Monday, March 17, 2014

Generation 1, Chapter 30


Adam decided to clean the house before his Father came home, knowing that he might not be in a good mood from having to cut his trip short. Adam didn't regret egging his mother's house, only he wished it hadn't ruined his Father's trip. He was a little nervous to see his Dad knowing he had disappointed him. He should have used more sense or at least waited until she had gone to work. Adam sighed heavily knowing that it couldn't be undone no matter how much he wished he could go back and do it differently.


After cleaning the house Adam waited nervously for his Dad to come home. He tried to read his favorite book but he couldn't concentrate. He kept worrying about what his Dad would say or how he was going to react. He hoped that his mother wasn't anxiously waiting for his Dad to come home. He wouldn't put it past her to confront Peter before he was able to make it inside the house. That would be the absolute worst thing that could happen.





After moping around the house, Adam decided he needed to do something, anything to distract himself from his thoughts. He joined Windy outside playing soccer. The exercise was exactly what he needed and he was soon working up a sweat. At times like this he was glad he made Windy real. At least she was pretty and everyone at school thought she was his girlfriend. Well maybe she is but sometimes he just didn't know what she was thinking. He hoped his Dad would except her into the family. 


When Adam and Windy were tired of playing soccer they went inside. Windy followed Adam into the lab and decided to investigate the chemistry table. She mixed a few chemicals together and when nothing happened she mixed a few more. She was becoming pretty frustrated with her lack of results when all of a sudden everything blew up. She was a mess, covered in goo and she became enraged when she heard Adam laughing at her. She stormed out of the room to the basement bathroom to shower, vowing she would never touch chemistry again.


 Adam had started to take an interest in his Dad's science station and he enjoyed all the science experiments he could conduct. He had been busy analyzing a seed he had found outside when he heard the explosion. He wasn't surprised when Windys' experiment blew-up, he knew the chemicals she mixed were incompatible but he refrained from saying anything. The best way to learn was from your mistakes and he knew that Windy wouldn't have listened to any suggestions either, so he just let her do what she wanted. He rather hoped she would give up eventually, he didn't want to share the lab with her. This was his retreat where he and his Dad could talk. While Adam was busy with his research his Dad came home.


As Peter was paying the taxi driver, Vallari had run across the street and was impatiently waiting for Peter.

"Do you know what your son did?" Vallari angrily asked as the taxi drove off

Sighing heavily Peter nodded his head, picking up his bags to go into the house.

"Well aren't you going to say anything?"

"Like what?"

"You could apologize for your son's rude behavior. Offer to pay for the damage to my door and for my emotional stress. You could be a Father instead of gallivanting all over the country."

"I was on a business trip not a pleasure cruise. I've been in contact with the police and the insurance adjusters. Everything is taken care of. Neither I nor my son need to apologize, least of all to you. Now get off my property before I call the cops and have you arrested for trespassing." Peter walked passed her and into the house. He briefly looked out the window to see Vallari standing with her mouth open staring at the house. Finally she stormed off across the street and slammed her door.

Peter shook his head wondering what he had ever seen in her. Whatever it was, was no longer there. But he couldn't regret his marriage to her as that would mean regretting the four beautiful children that both he and Vallari made together. He put his things away, stalling for time before confronting Adam. He couldn't really see himself punishing Adam for egging Vallari's house but he knew he couldn't let Adam feel his behavior was acceptable either. He eyed his bed wishing he could just lay down for a while, resisting the urge, he went downstairs to the lab.

He watched Adam absorbed in his research and his heart swelled in pride. "Adam we need to talk" Peter said quietly from across the room.

Adam looked up from his work and nodded and quietly put his work away. Walking over to Peter he said "Dad I'm sorry".

"I know son. But why? Why did you do it?"

Hanging his head Adam shrugged his shoulders "I don't know. At the time it felt right. I had to do something. She was responsible for my car being stolen and I wanted to get even. I know I shouldn't have done it. I, I ruined your trip."

"Son don't worry about the trip. I would have liked to have stayed for all of it but nothing is more important than my family. I understand how frustrated you were over your car. But what proof do you have that Vallari orchestrated the stealing of your car?"

"Dad you heard her when she left my birthday party. Then the missing burglar alarm. It all points to her. She had to have done it, I know it."

"Pretty convincing but no proof. So you let your anger and frustration get the best of you and you egged your mother's house. Did you feel better after vandalizing her house?"

