Sunday, June 15, 2014

Generation 1, Chapter 44


Jean sat in the lab contemplating the problem of Windy. She just couldn't understand why Windy wouldn't or couldn't adjust her attitude. Jean had hoped after being grounded Windy would have had time to think about her actions and how her actions only made things worse. As far as Jean could tell, Windys' attitude had only gone from bad to worse It seemed she went out of her way to argue about anything and everything. She treated everyone with contempt, including Adam.

Sighing deeply, Jean continued to review the past few weeks since Windy and Adam had been caught breaking curfew. Adam, she knew regretted his actions unfortunately Jean knew he would allow himself to be persuaded into doing it again. He was just too compliant for his own good and couldn't say no. She realized that was the same flaw Peter had, he also couldn't say no. Jean smiled to herself, she loved Peter's large heartedness but she hoped she could influence him enough to set boundaries and realize he didn't have to give until it hurt. That was the trait that Vallari took advantage of until Peter couldn't take it anymore. Jean feared that Adam was being led down the same path with Windy. The question Jean thought, was who was pulling the strings, Windy or Vallari?

Jean reluctantly pulled up the application for Starch Military School and entered Windy's information. Jean hovered over the submit button but she knew ultimately this was the best solution. It would give Windy a chance to break free from Vallari's influence, if that's what she wanted. It gave her time to develop interests of her own and gave Adam the opportunity to know what life would be like without Windy. The younger kids would be free from Windy's taunts and torments. Feeling confident with her decision, Jean pressed the submit button.

Smiling in relief, Jean felt better knowing a decision had been made. Now all she had to do was explain to everyone else. Jean knew that she would have Peter's support; although she knew he would feel guilty for having not made the decision himself. She would be the bad guy in this and she was fine with that. She knew that Adam would be upset and it may be better in the long run if he believed the decision was hers and not his Dads.


Windy's acceptance letter arrived the day of Elliot's birthday party. It was welcomed with mixed feelings, the younger kids were all excited but Adam was sad and a little upset. If Adam was honest with himself he would realize he was furious. He felt that Windy was being punished because he couldn't keep her out of trouble. It was his fault that she didn't understand how her actions effected others but it was his responsibility to teach her. She was alive because of him and he had failed her.


Peter saw the turmoil Adam was going through and tried to talk to him.   Adam refused to talk to anyone; especially his parents, whom he blamed for sending Windy away. How could they do this to him? Adam sulked the entire party, not even Windy could cheer him up, not even when she confessed that she wanted to go. Adam refused to believe her, feeling she was only telling him what she thought he wanted to hear.


Peter tried to focus on enjoying Elliot's birthday, knowing it wasn't fair to Elliot to be so wrapped up in Adam's sorrow. Peter knew Windys leaving would be difficult but he wasn't prepared for Adam to reject him. Peter knew he had to share in the backlash of Adam's hurt feelings when he refused to let Jean take the blame for sending Windy to Starch Military school. It was as much his decision as hers and he refused to let her stand alone. Peter hoped that Adam would forgive him and realize this was all for the good of the family. Until that day, Peter would smile and enjoy the moments in all his kids lives, despite the heartache he carried inside for the pain Adam was enduring.

 
Elliot was too young to realize much of what was going on around him. He was excited to be bigger and old enough to go to school like everyone else. He was no longer a baby, even though everyone told him he was still the baby of the family. That wouldn't change unless Mom and Dad had another baby. So Elliot wished for a baby brother. When he opened his eyes from making his wish, he noticed an old woman across the room. 'I wonder who she is' Elliot thought to himself and he wondered why no one was talking to her. He felt sorry for her because she looked so sad and lonely.
 


"Hi I'm Elliot" he introduced himself to the old lady. "Who are you?"

"Leave me alone" the old lady responded in an irritated tone intently staring across the room.

Elliot looked around curious as to who or what she was looking at. Seeing his parents were in the direction of her gaze he thought maybe his mother had invited her to his party. "Do you know my mom" he asked.

"Yes" came the terse reply.

"Would you like a piece of my birthday cake? Mom made it and it's real good" Elliot offered.

"Sure kid go get me a piece of cake" Vallari told Elliot and returned to staring at Peter and Jean. Vallari was furious that Windy was being sent to Military school. She knew whose idea it was to send her away, Peter's new wife. Peter would never give up on any of his kids and send them away, not even Windy, Vallari was sure of it. It was all that woman's fault. Ever since she came along, Vallari had less and less influence in the lives of Peter and the kids. With Windy's help she had some control over Adam and through Adam, she was still able to hurt Peter. She enjoyed manipulating people, using them to twist and hurt her targets, while she sat back and watched. She enjoyed the chaos she caused and knew someone else was getting blamed. But now she was losing her puppet and her puppet was happy to be going.

Vallari needed a new puppet, someone young and naive. Windy was perfect, she had been naive of the ways of the world and lapped up what Vallari taught her. But now Vallari's reputation preceded her everywhere she went. She didn't have any friends and most of the kids in the neighborhood were scared of her.

"Uh, here's your cake" Elliot said at her side.

"Thank you" Vallari said smiling sweetly at Elliot, thinking to herself that she may have just found her next puppet.


After school the following day, Adam was moping in his room. Feeling depressed, knowing that Windy had left sometime that morning while he was at school. He had wanted to stay and see her off but his parents made him go to school instead. How he hated them for doing that him. He felt tears of frustration stinging his eyes and he balled his hands into fists as a wave of rage passed through him. When he opened his eyes he spied an envelope on his dresser with his name on it. Picking it up, he tore it open to find a letter from Windy.

Dearest Adam,
Please forgive me for asking your parents to make sure you weren't here when I left this morning. I know it was difficult for you but it would have been far worse for me if you had been here. Please believe me that this is what I wanted. It was the only way I knew how to get away from Vallari. She was asking me to do things that would have hurt someone. I thought she was my friend but all she wanted was someone to spy for her and inform her of what your father was doing and how he was feeling.

There were many times when I wondered if she were responsible for your fathers illness. I'm consumed with guilt, knowing that I may have been her instrument she used to deliver her poison. I never wanted to hurt you but I know I have. I'm so very tired of being pulled apart and used by Vallari. I didn't know how to stand up to Vallari and was so scared to admit that I could have caused your fathers illness that I was afraid to ask for help. I know your father tried to help me, he kept asking me why I did the things I did. He wanted so much to help me, to understand why and I pushed him away. Thinking that I wasn't worthy of his concern. All I could think was, I could have killed him and I hated myself for it and here he was offering to help me. So I thought I would do everything possible so that they would have no choice but to send me away. My only regret in following this course of action was involving you and making you choose between me and your parents.

I love that you thought so much of me that you would risk disappointing your parents but please don't blame them for sending me away. Maybe things could have been different if I had confided in Peter when I had the chance. But I was afraid of the consequences, of the things Vallari would have done. She truly frightens me. Promise me you will be careful and that you will protect you father from that evil woman. Maybe crazy is a better word but she's obsessed with Peter and causing him pain. No one is safe and everyone's a target if she can use them to inflict pain and suffering. Do not underestimate her now that she's old, she's still dangerous and she needs someone to replace me. I'm concerned she may have her sights on Elliot. Keep him safe.

Adam you are and have always been my best friend. Maybe one day I will be worthy of your friendship and love. Tell your dad I'm sorry. I'll keep in touch.

Your BFF,

Windy



Having read Windy's letter through a couple of times Adam went outside to get some air. Adam was deeply saddened that he had been oblivious to Windy's predicament. He was glad that his father had sensed she needed help and had tried to help. He felt better knowing that Windy was where she felt she could be safe and free from Vallari. Adam was troubled when he noticed Vallari walk across the road to talk to Elliot who was busy setting up his lemonade stand for tomorrow. Adam wondered what she wanted and recalled Windy's warning about Vallari using Elliot as her new spy.

Adam was determined not to let that happen. "Elliot it's time to go inside."

