Sunday, May 31, 2015

Generation 2, Chapter 40 - Monte Vista



Percy watched Beverly while she worked unaware of his presence. Clearing his throat he asked "what are you doing?"

Jumping a little at the sound of his voice she turned "I'm working on an alternative substance to blood so that Adam won't be tempted to feed."

"Is that even possible?" Percy wondered aloud.

"Through the conversations Ambrogio has had with Heath it's possible. There's been vegetarian vampires in the past."She shrugged "I hope it's possible but I'm missing one key ingredient..."

"What ingredient?" Percy asked hoping he'd be of use in acquiring it.


"From what I understand I need the fruit from the plasma plant. It's what ancient vampires used to sustain themselves when they were being hunted and couldn't feed openly," Beverly explained "if we could find this plant we could grow it and Adam wouldn't have to feed."

"That sounds like the best option we have," Percy said excitement building in his voice. "Tell me where to find it and I'll go get it."

"It's in Monte Vista," Beverly said turning towards him "it's difficult to find. I should go with."

Shaking his head Percy said "no absolutely not. Adam would kill me if something happened to you. Besides your needed here...."

Staring at Percy for a moment Beverly said "I'm going," refusing to be swayed from her objective. 


"It's too dangerous," Percy was at a loss as to how to convince her. She was as stubborn as she was beautiful. "If Ambrogio knows about the plasma plant then so does Alessandro. He's sure to have people in place in case we go there."

Wiping away tears Beverly nodded agreement "we need someone Alessandro would never suspect. Someone he wouldn't dream would ever help us."

"The only person I know who fits that description is my mom," Heath said from the doorway as both adults jumped. "I don't want her anywhere near my father. She's done enough damage. I won't give her another chance to hurt him. Find another way."

"What if she's changed?" Beverly asked hoping Heath could be persuaded to change his mind.

"No," Heath said "the last time I saw her she was being sent to jail for breaking the restraining order. All she's done is try to hurt me and my dad. She almost had him killed. Why the hell do you think we live in Dragon Valley? The dragons won't let her in town. She won't help and I don't want her help." Crossing his arms Heath demanded "find another way."


"I don't understand why you won't even consider it..." Beverly started only to be squashed by Heath's angry glare.

"No your the one who doesn't understand," He yelled "no one understands except Kyle. He's like me. We both have a parent whose sole goal in life is to destroy the other, their best friend and life giver. My mom is an Imaginary Friend like Kyle's father. You remember I told you I was half IF when you first came here. Windy won't help. She can't it's biologically impossible for her."

"I'm sorry," Beverly said quietly I was grasping at straws. We need to obtain that plasma plant." 

"I'll get it," Heath told her "he's my dad."

"No absolutely not," Beverly said repeating the same words Percy used on her. "Your father wouldn't want you putting your life in danger to save him."


"I'm not asking. I'm telling," Heath was adamant standing with his arms crossed. "Even if you forbid me I'm still going."

"I'll go with him," Kyle spoke from behind them. He was carrying his and Elliot's baby girl "we're probably the only ones who can." Turning to Heath he said "you'll need to show me how turn into toy form so that we can move fast and avoid detection."


"Uncle Elliot won't like this," Heath said looking past Kyle into the hallway where he could see Elliot staring at them.

Handing Gwen to Heath, Kyle went to soothe the feelings of his partner.

***


"Tell me I didn't hear you correctly?" Elliot pleaded "tell me your not going to leave me and our daughter." He stopped unable to talk over the lump in his throat.

Blinking back tears Kyle gathered Elliot into his arms. "I wouldn't go if there was another way. Asking Windy would be like asking my dad for help. They'd both turn on us with a blink of an eye. I'm sorry babe but you know better than all of us the struggle Adam is having. You know it won't be long before he can't control the hunger. He'll feed and there won't be anyway of going back after that."


"I know," Elliot pulled back to look deep into Kyle's blue eyes "I wish there was another way."

"Me too," Kyle said as he kissed Elliot for what might be the last time "take care of our baby."


Nodding Elliot looked up, his green eyes brimming with tears "promise me you'll come back. That we'll get married and ..."

Elliot's voice was cut off by Kyle kissing him again "I wish I could promise all those things. You and I both know this trip will be dangerous."


"I know...I just need something to hang on to while you're gone. Something to plan...to look forward too..." Elliot leaned his head onto Kyle's chest listening to his heart beat.

Squeezing him tight Kyle held him like he'd never let him go "I promise. If it'll help you get through the days until we meet again I promise." He ran his fingers through Elliot's blond hair "I love you El."

***


Beverly was sitting next to Adam watching him sleep How much longer would they need to keep him under this spell? Would it have any adverse effects? She took his hand and held it against her cheek crying softly. She hoped they were doing the right thing. If anything happened to Heath, Adam would never forgive her.