"Yes, I mean she deserved it but when the police arrived I knew they would call you and you would be disappointed in me and I'm sorry for that."

"Son I may be disappointed by your actions but I could never be disappointed in you."

"So do I have to apologize to her?"

"No. However you will not go to her house for any reason unless she invites you. Even then you are not to go alone. I would not put it past her to try to set you up. Is that ok with you?"

Smiling in relief Adam shook his head in agreement. "Dad how was your trip?"

"It was good" Peter answered with a smile remembering the night before and a pair of beautiful blue eyes in moonlight.

"Oh I see you met someone, didn't you?" Adam guessed.

"Yes I did. A pretty young lab assistant. I'd like to see her again. If I did, would you have a problem with it?"

"Of course not. You deserve to be happy Dad. So when do we get to meet her?"


"I don't know. I haven't even asked her out yet. But she knows all about you guys."

"That's good then we won't scare her off. So bring her over sometime so we can meet her. But um Dad, I have a little problem I'm hoping you can help me with."

"What kind of problem son?"

"Well remember when I was a kid I had an imaginary friend named Windy?"

"Yeah I remember something about it. Why?"

"Well I sorta made her real. I thought she would help me with the kids while you was gone. But she caused more problems than helped and I was kinda hoping you would know how to reverse it."

"So I gather you discovered the potion on the chemistry table on how to do that."

"Yeah a long time ago but with the divorce and everything I didn't use it until now."

"I see but now your creation is becoming a little annoying."

"Kinda. I still like her but I think she made a better imaginary friend than a reel one. I don't know, she kinda reminds me of someone but I don't know who."

"Son I don't know of any way of reversing the potion. I wish you had waited until I was home or at least discussed it with me before you did this. But since it's done the only thing we can do is help her adjust to the real world. So where is she?"


Adam went to find Windy and brought her into the lab to meet his Dad. Adam introduced them and then listened quietly while his Dad explained the house rules to her. As feared, Windy disliked being told what to do and she especially disliked the idea of rules. She had pretty much did whatever she wanted until Peter came home and didn't like that it had all changed because an adult was taking charge. Adam was glad though as he was tired of having all the responsibility, he just wanted to be a carefree teen again.

After meeting Windy, Peter understood why Adam thought she reminded him of someone. She was remarkably similar to Vallari. Peter sincerely hoped Adam would not let himself believe he was in love her. He would not turn her out of the house, not matter who she reminds him of, she needed someone to take care of her, whether she thought so or not. It had been a long and exhausting day so Peter decided to turn in early.


The next morning Peter got the kids up and off to school and left for work. All day his thoughts kept turning to Jean and their moonlight stroll. He thought about their first kiss and the way she felt in his arms. He hoped to see her in the lab but remembered she was still at the conference and she wouldn't be back for another day.

When Peter came home from work, he checked the mail and found a letter from Jean. He felt his heart skip a beat and he was still smiling after he had finished reading her letter. As soon as he came into the house, he sat down and wrote her back. He found the words were just flowing and he poured his heart out to her. He knew he had to see her again.



 

7 comments:

  1. Oooh! Peter's so cute, the way he's thinking about Jean. She returned his letter! Eee! How exciting! Haha, I'm happy for him.
    I don't think Peter has anything to worry about as far as Adam falling for Windy, Adam already thinks Windy's annoying and no help like he wanted her to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter is always thinking of Jean and he was thrilled that she returned his letter.
      Adam may find Windy annoying but he also feels responsible for her too. Peter is concerned that sense of responsibility could be used against Adam.

      Delete
  2. Evesham you're good, you tease us with something and then let it go for a chapter so it mags at the back of the mind. I'm glad Adam is taking responsibility even if it's not the easiest thing... Perhaps the egging amd Windy situation will help him think things through a little more. And aww Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little teasing is good, isn't?
      Adam is a pretty responsible kid but there are times he does things without thinking, like egging his mom's house. But she deserved it. Windy's another story altogether and unfortunately is only to cause him heartache in the end. Peter's in love with the lab assistant. He deserves a little happiness!

      Delete
  3. Windy, why? :( poor Adam should have waited a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He should have waited but there's nothing that can be done about it now. Poor Adam has no idea what misery Windy is going to bring to his life and this is just the beginning.

      Delete