Elliot looked over his shoulder and nodded that he heard. However he didn't want to appear rude to the sad old lady who just came over to talk to him.

Noticing that Elliot still hadn't gone inside Adam decided to walk over and join them. "Elliot it's getting late and if you plan on getting up early to open up your lemonade stand you need to get some sleep."

"I know but I didn't want to be rude" Elliot explained.

"It's alright deary, listen to your brother." Vallari told Elliot.

It started to rain as Elliot left and as soon as he was inside, Adam confronted Vallari. "Leave my brother alone" he demanded.

"I haven't done anything to him."

"I know you. You never act nice unless you want something, so leave him alone. He's just a little kid."

"Or what? Are you man enough to stop me?" Vallari scoffed.

"I won't let you get your claws into him like you did with Windy. It's your fault she felt she couldn't stay here."

Vallari laughed at his audacity and said "Windy's a weak little girl who didn't appreciate me. If she would have listened to me she would've been in control and you would never have known what she was up to."

"You're not as smart as you think you are. You just hurt people and use them until they have nothing left. I won't let you do that to Elliot."

"What can you do to stop me?" Vallari laughed adding "Your as weak and pathetic as your father."


"My father was strong enough to kick you to the curb. That's what makes you so mad, isn't? That he was able to see you for what you are, an evil manipulative woman, who only cares about herself."

"How dare you say those things about your own mother! I gave you life and I can take it back."

"Are you threatening me? Would you really kill your own son?" Adam asked in disbelief. Up to this point he had somehow believed that Vallari wouldn't actually physically hurt him. Why he was surprised he wasn't sure, after all she had already almost killed her ex-husband but her own flesh and blood? Was she really that crazy? Maybe he should have heeded Windy's warning to not underestimate her and to take her as extremely dangerous.
 
Vallari knew she had hit a nerve when Adam turned away. She hoped he was worried and would continually look over his shoulder, wondering how and when she would strike. She felt empowered when she was able to watch her victims squirm. However Vallari was starting to lose control of her emotions and saying things she wouldn't normally blurt out. She should never have been so blunt as to threaten him, now he knows she's gunning for him. Then she smirked, knowing that was actually a good thing. If Peter was focused on protecting Adam then she would be free to redirect her energies towards her ultimate goal, Elliot. Then her revenge would be complete.
 

 

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that Windy took the time to write Adam that letter, it really helped since he wouldn't let anyone talk to him. Her warning about Elliot was so smart, Windy surprised me there, but I suppose since she knew first hand what it looked like to fall into Vallari's grasp, she recognized the signs right away. Excited to see what all happens with that, if Vallari will be successful up until the day she leaves the world, or if her plans will be thwarted now that Adam's eyes are finally opened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windy has her moments. The letter helped Adam feel better about her leaving but whether she chooses to change her ways, remains to be seen. Elliot is just a sweet kid and doesn't know anything about Vallari and her relationship to his family. Vallari has a plan for Elliot and its one that she had wanted Windy to help her with. Windy didn't want to do it so she figured out how to not be a part of it. Windy only warned Adam that Vallari has her sight on Elliot but her plan is much more than a replacement. Adam will keep a watchful eye on Elliot but he doesn't know what to look out for.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Vallari definitely has something cooking and its not good.

      Delete
  3. Vallari! Just when I thought it was all over. Seriously woman. When well she be gone? I stand by what i said previously. I think they should all just move. I'm glad that windy was mature enough to put her feelings out there to Adam, its definitely not an easy thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vallari will be around until the end of the generation I'm afraid. She is one messed up obsessed woman. The chances of Peter moving is zero to none. He's at the top of his career and the head of his department and he has a flexible work schedule that allows him to spend a lot of time with his family. He's not going to give that up to move.
      Windy had a moment of clarity in regards to her actions and she does have some feelings of guilt regarding her dealings with Vallari. Only time will tell if she'll take the opportunity to change or if she'll let herself be manipulated by someone else. You'll find out more about this in gen 2.

      Delete