Saturday, March 8, 2014

Generation 1, Chapter 25


Peter's parents were nervous seeing Peter for the first time after so many years of not talking and meeting their grandchildren. They wanted to make a good impression; however when they arrived, they found Peter in a the middle of a nasty divorce and custody battle. They longed to be able to help but they were afraid all they could offer was moral support.

When they received the call to come and pick up the kids from the court house, they felt like they finally had a reason to be there. They were glad to help besides it gave them an opportunity to get know their grandkids better.

Corina Doloris spent time baking with the her little name sakes. She learned that the twins had two very different personalities. Little Corina talked none stop about her love of dancing and how she wanted to be a Prima Ballerina when she grew up. She noticed that while Corina talked, Doloris was rolling her eyes and shaking her head.

"Don't you like ballet, Doloris? asked her Grandmother.

"Nope, not one little bit."

"So what would you like to be when you grow up?"

"I would like to be a chemist and mix all kinds of potions together."

"That's a good goal to have. Just don't forget that not everyone finds chemistry as exciting as you do and look down upon their ambitions." her Grandmother admonished.

"Even if I think it's dumb?"

"Even if" her Grandmother confirmed.


While Corina Doloris was busy with the girls, Henry spent time with the boys. First he looked at Brian's artwork.

"These are very good Brian. Do you want to be an artist when you grow up?" Henry asked.

"Yep. I love to paint and draw."

"Have you ever thought about going to an art school to learn other painting techniques?" Henry queried.

"Oh that would be fun! But I don't know if I would want to go away to school. Not by myself."

Next Adam wanted him to go down to the lab and talk about science. They spent a couple hours going over Adam's experiments he was working on and discussing the work that Henry did in his lab in Bridgeport. Oh how Henry missed talking science with someone so young and excited. It brought back memories of how Peter was when he was that age. Peter was really the only child that was genuinely interested in science. He remembered how Peter had said that when he grew up he was going to work in the lab with his dad and how they would discover the mysteries of the universe together. Oh how he wished he hadn't kicked him out after that unfortunate lab accident. He missed so much!


Once the trial was over, Peter came home completely drained of energy. He was glad his parents were there for him and the kids.

"Oh Mama, what do I do now?" Peter asked feeling completely overwhelmed.

"Shh everything's going to be alright. You did what needed to be done. It wasn't good for you or the children to stay in a loveless marriage."

"I know, I know but it doesn't make it hurt any less!" Peter said wondering how he was going to manage raising four kids on his own.

"Peter listen to me. Quit putting so much pressure on yourself. We all make mistakes. You just have to pick yourself up and go on. You'll be ok. The kids will be ok. Then one day you'll meet someone who will love you for you. You just can't give up."

"After Vallari and this nightmare, I don't think I ever want to be that vulnerable again."

"You'll change your mind, dear. Just wait and see."


Smiling a bit grimly, Peter gave his mother a hug. "Ok I'll give it time but I'm in no hurry. As far as I'm concerned once is enough."


One day towards the of their visit, Peter and his dad were talking in the lab.

"Son you have no idea how much this visit means to your mother and me. I wish I could say we will be able to come again on regular visits but it may not happen."

"I understand Dad your busy" Peter started to say but he was disappointed. He thought they were having a good time and that the past was finally behind them.

"Peter it has nothing to do with work but with finances. Son, I'm sorry to say that I made some bad investments and lost the bulk of my money a couple of years ago. Now your mother and I have only enough for us to retire on and live a simple and hopefully comfortable life. It embarrasses me to know that due to my foolishness I have nothing to leave to may children to inherit. I worked so hard and sacrificed so much for science and in the end I have nothing to show for it. It's hard for me to say I'm sorry but there it is, I'm sorry."


Overwhelmed with emotion Peter gave his father a hug.

"Dad I love you regardless of whether I inherit millions or nothing. That never mattered. If you and mom ever need anything don't hesitate to ask. I wish you would move here but I know all your friends and my brothers are there in Bridgeport. But you're always welcome and I'm only a phone call away."

"Peter I love you. Keep up the good work. You have wonderful kids. Don't ever sacrifice your relationship with them for anything."


 

10 comments:

  1. Good times all around, Vallari's gone, and Peter's parents are making up for lost time. I like that they just jumped right in to talk to him, and avoided any awkward silences. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They already had years of silence, so they were taking advantage of the time they had together. Yay Vallari's gone but not forgotten.

      Delete
  2. I'm actually kinda glad there's no money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Peter it had never been an issue of money. He just wanted his father to forgive him for the loss of his research. Since he received that forgiveness he doesn't care about the loss of the money.

      Delete
  3. So glad he could make peace with his dad, one heartache at a time is enough and the loss of the money makes me hope Vallari will stay away... Or at least makes it more likely! I liked the bit with his mom and daughters... Too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter's parents missed so much in their son's life. The money never mattered to Peter. Family has always been the most important thing to him. His mom enjoyed being Grandma and would have liked to have moved to Appaloosa to closer to them. Peter's dad has a history in Appaloosa which will come out towards the end of the generation and what he did in the past had a profound effect on Vallari and why she is the way she is. I'm going to stop with that before I give to much away.

      Delete
  4. Wooo, Vallari is finally gone! Peter shouldn't be too worried because he was practically raising the kids on his own with optimus even. Peter looks just like his dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vallari is gone, for now. Peter wants to be a good father and is worried about doing it on his own; especially now since Optimus Even is gone. Peter does look like his father but he doesn't act like him. Henry is just now realizing the things he's sacrificed for his career and some of his mistakes are already having an impact on Peter's life and they don't even know it yet.

      Delete