Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Generation 2, Chapter 7 - Regrets and Moving On

Don't Think Twice, It's Alright

Adam woke up early the following morning after a night of little sleep on the too short couch. Not wanting to see Windy, he left the house and wandered around the fair.


"Hey Adam," he turned as he heard someone call his name.

"How's it going Brian?" Adam smile warmly at his brother welcoming a diversion from his thoughts.

"Pretty good and you?"

Shrugging Adam sighed looking away.

"That bad huh?" Brian said concerned for his brother. "Windy up to her old tricks?"

Nodding his head Adam looked past Brian at all the seemingly happy couples enjoying the fair. "I don't know how much more I can take." Running his hands through his hair, his voice cracking he continued "All I ever wanted was to make her happy. I loved her so much. I don't understand."

Putting his hand out Brian said "I wish I had the answer maybe there isn't one. She is who she is and nothing you do will change that. Don't try to understand it. Just accept it and move on. Quit beating yourself up over how it turned out."

"You sound like Dad," Adam said softly "How is he doing?"

"Weak. You should come by, he'd like to see you."

"Soon I promise."

"You better," Brian said intensely catching Adam's attention.

"What aren't you telling me?"

"I .... I," shying away from looking directly a Adam "I think he's hanging on to see the baby. I don't know if he has the strength to do it though."




The conviction in Brian's voice sent shivers up Adam's spine. "I'll come over now."

"Good," Brian said in relief. " Um Adam you should know Jean is pushing him to go into a hospice."

"She's what? She knows Dad doesn't want_"

"Calm down Adam. She knows but she's thinking of how the kids will be affected by his death at home. She's doing the best she can and better then I thought she would to be honest."

"Do you think she's right?"

"Yeah I do. I'm sorry."

"When?" Adam asked feeling guilty that he hadn't been around enough to notice his fathers rapid decline. Guilt that he was wrapped up in his own problems with Windy that he had neglected his family.

"I think soon after the baby comes. I don't have the heart to tell him now and I think if we move him before, he'll lose the will to live."

"Brian I'm sorry I haven't been around to help."

"Don't worry about it. You've had enough to deal with. This is why I didn't want to go to college. I wanted to be here to help. But I think once this is over I might go. I need to get away."

Not knowing what to say Adam reached out and put his arm around Brian's shoulders as they walked the rest of the way home in silence.



Windy woke up alone in the double bed she insisted they needed. Absently rubbing her enormous belly she aimlessly shuffled downstairs. Briefly wondering where Adam was but quickly dismissing any concern she may have felt. 'He's probably at his Dad's house or crying in his beer at the bar.' Going into the bathroom she gazed at her reflection, noting the lines on her face from the lack of sleep the night before.

After Adam ran out, away from her advances she had crawled into bed, crying herself to sleep. Everything she did, touched failed. She had given her heart to Scot to have it thrown back at her because she was pregnant. She thought that she could convince Adam to take her back, only he wasn't waiting to welcome her back with open arms.

Smiling sadly she rubbed her stomach saying 'Well little one I've certainly messed things up. I thought for sure your Daddy would forgive me when he found out about you. I guess I didn't realize how much I had hurt him." Sighing Windy tottered to the couch, flipping the TV on, hoping to get lost in someone else's drama. But her mind kept going back to Adam. The hurt look in his eyes as he realized what she was doing last night. His eyes haunted her dreams, that wounded look never completely left his eyes, not even when he was drinking.

Maybe she should just leave. Maybe then Adam could get on with his life. She could give the baby up for adoption. It might be the best solution for both of them. Tears escaped the corners of eyes as she contemplated what this would do to Adam. Wiping the tears away she sniffled 'It doesn't matter. The baby probably isn't his.' She hoped it was but wasn't sure. She needed someone to help her through this and knew Scot wouldn't; especially not if he doubted the child was his. Her only other option was Adam, she knew it wasn't in him to turn his back on her, even if he doubted the validity of her claims.

There was a sharp knock on the door that jolted Windy back to the present. Hoisting herself off the couch, Windy waddled to the door.



"Took you long enough," Scot said as he entered the house.

"What do you want?" Windy asked.

Looking around Scot said "What a dump! Is this all your rich boyfriend could afford? Or is this a reflection of how much he thinks of you?"

"Get out!" Windy yelled opening the door for him to leave.

Ignoring her, Scot sat on the couch. "Come on baby, don't be like that."

Coming over to the couch Windy asked "Why are you here?"

Smiling up at her Scott patted the cushion beside him. "I've come to offer you a choice other than this," he waived his hands around to encompass the house.

Reluctantly Windy sat beside him. "So what's my choice?"

"Marry me."

"What? You're joking!" Windy cried jumping up and walking away.

"I'm serious. As soon as the baby's born we'll get married."

"Where will we live? Can you afford a house big enough for us and the baby?"

"Whoa, what I said before still stands. I won't raise another man's child."




"But it's a part of me," Windy whispered grabbing her stomach. "It could still be yours. You know I'm not sure it's Adams."

"Yea we've been through all that. No doubt Adam's planning a DNA test once this baby's born. I know I would. I say let Adam foot the bill. Right now the offer's for you," Scot said glancing at her belly as he said "not it." Looking into her eyes and putting his hands around her face he said "the choice is yours. It's either me or it. You can't have both."

Walking to the door Scot let himself out. Stunned Windy stood there silently digesting what he said.  A small part of her brain was leaping for joy as she realized Scot wanted her. racing to the door she called out "Scot wait!" She stumbled down the steps after him. "I'll marry you," she said breathlessly ignoring the kick the baby gave her in the ribs.


Smiling in triumph, Scot pulled her close and kissed her. "Great! Call me as soon as it is born and I'll come and take you away from all of this."


"What are you doing here?" Adam asked from behind them. Adam clenched his fists as he stood there watching them kiss, oblivious to him standing there. The sight of them kissing made him want to vomit after the memory of what might have happened the night before.


Chuckling deeply Scot turned and confronted Adam. "Looks like the better man won."

Adam stared in shock at Scot then glanced at Windy. Turning back to Scot he demanded "You need to leave now."


"Don't worry I'm leaving but I'll be back for what's mine." Walking nonchalantly away he turned by his car and yelled across the yard to Adam "You can keep the brat she's carrying. She chose me over it."


Watching Scot drive away Adam was shaking as he turned back to Windy asking "What did he mean?" But she wasn't there. Running into the house he glanced towards the living room, seeing she wasn't there. He took the stairs two steps at a time he confronted Windy "What did you do?"

"I accepted his proposal to marry him."

"That's not all. What did he mean you chose him over it?"

"Why do you care? I thought you'd be glad to get rid of me!" she yelled at him.

"I'll always care, even if I don't want to," Adam said taken aback from her outburst. "Do you love him?"




"Does it matter?"

"It should to you," Adam said trying to calm down. "Windy what he's offering isn't love. You deserve better than that. Don't sell yourself short."

"No, no you're wrong. After what I've done he's exactly what I deserve."

"No you're the one whose wrong. Scot took advantage of a young inexperienced girl, that doesn't mean he loves you. Give yourself a break and find someone who can make you happy and love you."

"Adam I'm sorry that I've hurt you," looking away Windy sighed. "I wish we could go back_"

"But we can't. We both know that. We never should have tried to be more than friends," Adam said wistfully.

"You're right we can't go back. I've done too much harm," looking at Adam she smiled as she knew what needed to be done. "Adam I want to sign my rights away to the baby. I want you to have sole custody."




"Windy? I don't understand. What if it's not mine?"

"It doesn't matter. You'll be a good father regardless. I don't trust Scot to not try to take custody. If I do this now you can legally adopt."

"If that's what you want I'll do it."

"What are you going to do about Scot?"

Smiling Windy said "Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself."




Six weeks later Windy went into labor. She was home alone when the first contractions began. She called Adam to meet her at the hospital then she called Scot. She packed her few remaining items in a bag. With a last look around she made her way out of the house. Closing the door on this chapter of her life she hoped the next one would be better.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Aww, I actually think it is sweet of Windy to be willing to sign over her parental rights to Adam, since he was willing to buy her a house and marry her and take care of the baby. Adam clearly is looking out for the child's interests, whereas Scot just wanted a fresh start with Windy. Interesting turn of events. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windy's not all bad. She want's to make sure her child is well taken care of and she trusts Adam. Scot is .... a jerk.

      Delete