Thursday, April 14, 2016

4.2 What's Your Name?


After a month of being at university and still not participating in any activities Gwen felt duty bound to help her cousin have a little fun. She came home one afternoon announcing "you're coming with me."

Jerking her arm away Kimberly shook her head "I have a lot of work to do...."

"Not tonight," Gwen put her hands on her hips considering her no nonsense cousin "I know you are at least two assignments ahead in all your classes. Even that essay you've been working on is half written and it's not even due for another two weeks."

"But but" she stammered trying to come up with an excuse so her cousin let her stay home.


"You promised me you'd have fun remember?" Gwen pulled her out of her chair "I'm not taking no for an answer. You're coming with me."

"Where are we going?" Kimberly asked following her cousin upstairs. She watched as Gwen opened her closet and started to examine her clothes.

Frowning Gwen asked "don't you have any party clothes?"

"What's wrong with the clothes I have?"

"They're just so .... boring" Gwen scrunched up her face in distaste "you'll just have to wear something of mine."

***


An hour later Kimberly walked into the Sorority house behind Gwen who seemed to know her way around. As she expected after a few minutes Gwen forgot all about her in favor of her friends. 
Finding herself abandoned Kimberly wandered through the house alone.

Piano music drifted through the house. Drawn by it she climbed the stairs to find the boy she met at orientation playing to a small group of half drunk students. She tried to stay out of sight knowing how she had embarrassed him when she introduced herself.

Someone she had seen occasionally at the house visiting Gwen came up and grabbed her around the waist. "Let's dance pretty lady" he half slurred his words as he breathed heavily in her face. She tried to extricate his arms from around her. It was too late as he twirled her around causing her to knock into the boy at the piano. She landed hard on her bottom to the drunken delight of her companion who was doubled over in laughter.

"Are you alright?" the green eyed boy asked holding his hand out to help her up.


She took his hand mumbling "thank you."

Looking at his feet he shoved his hands in his pockets mumbling "you're welcome." He turned to gather his things.

Kimberly watched him a for a moment unsure what she should do. With tentative fingers she touched his arm. "I ... I really enjoyed your music."

He looked up startled as if her hand jolted his mind from some place else. A timid grin spread across his face as he stood up straight "you did?" he asked pleased.

Nodding she took a step forward "it was beautiful." She looked down fiddling with her finger nails "I always wanted to learn."

He looked at her in surprise "I didn't think you'd be interested in anything other than science."

She cocked her head "like you're not supposed to have any other interest other than music?"


"You got me there," he nodded looking her straight in the eyes "I could teach you if you'd like."

Running her fingers along the keyboard she slowly nodded her head "I'd like that. My cousin is always after me to have a little fun."

"I doubt taking piano lessons count as fun," he pointed out.

"All she'll see is a cute guy...." as soon as the words escaped her lips Kimberly wanted to slink into a hole and hide.

His cheeks reddened as he stammered "you you think I'm cute" he repeated his green eyes dancing with amusement. She made a small strangled cry in her throat as she moved to walk away. "Hey don't go," he said reaching out and touching her hand "I think your pretty too." He watched as crimson rose up her neck and across her cheeks leaving her blues eyes sparkling bright. "I'd be honored to give you piano lessons" he added trying to defuse the suddenly awkward situation.

"I'd like that" her voice barely above a whisper. She turned and fled running down the stairs.

***


Without looking back she thought she heard him call after her. She had only one thought in her head. To get away before she said anything else embarrassing. She knew her way around a telescope but when it came to boys she was clueless.

It wasn't until she arrived at home that she realized she still didn't know the boys name. "I'm such an idiot," she mumbled flopping into a chair. She heard soft laughter in her head "how much do you know?" she demanded.

"Not much sweetie," Heath replied "I know enough to know you're less than happy with how the party went."

"It's not only that Daddy" she moaned "there's this boy and I made a complete idiot of myself."

"Did you meet the same boy from orientation" Heath asked.

"Yeah what do I do? I don't even know his name" she felt tears welling up behind her eyes.

"First calm down. It's not the end of the world" Heath told her his voice soothing "Second contact your cousin to ask him for his name or his phone number."


She gasped in shock "he must think I'm a real idiot."

"I doubt that" Heath told her "maybe a little absent minded...."

"You'll be with me next time we meet won't you?" Kimberly asked hoping he'd say yes but...

"Absolutely not" Heath told her "you don't need to take your Dad with you on a date."

"It's piano lessons not a date," she protested.

"It's a boy you like," he refuted "you'll figure it out."

"What if I do or say something stupid?" she asked remembering what she had already said and done.

"If he comes again and endures your mistakes then I'd say he's a keeper," Heath told her "relationships aren't easy but you'll figure it out. Now contact your cousin before she leaves or you'll never find out."

"Daddy I love you" she felt his presence fade from her mind before she reached out to Gwen. She sounded a bit more than buzzed but Gwen said she'd find the green eyed boy. Sighing in relief Kimberly made her way upstairs and called it a night.

***


A week passed and still the green eyed boy hadn't contacted her. Kimberly was positive that Gwen hadn't spoken to the boy despite her assurances that she had. For all she knew Gwen may have approached the wrong green eyed boy if she had been able to decipher eye color in her drunken state. That brought a whole other kind of concern to mind. Was her cousin drinking too much? Should she say anything? Her line of thought was shattered when her phone rang and an unfamiliar number flashed across her screen. Hesitantly she said "hello" to whoever was on the end.

"Kimberly?" a familiar male voice asked "Kimberly Van Winkle," he repeated as if providing her last name would help clear up his identity.

"Yes. Who is this?" she asked her voice firmer than it was earlier.

"Finally" his voice sounded triumphant "I've been asking everyone if they knew you and if they did how to contact you."


"Didn't my cousin give you my number at the party?" she asked 

"Was she supposed to? If she was she didn't; although I left right after you did so maybe she tried but I wasn't there." He was talking fast trying not to become discouraged. "Are you still interested in piano lessons?"

The corners of her mouth quirked up "you went through all this effort just to give me piano lessons."

"Of course" he said with a smile "I had to see you again." After a moment of awkward silence he asked "when did you want to meet up?"

"How about now?" she said excitement building in her voice.

***


She paced the living room floor waiting for him to arrive. All the time spent on the phone she had forgotten to ask his name. He was still just the cute green eyed boy that sometimes occupied her dreams. A knock on the front door had her heart beating at an astounding rate in her chest. "Hi" she said upon seeing him standing on her porch.

"Hi" he grinned at her "where would you like me to set up?"

"Oh" she stepped aside so he could come in "how about here?" she led him into her study space.

"This is a nice place," he smiled at her "a lot quieter then the dorm where I live."

"Our dad's picked it out for us" she explained "Gwen hates it."


"I imagine she'd like it more if she could party here," he said as he set up his keyboard. She watched him for a while. His hands were so strong and his fingers so delicate they could produce beautiful music. "Can I ask you a question?" the boy asked looking at her and smiling.

"Sure," she smiled back.

"Why did you runaway that night?"

Looking down she mumbled "I was...I....don't know. Scared I guess."

"Of me?" he asked astonished.

Shrugging "I'm not very good with people. I can tell you the periodic table, explain how a telescope works but I've" she gave him a shy look through her eyelashes "never had a boy other than my dad's tell me I was pretty."



"Really" he said surprised. He reached out and touched her cheek when the color deepened giving her a rosie complexion. "You really are pretty. I...I feel sorry that no one ever told you that before." He sat back on his heals saying "all those boys were idiots."

She lifted her eyes and stared at him. She had never been drawn to someone like him before. She had her share of crushes in the past. All of which had broken her heart in the end. None of them were as hot as this boy in front of her. None of those boys had been able to make her blush by the way they looked at her or make her stomach flutter. "Can I ask you a something?"

"Anything" he said getting up to tune the keyboard.

"Whats your name?" she blurted out biting her lip as soon as the words left her mouth.

Th sound of his deep amused laughter sent shivers of delight down her spine. "My name" he almost choked "I guess we kind of skipped that part didn't we? I'm Malachi Hale."

"It's good to finally meet you," she said giggling at how mundane and normal it all sounded.

***


An hour later while Kimberly was getting drinks in the kitchen Gwen took her aside. "He's cute," she grinned at her while her eyes danced with curiosity. "Will you need the double bed tonight?"

"What? No!" she cried shaking her head "we aren't to that point yet."

"What are you waiting for?" Gwen asked "a guy like that won't stay single long. You should jump on that now before it's too late."

Frowning Kimberly moved towards the door "I'm not into casual flings..."

"You should give it a try" Gwen giggled "it's a lot of fun. You're only young once."

"I know," she agreed while hesitating to add "but it's not all fun and games. What if you get pregnant?"

"I've got it covered," Gwen brushed her off losing her grin.


"Gwen please I'm worried about you" Kimberly said reaching out towards her cousin "you party too much. What if you forget or your precautions fail?"

"I said I've got it covered," Gwen snapped at her "the only thing you have to worry about is your reputation as a prude." With those unkind words she turned and left.

Staring after her Kimberly wondered what happened to the little she grew up with. The one who cared about herself and those around her. She didn't know this sex crazed, self-centered flirt that had replaced her. 

Going back into the room where Malachi was playing the piano. She smiled at the boy who looked shyly over at her. She set his drink on a nearby table wondering if he had expectations for the night. Did he expect her to hop into bed with him like Gwen implied? If he did then he was going to be disappointed. Would he want to see her again if she didn't fulfill his expectations?

He gave her a quizzical look as he reached for his drink. "Is something wrong?" he asked.

"No nothing" she shook her head "I just had a misunderstanding with my cousin. That's all. No big deal."

A frown creased his forehead "are you sure?" he asked sensing something else was on her mind.


"I'm positive," she attempted to smile at him. "So what song were you playing?" she asked trying to change the subject. She watched as his cheeks grew red before he looked down at his hands.

"Did you like it?" he asked

"It was .... hauntingly beautiful," she laughed a little "it kind of made me think of someone who had lost their one true love and they felt their presence no matter where they went. It was beautiful. It was sad. There was hope that in the end they would be reunited."

"That's it! OMG that's exactly it" he smiled at her excitement making his voice louder then normal. 
"You're the first person who has ever picked up on the subtle nuances I've tried to put into the song." He fingered the keyboard "It's a work in progress and until tonight I hadn't been able to work out what was missing."

"It was perfect," she told him not wanting him to feel she didn't appreciate him sharing it with her.

"It's far from perfect but it's getting there" he placed his fingers on the piano "listen to this." He played for a moment then stopped "now listen to this."

It was the same tune she heard earlier except this time it had the haunting ethereal quality the first rendition lacked. "I hear it now" she told him "I like the second version best. It reminds me of my parents and all the things they had to endure to be together."


"I used to think my professors were wrong when they said I hadn't found my muse yet. Now I know what they were talking about." He looked at her in a mixture of awe and hope "I think I've found my muse."

"Oh that's great," she said wondering why he was staring at her like he was.

"It is, isn't? It's wonderful" he got up and grabbed her hands "can I come back? I haven't felt this creative in a long time."

"Of course you can," she nodded "I can clear out this room so that it won't be so cluttered and I can study elsewhere."

"No don't," he cried causing her to jump "you don't understand. You're my muse. You don't have to change anything unless you can't study with me playing." He looked at the clock "oh wow I didn't realize it was so late. I'm sorry. I should go." he moved to pack up his things.

"Malachi" she said in a low timid voice "if you're coming back, why don't you leave your stuff here?" She looked up at him her cheeks burning "unless you need it...I just thought..."

"Thank you," he said getting to his feet and pulling her close "I'll see tomorrow then. I'll call to let you know when I'm coming."

***


After Malachi left Kimberly gathered the dirty dishes before going up to bed. The house was silent and she assumed she was home alone. As she walked upstairs she was shocked to hear the sounds coming from Gwen's room. Even if she had wanted the double bed for the night it would have been occupied. She shook her head in dismay as she walked into her bathroom. Smiling at her reflection "he thinks I'm pretty," she told her reflection "he says I'm his muse."

Leaving the bathroom she couldn't deny she was looking forward to the next time she saw him. She grabbed her ear buds in an attempt to block out the noises from the other room that for some reason seemed twice as loud and annoying then usual. As she lay in the dark waiting for sleep to take her she was engulfed in a feeling of longing she hadn't experienced before. She wanted to experience having someone wrap their arms around her and hold her tight. Her mind drifted to the hug Malachi had given her. The scent of his after shave. The feel of his arms as they held her. She felt both vulnerable and safe at the same time.

Her stomach fluttered each time their hands touched. How their eyes would lock and her knees would feel weak. Several times that evening she found herself staring at his mouth and wondering how wonderful it would be to have them pressed up against hers. She'd look away each time embarrassed at the thoughts and feelings that were flooding her senses. She fell asleep thinking of the green eyed boy with the delicate fingers that played music that spoke to her soul.






4 comments:

  1. This was precious! All of their interactions are so sweet and shy, but at the same time real. I think Kimberly finally found someone she can really relate to. It's too bad that Gwen is living on the edge now, though. But at the same time, she's an adult who has to make these decisions for herself. If she has to make mistakes, she has to make them by herself for herself, and no one can really prevent her. I think they'll both figure out their lives eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying writing for Kimberly. She's such a mix of highly intelligent young woman and little girl who still needs reassurance. She isn't very experienced and awkward interacting with people. Malachi is very talented but he doesn't have much experience either. His life has been focused on music not on making friends. They'll learn together as long as they don't let others convince them they need to do things they're not ready for. Gwen is all about having fun. Maybe it's the result of having over protective parents that she's taking advantage of the new found freedom to do whatever she wants. Right now she's a real wild child. We'll see what happens. Thanks for reading and commenting it means a lot!

      Delete
  2. Awww Kim is cute. I wonder what's up with Gwen. Is she traumatized by what happened to her in the past with her grandfather? I hope she doesn't do anything that she will regret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim is a sweetie. Gwen is a taking advantage of her new found freedom.She wishes she could convince Kim to join her. But you're right there is something bothering her. You'll find out more and the answer is actually in the chapter I just posted. Poor Girl :( Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete