Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 5 - Wrecking His Life

 
 
 

For their second year Adam decided to room in the dorms where things quickly deteriorated between him and Windy. Windy would do her own thing, which meant meeting up with Scot every chance she could.

"Scot how much longer do we have to wait before we can be together?" Windy asked snuggling closer in his arms.



Chuckling softly Scot rubbed her back "Not long, sweetheart. I know it's been difficult but I can't afford for Fort Starch to find out about us."

"I know," Windy said pulling away slightly to look up at Scot "It's just .... I hate deceiving Adam like this. He deserves better."

 "Don't worry so much, honey it'll soon be over. Once I graduate and Fort Starch pays my tuition then we'll be free to be together."

"I can't wait," Windy sighed "I've tried everything I could think of to discourage him."


"Not too much I hope," Scot said tightening his grip on Windy "He's the best camouflage we have. Without your engagement to him the school would have looked deeper into our relationship." Leaning in he brought Windy's face closer to his "Just hang in there a little while longer and we'll be together." Kissing her softly "This will all be an unpleasant memory. Then we can start our life together."


Being held in Scot's embrace Windy felt all her doubts melt away. Her resolve strengthened as she allowed herself to be reassured of Scot's love for her. She remembered how Scot had helped her adjust at Fort Starch. He was the only person who understood how lonely she was. It was Scot who had taken their relationship to the next level her senior year. Then the rumors began about a teacher having an affair with a student. No one seemed to know who it was but they feared someone would find out and Windy agreed to continue her relationship with Adam.


She longed to tell Adam the truth. She tried everything she could think of to keep Adam from asking her to marry him. A part of her wished she could go through with it. Adam was the only person who didn't ask her to do things she knew was wrong. Adam loved her and here she was in the arms of another man. Her heart ached at the pain she knew she was causing. In the long run she knew she didn't deserve the love Adam offered, she couldn't be what he needed.


She had tried to break things up with Adam last year by dating other guys around campus. Then Scot became upset demanding she do whatever it took to convince Adam of her sincerity and love. She took their relationship to the next level by seducing Adam. She had wanted to avoid that emotional connection by raising the privacy issue when they were in Appaloosa and then insisting they sleep in separate rooms. Now it seemed it was the only thing that kept them together.



Adam was doing more than the usual amount of partying. His grades were slipping but he couldn't seem to get back on track. Once again he relied upon Ruby to help him. She did the best she could to convince him to slow down before he did something he'd later regret.

"Rube lighten up. Have some fun," Adam encouraged her.

Sighing Ruby rolled her eyes "I'm here to get an education not to party."

"You're at college, why not do both?"

"Because I'm looking at why both don't work," Ruby scoffed as she gathered her things to leave.

"Hey don't leave mad," Adam grabbed her arm and pulled her close, kissing her before he had a chance to think about what he was doing.

Pushing him away Ruby demanded "What do you think your doing?"

"I'm ... I'm sorry," Adam stammered hanging his head.

"It's not like I don't like you Adam but your engaged. I won't be the other woman." Ruby walked away stopping at the door. She turned around saying "Adam it's either her or me. You can't have both."

Sighing loudly Adam threw himself on the couch. When did his life become such a mess? What possessed him to kiss Ruby? She was right, he did have to make a decision. Looking at his watch he groaned realizing he was late for Ashley's party. He dragged himself off the couch and ran out the door. Telling himself that he wouldn't get drunk this time. He'd only drink enough to relax, to forget how shitty his life had become.


 
The next morning he woke up with a pounding headache. He couldn't remember how he got home but somehow he had passed out on the couch in the foyer. As the dorm started to wake up and students passed him on their way to class, he heard whispered comments "Drunk again," "Plastered," "Bet he has a killer headache," "Should've see him last night."


Deciding to skip class, Adam made his way to his dorm room. Before he made it, Windy accosted him in the hallway "Where have you been?"

"Out," Adam said walking around her.

"Out where?" Windy demanded "Have you been drinking again?"

"What if I have? What do you care?"

"I care alright," Windy shouted "I don't want to see you get hurt."

"You don't want to see me hurt, that's a laugh. Is that why you've been seeing Scot behind my back? Do you think it hurts less if you think I don't know?"

"It's not like that. We're just friends."

"Friends with benefits more like."

"Adam that's not fair. I'm not talking to you when you're like this."


"Fine. As far as I can tell you don't talk to me when I'm not like this," Adam slammed the door shut behind him. He crawled into bed cradling his head wishing he could make it hurt less. He stared at the picture of his family on the night stand wishing he could call his Dad for advice. "I don't even have that anymore," Adam said aloud. "I have to figure this out on my own." Depression hit him like a physical blow as he contemplated life without his father in it. He had received the news of his father's relapse shortly after he returned to college. He couldn't face the loss of his father on top of losing Windy. He laid there fighting the urge to find something to drink. He just wanted to be numb, to not feel or think anything at all. He fell asleep and woke up in time to go to his last class. He avoided Ruby, not wanting to rehash what happened the night before. He had one plan for the night, study and sleep. He decided to skip the pool party that Ashley had invited him to the night before.

Adam walked to his room groaning as he saw Windy anxiously waiting for him. Not stopping to acknowledge her, he attempted to walk past.

"Adam we need to talk."

Eyeing her he scoffed "Now you want to talk. Go away, I've got studying to do."


As Adam brushed past, she said "I'm pregnant."

Stopping in mid step "You're what?"

"I'm pregnant," Windy repeated.

Turning towards her Adam demanded "Is it mine?"

"Of course it's yours! What kind of a person do you think I am?"

"Come off it Windy, I may be niave but I'm not stupid. Since our first time I knew you had more experience then me. So be honest with me, is it mine?"

"Yes it's yours," Windy shouted. "I wish it wasn't. This will ruin everything."

"What do you want to do? I won't marry you,"

"And I won't agree to an abortion."

"Fine. I'll raise the child myself. My Dad did it with us."

"You're half the man your father was."

"Whatever," Adam said defeated "I don't want to argue about this. I'll support you and the baby."

"How?"

"I'll take the job offer from Gaming Central. I'll use what's left in my college fund to buy a house.  I want to make it clear that we may be living together we are not a couple."

"And I can come and go and do as I please."

"I don't care what the hell you do as long as it doesn't endanger our child."

Windy rolled her eyes "As if. I'm not the one getting drunk every night."


As Windy walked away Adam realized that as much as he wanted to drown his sorrows he had to make some changes. He couldn't help but wish he had listened to Ruby. He wondered when he had forgotten to use protection. He just couldn't remember, Windy had a way of approaching him when he was too drunk to resist. He wanted to be angry with her but no matter how he looked at it, he was at fault too. If only he could be sure the baby was his.

 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I guess in some ways it is. Adam's life is full of drama.
      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. Poor Adam. I think it's possible to party a little and still do well in school, at least for me. LOL. All work and no play makes me an angry person. I still think Ruby is good though, she's trying to talk sense into Adam because he is overdoing it. Aww, he kissed Ruby, I think deep down, he's crushing on her. Ooh, Windy's pregnant, I'll have to see if this is the thing that saves Emit. O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam is using partying as a way to not deal with Windy. Ruby cares for Adam and wants to help him but she's not about to get involved with someone who is still technically engaged, even if it is Windy. Adam really likes Ruby and he has to make a decision. The baby just might be the one.

      Delete