Sunday, June 1, 2014

Generation 1, Chapter 42



Adam wondered how he had allowed himself to get into such a horrible mess.  He knew when he agreed to take Windy to the Midnight exhibit at the art museum, he was risking getting caught. How could he have been so stupid as to have listened to her? He had promised Jean that he would be home early and she had nothing to worry about when he explained he wanted to take Windy out for suppper. Now how was he going to explain this, when this was exactly why Jean wanted to refuse but agreed eventually feeling she could trust him. These thoughts along with others scittered through his mind, while he waited for the police officer to calm Windy down enough to put her into the cruiser. He thought back to  how this evening began.

Adam had arranged to meet up with Windy after they were both done with the after school jobs. Adam planned on taking Windy out for supper to show her how sorry he was for going out with Janelle. During dinner Adam attempted to explain why but Windy refused to listen, preferring to make Adam squirm.

"You went out with Janelle because you think she's prettier than me."

"That's not true" Adam objected "It's just that I didn't know how to turn her down without hurting her feelings."

"Yeah likely story" Windy said sarcasticly "How hard is it to say no?" Windy demanded eyeing Adam over her dinner plate.

Adam squirmed under her scrutiny, wondering what it would take to make it up to her. "Windy please" Adam begged "It's not as easy as it sounds. I couldn't just say no after Mom told her I might be interested. You know my parents have been requesting we see other people." Adam opened his mouth to continue but quickly closed it after glancing at Windy.

Windy was glaring at him. She hated that Adam's parents were insisting they spend time apart. "Of course you being the 'good son' listened to your insepid step-mother." Windy pushed away from the table in disgust saying "When are you going to stand up for yourself? Get a backbone."

"Windy wait" Adam hurried to catch up to her. "Please tell me what you want. What can I do to make this up to you?" Adam asked knowing he was asking for trouble when he saw Windy smile in triumph.

"You can take me to the art museum."

"Ok we can go there tomorrow" Adam suggested.

"No, you'll take me now" Windy demanded.

"Tomorrow" Adam insisted knowing it was too late to go there.

"I want to see the midnight exhibit and you want me to be happy, right?"

"But I ... we" Adam stammered "I told Mom we would be home early."

Windy rolled her eyes, shaking her head in disgust "What did I just say about getting a backbone? What's the matter with you? Can't you just let go and have some fun?"

"There's nothing wrong with me. I like having my parents trust me."

"Of course you do. But you've go to decide whose more important, me or your parents?"

"Why does it have to be either or? Why can't you just do things their way? They only want what's best for you." Adam tried to persuade Windy to his way of thinking to no avail.

Windy laughed knowing she was pushing Adam to his limit and she enjoyed seeing his discomfort. In the end Windy won and overrode Adam's better judgement. Now he nervously contemplates what he's going to tell his parents as he stares out the window of the police car.





When the officer dropped them off at the house, Adam hoped it would be his Dad who scolded them for breaking curfew. Unfortunately it was Jean who was more strict and not quite the push over Peter could be at times.

"What's the big deal? So what we stayed out late! It's not like we were hurting anyone" Windy stated in a confrontational tone.

"Listen up young lady. I'm sick and tired of your attitude and total disregard for the rules."

Rolling her eyes Windy responded with "Whatever".

"Is that it? No apologies for being late? For keeping us up with worry not knowing where you were or if you were safe!"

"Why should you care? It's not like your my mom. I don't have to listen to you."

"That's it, I don't want to here another word! You're grounded."

Windy simply laughed in derision "Yeah right. Like you could enforce it. You can't even make me come home in time for curfew. Good luck with keeping me grounded."

Adam was appalled at the way Windy goaded Jean into grounding her, like she wanted to be punished. He watched Windy stalk off towards her room not looking back.

"Well Adam, what do you have to say for yourself?" Jean asked interrupting his thoughts.

"Err" Adam frantically tried to organize his thoughts but all he could come up with was "I'm really sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen."

"I'm glad to know that but you promised you would be home early. This is what I was afraid of. What happened?"

Adam stared at his feet and shrugged "Windy wanted to see the midnight exhibit at the museum. She wouldn't take no for an answer."

"So you naturally had to go with her" Jean scoffed.

"Yes I mean no. I don't know. I just wanted her to be happy and to forgive me for going out with Janelle."

"So breaking curfew and disobeying your parents was the only way to make her happy and forgive you? Did it work?"

"Not really. I guess I wasn't thinking. It sounds so stupid put that way" Adam confessed.

"You used very poor judgment tonight Adam."

"I know and I'm sorry."

"But what about next time? Will you let Windy talk you into something else? Will you be able to stand up to her and tell her no?"

Adam glanced at Jean and shook his head, realizing he didn't know the answer. He didn't know what he would do next time.

Jean nodded to herself knowing his silence was answer enough "I see. Adam you know I have to ground you too, right?"

Sighing heavily Adam nodded in acceptance and trudged off to his room.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, poor Adam. Hmm, Windy may not have had a teenage party, but this might be bad enough that she might get sent away? XD
    I know for now Jean just grounded her and Adam, and I know that's why Windy kept throwing insults at Jean, to get her to be even angrier. Guess I'll just have to see what happens. :)

    Oh, and I finally clicked the "Follow" button ROFL, I kept forgetting. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam's too nice for his own good. Windy would do better if she would just tell Jean or Peter what's going on between her and Vallari. But instead she feels the only option she has is to be sent away. Jean is concerned about the effect that Windy is having on the younger kids. Now that Adam is proving incapable of standing up to Windy, Jean feels something needs to be done soon.
      Thanks for following - it took me forever to find the follower option for blogger. So it hasn't been there long.

      Delete