Monday, March 24, 2014

Generation 1, Chapter 32



A couple months later Jean came over to the house after all the kids had left for school. Jean had something important to discuss with Peter and didn't want to be distracted by children in the house; especially since she didn't know how Peter would react to what she had to tell him.

"Peter you remember the night we went to the karaoke bar?"

"Sure, it's a night I'll always remember" Peter confirmed with a smile. "Why?"

"Well, um I'm pregnant"

"What! How? I mean, I know how, but." Peter stammered in surprise.

"The photo booth."

"Oh we didn't use..."

"No we didn't and now I'm pregnant."


"This is great" Peter enthused "I'll help you through this You won't be doing this alone."

Smiling in relief, Jean was glad she had told Peter about the baby instead of listening to her roommate. Her roommate thought she ought to give the baby up for adoption saying Jean was too young to become a mother. However Jean always knew family would be more important than her career. So what the baby came earlier than planned; although it would have been nice to have waited until after she was married and settled.

As if reading her mind Peter suggested "I know this may be rushing things a bit but why don't you move in with us."

Hesitating a bit Jean said "Peter I'd love to but what about your kids? Wouldn't they be upset if  I just moved in?"

"They'll be ok with it I'm sure of it. But your right I should find out how they feel about it first. But it would give you an opportunity to get to know them better and decide whether you want to be a stepmother to my kids."


"Ok I will if it's alright with the kids."

Peter was so excited and happy that we took Jean into his arms and kissed her. He couldn't wait to tell the kids. He felt he was the luckiest man alive.


After Jean left and the kids came home from school, Peter decided it was time to talk with each separately. He decided to approach Doloris first, she was the one he feared would react most negatively to Jean moving in. He found her having a snack with Brian.

"Doloris you have a minute to talk with me?"

"Sure Dad. What about?"

"Well you know I've been dating Jean for a while now and I wanted to know how you felt about it."

Shrugging her shoulders Doloris said "She's ok I guess."

"Well I like her a lot and would like her to come and live with us."

"You're not thinking of marrying her, are you?"

"I'm thinking about it. Wouldn't you like to have a mom to talk to at times?"

"Not really. The first one wasn't so great. What if this one is worse?"

"I don't think that's even possible." Peter sighed. He had hoped for a more positive response from Doloris and he was beginning to wonder if this was a good idea.

"Dad" Doloris' voice broke into Peter's thoughts.

"Yes sweetheart."

"Does Jean make you happy?"

"Yes she does" Peter responded with a smile.

"Ok. I'll try to like her because I want you to be happy too." With that Doloris got up and went outside to play.

Peter was pleasantly surprised with Doloris' response. But he was also encourage as she was his most opinionated child and if she was willing to give Jean a chance then he knew the others would too.


Next he sought out Brian who was busy practicing chess. Peter challenged him to a game, he enjoyed how Brian's mind worked and playing chess with him was a challenge.

"So Brian do you like Jean?"

"She's really nice and she want's me to teach her how to play chess. Yeah I like her." Brian responded while trying to concentrate on the game.

"How would you feel if she came to live with us?

"That'd be ok. Does that mean you're going to get married?"

Smiling a little Peter said "Well I have to ask her first."

"Well, what are you waiting for?"

"I wanted to know how you guys felt about it first."

"I'm ok with it and I know Adam is. He told me you would probably ask Jean to marry you. He said some other stuff about how great it is to be in love but it was getting a bit mushy so I tuned him out. Do you think he's in love with Windy? I hope not. She's not very nice."

Peter was amazed at the keen insight that Brian was offering regarding Windy.   Peter wished he knew what he should do about her.  Brian was right, she was disturbingly too much like Vallari for him to even want to give her a chance. He hoped that Adam wouldn't get hurt. He wondered if he should put forth more of an effort to get to know her better. But her whole attitude was such a turn off that he felt most comfortable not acknowledging her.


After the game was finished and Brian gloated in his win, Peter went upstairs hoping to find Corina. However he found Windy first doing her homework. She looked like she could use some help.

