Friday, February 28, 2014

Generation 1, Chapter 17


 
 
Upon returning home from China, Peter received a letter that was about to change his life. It read:

Dear Son,
Words cannot express my sincerest regrets and profoundest apologies for blaming you for the loss of my life's work. I've come to realize that my life's work was not my research but my children, of which I have failed miserably.
Instead of fostering an atmosphere of competition. I should have encouraged each of my sons to follow their own course. Maybe we would all be a lot happier if I had. But all I was focused on was continuing the Van Winkle legacy of science excellence.
I am, however very proud of you, my son, for your success. I have read every article I could find in Sim Science Digest about you and your scientific advancements. Mostly though I'm searching for pictures of your face and hope that one day soon to see you again.
Your Mother and I would very much like to be part of your life again. Your Mother, as would I, would enjoy being grandparents, as our other sons, your brothers, have yet to settle down and have children. Corina has been kind enough to share with me the pictures you have sent her of your beautiful children.
My heart overflows with regret that I have missed so much of my sons' life. I hope you can forgive me!
In sincerest regrets and deepest apologies your Father, Henry

Peter couldn't help but weep with joy. Forgive his Father, that was a foregone conclusion. He had many times forgiven him in his mind and heart. It just hurt so deeply to be so utterly abandoned for a mistake he wished with all his heart he could fix but knew he couldn't. Unfortunately he knew this would only complicate his divorce as Vallari would sue for more money. However he knew also with the Van Winkle money he could now afford to hire the best lawyers money could buy and fight Vallari so that the children do not lose out to her greed.

He went inside and immediately wrote to his father.

Dear Father,
You don't know how many times I've wanted to write or call you and beg your forgiveness. Of course I forgive you Father, and have done so right from the start. I would very much like you to be in my life again and the children would love to have grandparents to spoil them. Please come at your earliest convenience, spring would be great. I have so many things I would like to discuss with you and ask for your advise on. But I shall wait until we meet again to burden you with my problems. I've so missed you Father and sorely need your advise!
Your loving son, Peter




Peter thought it would be best to wait until after the holidays to tell the children about the divorce. Adam and Brian, along with the respective IF's could hardly wait to open their presents. Waking up early, they ran to the tree to find their presents and to check their stockings. They tried to be quiet but their excitement over their presents was too much to be contained and they eventually woke their parents up. They did wonder why Peter came up from the basement but thought that maybe he had been up working in the lab. Peter decided that he would take the boys to Winter Festival.









Adam and Brian both learned to snowboard and were getting pretty good at. There were really catching some air towards the end of the night. They did wipe out a few times but not enough to dampen the enjoyment of this new sport. They wised that it would stay winter forever so they could snowboard all the time.


Meanwhile Vallari decided to follow them to the Festival. Unfortunately for Peter, Vallari was there to convince him that divorce was a bad idea. While Peter and the boys were gone, Vallari had been snooping in Peters' desk in the lab and found his Father's letter. She didn't want to lose her chance at getting her hands on Peter's inheritance.


She asked Peter to help her as she said she was afraid she fall. Being a naturally nice guy, Peter skated with her.

"Honey, I've been thinking that maybe we were too hasty in deciding to get a divorce. I think maybe we should try marriage counseling first."

Peter was caught totally off guard, he couldn't decide if he believed his ears. Did she just say too hasty and counseling? Maybe he was being hasty ... wait a minute. Is she playing me for a fool again, Peter asked himself.

"No, Vallari, just no. It would be one thing if you were sincere in wanting to save our marriage but you're not. I know you snooped in my desk and found the letter from my Father. You just want my inheritance, you don't want me or the children. For once in your life be honest."


Vallari could hardly believe what she was hearing. Where did Peter get the idea he could tell her no. She was stunned, it broke here stride and she lost her balance, sending both her and Peter to their knees. She was mortified that she fell and immediately blamed Peter.

Peter simply shook his head and skated off the rink. Vallari yelled after him that he'd be sorry. She always gets what she wants.

8 comments:

  1. Aww, the letters back and forth from Peter to his father were so sweet and touching. :)
    I'm glad Peter was smart, but uh oh, it sounds like Vallari's going to try to steal the inheritance now. o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vallari is such an evil manipulative person. She doesn't know how to give up. Now with knowing that Peter and is father have made up all she sees is dollar signs and she's not about to let Peter go without a fight.

      Delete
  2. Aww I'm so glad Peter's dad has apologised, even if it complicates things in the divorce it'll be worth it for the kids to have grandparents and Peter to have his mom and dad around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does complicate things with Vallari. Peter's parents do help him through the divorce too bad it took Peter's dad this long to apologize.

      Delete
  3. Vallari is truly terrible. I'm glad that Peter can see that clearly now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little late but yes his blinders have been removed and he says Vallari for what she is now.

      Delete