"According to the police the stray dog was released from the Science Lab after receiving an experimental rabies virus that had been engineered in the lab. The police are looking for Galen Redmond who they suspect smuggled the dog from the lab. If anyone has any information as to his whereabouts they are urged to the call the number at the bottom of the screen."


"You work at the lab. How could you let this happen? The doctors don't even know if the rabies shot will work because the virus is mutated."

Peter looked at his old friend in sympathy and compassion. "Kanoa I'll do whatever I can to find the antidote. I'm going to the lab and if I have to I'll break into Galen's lab to find it."

Peter left Doloris sitting in the waiting room with Elias' family. On his way to the lab he called Jean to meet him there to assist him with Galen's notes and experiments. Time was crucial and he needed all the help he could get if he was going to find the vaccine in time. He wouldn't let his baby girl go through the heartbreak of losing someone she loved if there was something he could do about it.

Jean left Adam in charge to make sure everyone was up and ready for school the following day.

 

5 comments:

  1. What the heck!? Was definitely not expecting that AT ALL. But, I totally knew Doloris was going to sneak out. Maybe she shouldn't have snuck out in the first place. She could have backtracked and avoided it. Hope that Peter and Jean can find a cure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bad decision all around to sneak out. Keep reading you'll find out this is just a distraction for something else. A certain someone is plotting and about to strike.

      Delete
  2. O_O Mutated rabies virus? O_O
    Jesus... LOL. I really hope Elias is okay.
    What a crazy scientist. I suppose this is karma because Doloris wasn't supposed to sneak out? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karma is a bitch sometimes LOL
      The scientist is really crazy in more ways then one.
      Poor Elias he really got the worst end of the stick in this situation.
      There's more going on then just a crazy experiment on the loose.

      Delete