"Need any help?" Peter offered.

"No if I needed help I would of asked. It's just a stupid book report that I forgot about." Eyeing Peter for a moment she continued "What's this I hear about you wanting to get married again?"

"Thinking about it." Peter didn't feel comfortable discussing it with Windy and decided to change the subject. "I've been thinking about adding on to the house, so that you and Adam could each have a room of your own."

"Well it's about time and I better be able to decorate my room anyway I want."

"Within reason" Peter agreed.

"Exactly what does that mean?" Windy heatedly responded taking offense.

"Just that the decorating be in good taste and within budget."

"How could I forget who I was talking too. The control freak strikes again."

Control freak? Peter thought he was a lot of things but control freak wasn't one of them He looked at Windy and mulled over what she just said. Then he shook his head in disbelief. If he could he would send her to live with Vallari but he wouldn't do that even to his worst enemy.


After speaking with Windy, he noticed his stomach had become upset. He wondered if an antacid would help calm his stomach He had hoped that his stomach was better as it had been a few weeks since he had felt nauseous.   Attempting to ignore his upset stomach, he went in search of Corina. He found her downstairs watching Adam run on the treadmill.

"Hey honey, have something on your mind?"

Shrugging, Corina turned towards her Dad and said "No I mean yes, well sorta."

"Want to talk about it?"

Nodding her head she asked "Are you going to ask Jean to marry you?"

"I'm thinking about it. Does that bother you?"

"No she's really nice and she's pretty but, I don't know."

"Corina what's bothering you about it? Are you afraid she'll take your place and I won't love you as much?"

Looking up to her Dad she whispered "Yes"

"That's just impossible. I'll always love you no matter what. My heart is big enough for you, your sister, your brothers and Jean."

"Really?" Corina asked

"Yes really, truly and always." Peter said giving her a hug. "Now off to bed with you."



After Corina went upstairs to bed. Peter stood there watching Adam run on the treadmill, wondering if he should interrupt him or wait until he was done. He wanted to thank him for speaking with Brian and preparing him. However before he could decide, his stomach twisted in pain and it felt like someone was stabbing him with a knife. He rushed to the bathroom where he felt so wretched that dying might be welcome relief.


Adam had observed that his Dad had been talking to the kids all evening. He was glad he had spoken to Brian before hand to ease him into the idea. He became concerned that his Dad was obviously ill again and he couldn't help but reflect upon the nightmare he had a while back. He hoped that Jean could convince him to see a doctor. He wondered if he should mention it to her now so that she could help.

9 comments:

  1. I called it! Ha! Lol. Yay, they're going to have a beautiful baby! Hope Peter is still around to see it, hopefully he goes and sees a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, Peter's illness sounds like it's getting worse. He really should go consult a doctor. o.O I know he doesn't want to worry his children, but I would much rather know what was happening than be kept in the dark about it. If the illness does take him sooner than later, as his kid, I'd want to know how much time I had left to spend with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree he should see a doctor. We wouldn't want Adam's nightmare to come true. Maybe Jean will be able to convince him to see a doctor.

      Delete
  3. please see a doctor the kids need you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the kids need him as their only alternative is Vallari.

      Delete
  4. So much is happening so fast! I'm so glad Peter has found someone, but he needs help, especially with another kid in the way! Is send a Windy over to live with Val in a flash, but then I'm not as nice as Peter is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter's been pretty happy lately and preoccupied with other things that he hadn't noticed he wasn't any better. In fact he's getting worse and ignoring is getting harder to do.
      He should send Windy some place but he it isn't in his nature to give up on someone. Maybe Jean will help him with that.

      Delete
  5. Corina is the sweetest little thing. I hope what Peter has is curable, all the kids need is to go back to Vallari :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corina is really sweet, hopefully she'll stay that way. Peter is really sick and should see a doctor but right now he's thinking he doesn't have time to be sick so he's ignoring it. No the kids would be so miserable it they had to go back to Vallari.

      Delete