A hand landed on her shoulder jolting her from her thoughts. Smiling she looked up into Elliot's green eyes "have they left?" she asked returning her gaze back to Adam's still form.

"Yeah they left," his voice cracked. He reached over and took her hand sharing their combined worry. "They'll be back," he said sounding as unconvinced as she felt.

***


Several hours later Heath, Chase and Kyle made their way from the airport to the hotel in Monte Vista. Kyle couldn't help but wonder whatever happened to his one time idol Gino Ferrari who was supposed to be from here. Kyle knew he could never be as ruthless and heartless as Gino had been and he hoped one day to show that not celebrities were like that. He still had his goal of being a five star chef but he first had to help Elliot and his family through this mess. He couldn't help but feel it was his fault; after all if it weren't for his father being the royal jerk that he is then Chase wouldn't have had the opportunity to set his trap. Which was another troubling point for Kyle, he wondered if Chase had really changed or if they were walking into a trap.


Heath was asleep on his shoulder and Kyle wondered if they would have been better off leaving the boy at home. He understood Heath's desire to help but how much could a thirteen year old really be? Looking down at the sleeping boy, Kyle knew he didn't have the heart to tell the kid no. He understood the need to prove oneself. He personally would do anything he could to help his mother free herself from the clutches of his father. When he was Heath's age he simply wasn't brave enough and now that he was older he was too full of self-doubt to think he could do anything. Now that he was a father himself he wondered if he was capable of protecting his own child. If something happened to him Kyle knew Elliot would be able to protect their child. Out of the pair of them Kyle felt he was the most disposable.

Heath stirred and Kyle looked down into his startled blue eyes. "You shouldn't think things like that," the boy told him "Elliot doesn't think your disposable."


"What are you doing in my head?" Kyle asked flustered at the boy's unblinking gaze.

Shrugging Heath yawned "I didn't mean too. It happens sometimes...I'm still learning how to control it. Sorry." Heath looked intently at Kyle and asked "why do you feel your any more disposable then the rest of us?"

Kyle looked away staring out the window lost in thought. How could he say that all his life he was told he was nothing. Good for only one thing taking over the resort and carry on the family name.

***

 
The following morning they set out to find the illusive plasma plant located in the hills of Monte Vista. Hiking through the mountainous region they tried to keep a look out for Alessandro's henchmen. However a combination of heat, fatigue and exhaustion dulled their senses and by late afternoon they stood huddled together surrounded by werewolves. "What do we do now?" Chase asked for what seemed like the hundredth time sense they were captured.

"How should I know?" Kyle retorted "I'm not the guy with all the advanced future knowledge."

"Well obviously I was more interested in the past then the future...." Chase growled back mentally kicking himself for his ignorance and oversight. He never looked into the future, he believed everything Logan had told him. Hanging his head he couldn't believe he had been that gullible. 


Heath rolled his eyes as the two bickered back and forth. "Give it a rest won't ya?" he said glaring at his companions. "Why am I the only one acting like an adult here?" Heath kept a wary eye on the werewolves. (Son that one, the young one over there we might be able to connect to him) Heath followed the teen wolf with his eyes until the wolf looked at him making eye contact, allowing Heath to hear his thoughts....

"I hate recruiting missions" the teen mumbled "besides this feels different. Why did we capture these halflings? It's not like they can be turned to werewolves..."

Focusing on the teenager Heath thought "can you help us?"

The teenager looked up startled then glanced around the pack to see if anyone noticed his reaction "I can't my father will kill me..."

"Please I know you don't really want to do this. My father needs the plasma fruit....he's depending upon me to bring it back." Heath could feel the teens resolve faltering.

"I can't I'm sorry. Alessandro ordered us to capture anyone coming to harvest the plasma plant and to turn them. We didn't expect you to be halflings....now you'll be sent to Midnight Hollow to be rendered into dolls and sent out as imaginary friends."


Heath let out an involuntary gasp "you can't do that." 

"Alessandro can and does anything he wants. Everyone lives in fear of him and they do nothing to stop him. There was a glimmer of hope when his wife became ill and his son died from an ancient illness only vampires are susceptible to. But now that he has named a new heir, one of his bloodline all hope is lost," the young werewolf explained.

"My father is the new prince, the one Alessandro bestowed the title of heir too." Heath told the boy "He's trying to keep from feeding and finishing his transformation. He is trying to fight Alessandro but first he needs the plasma fruit."

"I'm sorry the wolf elder had all the plants destroyed. I could ask m...." The boy cowered as one of the senior wolves growled at him "I have to leave now....I'm sorry."

"No please...." Heath pleaded "we need you're help."

***


Away from the camp Quentin faced his father "we can't let the elder take the halflings to Midnight Hollow. They have done nothing wrong to deserve rendering to dolls."

"They defied the wishes of Alessandro that's all it takes. If they would give up the location of the heir they would be set free..."

"That's a lie and you know it," Quentin snapped at his father "besides the boy is the heir's son...." He pressed his lips together realizing he was saying too much.

"What do you know my son?" his father asked.

"The young one connected to my thoughts. He is the son of the heir. If we allow the elder to render the heir's son, what will happen to us when he becomes ruler? Destroy us or worse?" Quentin hoped his father would see reason.


Putting a hand to his chin his father mumbled "that does alter things...."

"The boy mentioned they need the plasma fruit to help his father to fight the blood thirst. Do we have any of it's fruit?" Quentin asked shaking as his father's eyes glowed with disapproval. Hanging his head "forgive me father."

Waving a hand in dismissal he said "We will need to act fast my son. If we do this we will be banned from the pack for life for disobeying the elder."

"I know father....what other choice do we have?" he asked more scared than he had ever been in his short life.

Going to their supplies his father removed a package handing it to Quentin. "This is all I was able to salvage before the plants were destroyed. Hopefully this will be enough to help."  

They spent the next couple of hours discussing how they would free the captives. When it had grown late Quentin's father hugged his son "be careful my son and if we should be split up remember our rendezvous point.


Quentin nodded as he turned away. Waiting undercover  he waited for the explosions to begin before moving to untie the captives. Approaching them he held a finger up this mouth "don't talk. Just follow," he whispered as he cut through the ropes. He led them to the opposite end of the camp away from the explosions. He hesitated looking behind him hoping to see his father. His heart leaped as he saw him running towards them when he went down. Screaming Quentin ran to his father "dad...dad" he cried "please get up."

Painfully his father opened his eyes saying "go my son and never look back."

Crying Quentin sniffed "I can't...not without you father....I can't leave you."

"You're not leaving me....I'm leaving you." his father struggled to breathe "I love you....." he sank to the ground breathing his last.


Quentin threw himself over his father's body crying "father don't leave me...."

Pulling on the boy Chase and Kyle hauled him to his feet and dragged him to the foliage. Heath grabbed the boys pack and followed reaching out to the boy through his mind "I'm sorry."

"He was all I had. Now I have no one." Quentin cried struggling with his loss.

"I'm sorry," Heath repeated unsure what else to say. How could he thank the boy for rescuing them when it was at such great cost? He knew his bond with his father was close and that the sacrifice was unimaginable. Heath wondered if it was one he'd be able to make and hoped he'd never have to find out.


Slowing Chase and Kyle stopped dropping to the ground exhausted "we need to rest."

Shaking his head Quentin urged "we need to continue the portal is not far from here."

"What portal?" Chase asked.

"The portal Alessandro set up in every town to make it easier for supernaturals to travel undetected. We need to hurry before Alessandro closes it."

"Is it a direct route to Dragon Valley?" Kyle asked.

Shaking his head Quentin confessed "no it's not. The dragons closed their portal to supernaturals. They had a falling out with Alessandro and have forbidden access to their town."


"That makes sense," Chase muttered "and explains why they are protecting Adam."

"Probably," the boy began to shake from a combination of fatigue and grief "I hope he can stop Alessandro. I have sacrificed all I have to help him."

"What about your mother?" Kyle asked concern for this boy overwhelming his fatigue.

"Alessandro had her executed when I was child. Now that my....my father is .....I have no one...." he fell to his knees sobbing.

Heath reached out and touched the boys shoulder "you have us. My dad will protect you."


Quentin looked at the younger boy through tears in his eyes "how you don't...."

Smiling Heath said "he told me to tell you. Our house is your house. You are welcome for as long as you wish."

"You're in contact with Adam?" Chase asked astounded.

Nodding Heath said "it's the only way he'd agree to my coming. I just kept it a secret. His mind reading abilities are expanding. I'm sorry," he turned to Kyle "but your thoughts were practically shouting at us earlier. Once we get home dad will disconnect our link and I won't be able to hear your thoughts."


"You won't tell Elliot, will you?" Kyle asked.

"No but you should," Heath told him "dad thinks so too." Heath smiled looking around them "we better get going." He turned and looked behind them "I wish I had been able to obtain what we came for..."

"Who said you didn't?" Quentin asked as he pulled out a plasma fruit from the pack his father gave him. "My dad kept some despite being ordered to destroy them."

***


Two weeks later everyone was gathered around Adam's bed watching him drink the plasma substitute. Frowning Adam took a sip then a larger swallow. Gagging he made a face of disgust "this stuff is terrible."

"Don't complain," Beverly chided "this stuff may keep you from needing to feed."

Grimacing Adam continued to drink the foul concoction. After finishing it Adam smiled "that was the worst thing I've ever had the misfortune of eating." Looking at the eager hopeful expressions he said "but I no longer feel like I want to jump on you and drain you dry. Thank you," he said solemnly to the assembled people. Turning to the young werewolf he said "I want to thank you especially for not only saving me but my son. I'm sorry about the loss of your father, he was a brave man who loved you very much." Quentin bowed his head as Adam continued to talk "you're welcome to stay here with us become part of the family. You'll have to forgive us our ignorance of supernaturals as we were unaware of your existence until about a year ago."

"Thank you sir," Quentin mumbled taken aback by the sincerity he heard in Adam's voice. He wasn't used to it; especially not from a vampire. He had been told stories of how vampires had been nice once upon a time but that all changed centuries ago under Alessandro's rule. He had a feeling once Adam became ruler things would change.


"Now if you'll excuse us," Beverly said pointing towards the door "I have a few things to discuss with my fiance."

Adam looked at her then at the retreating backs of his friends and family. "Don't go," he entreated them "I have a feeling I'm going to need someone to protect me."

"Sorry dad," Heath smiled at him "but for all your fangs and vampire mind reading skills, mom is still scarier than you."

"I know son...that's why I need protecting," Adam said half joking.

When everyone had left Beverly turned to Adam hands on hips "why didn't you come home? I've been worried sick over you."


"I'm sorry," Adam said looking away from her piercing green eyes.

"Is that all you have to say?" she shouted "If Heath hadn't followed you that night you would have died."

"I know," Adam said avoiding eye contact. 

Growing frustration prompted Beverly to ask "do you love me?"

"God yes," Adam lifted his head up "that was never an issue....I...I didn't want to hurt you."

"You love me but you don't trust me. Is that it?" Beverly asked pacing the floor.


"No it's not that. I didn't trust myself. It was never about you. I wanted you and the kids to be safe," Adam slowly stood from the bed.

"So you thought dying would protect us?" Adam nodded looking to the floor. "Why Adam? Why couldn't you come to me?"

"I was afraid," He shouted back "I felt so alone. I didn't understand what was happening to me. How to control it. The only person I trusted to know what to do is gone." He looked up as he added "forgive me please. I was lost and afraid. I thought I had to give up my family to protect them. That wasn't  a choice I made lightly but it was one I thought I had to make. I didn't think you could love a monster..."

"Oh Adam is that what you think you've become?" she asked stepping close to him. He nodded as she took his hand "I don't see a monster. I see someone who lost themselves." Touching his chest "inside here your still the man I love. Nothing else matters. We can and will face this together."


Adam sighed as he felt Beverly's arm embrace him as she lifted her face up to him. "Beverly I've missed you and longed for you. I thought..." he gulped in air afraid he would burst into tears. 

"Shh you're here now. We're together," she lifted her hands to stroke his face she stared into his glowing eyes "I love you."

"I love you more" Adam pulled her close as he claimed her lips with his. Savoring her taste, her smell, the feel of her in his arms. He moaned in anticipation as Beverly pushed him to the bed and she began to remove her clothes.

4 comments:

  1. Elliot and Kyle are so cute. </3 Glad everything went well with the plasma fruit, sucks that it tastes so bad though. Adam will survive . Beverly is strong lol, she does not take anybody's crap. Excited to see Heath as the heir. When will the heir poll end for NSOL? I voted a bunch of times already xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the time to really tell Kyle and Elliot's story :( But I may update every now and then on Tumblr how they're doing. Not sure how much their story will intertwine with Heath's.
      Adam will just have to acquire a taste for it because he really doesn't want the alternative. Ah Beverly is a lot stronger than she looks which is good because that's what Adam needs. It's going to be a wild ride for Heath and you'll see what I mean when the finale is posted. The heir poll will end Saturday for NSOL. I set it up to run for 2 weeks maybe next time I'll go for only a week because the wait is killing me. LOL

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that everyone came back safely. Kudos to Quentin for being so brave, even though he knew what was at stake, and then he lost his dad. T_T
    When Adam was drinking the plasma I was thinking maybe there's some vampire chef who can like add some flavor to it or something to make it less foul. ROFL.
    Oh Beverly haha, Adam was not sure he could control himself to bite you and kill you because of it. Sure, killing himself was not the smartest idea he'd had in a while, LOL, but I completely understand Adam's fear that he could have murdered his own family because he needed to feed. It's okay though, they made up, which is good. I like Beverly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR Quentin and his dad were both really brave. Even though he lost his dad he still has a home.
      Beverly will come up with something to make it more palatable :D
      All the things that could have been avoided if Adam had just communicated with Beverly. He may not like what he's become but it will come in handy down the road..... No not the smartest idea he's ever had and he's supposed to be a genius lol Sometimes fear has a way of ruling your emotions and making you do things that you wouldn't otherwise do. His main concern was protecting his family and what happened to him was of little concern.
      Beverly is a really strong person and Adam would do well to rely upon her more.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete